Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
...buncha young whipper-snappers....

Last edited by kennyc; 12-10-2012 at 07:28 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #32
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
My first computer was a Radio Shack one. Didn't have an accessible hard drive. Everything was done with floppies. 5 1/4 and 3 1/2. Next one was a Packard Bell. It had a 27 mb hard drive. I remember the sales person telling me I would never in a million years use all that memory.

I remember my brother in law, cousin and myself had a program that ran in DOS to message each other. I don't remember the name of the program now. It ran off a phone line. Had the computer and phone line hooked up to a switch box. It was like text messaging in the stone age. When the phone would ring my daughter used to say why don't you just call each other on the phone.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Another C64 user here. Loved that computer. We had 3 or 4 of them in the house and it was that machine that started me on the path to computer programming. I started teaching myself Pascal and C along with the BASIC that came with the OS.
I miss my C64. Even wrote my own version of Tetris on it in BASIC. Ran quite well, actually - but I found out that I had made it a little too large and had overwritten the memory addresses needed for saving to cassette (my 1541 disc drive had sorta, well, blown up :P).

I miss my Amiga 500 even more, though... Had to give up on it, though, after I somehow managed to make it impossible to boot from the hard drive carriage and found that my Workbench discs (both 2.1 and 1.3) had succumbed to bit rot.

EDIT: And, man, I miss the days of BBSes. Modern forums just don't have the same sense of community...

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #34
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post

EDIT: And, man, I miss the days of BBSes. Modern forums just don't have the same sense of community...
Agreed. Back than than BBS forums were much smaller. Today everyone and his grandmother are on forums. Its was more of a novelty back than.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #35
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm thinking I'd like to get the Nook HD.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm thinking I'd like to get the Nook HD.
It's a nice looking tablet (IMO). But you'd better take a close look at the Nook app store before you buy one. It's not good.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It's a nice looking tablet (IMO). But you'd better take a close look at the Nook app store before you buy one. It's not good.
I'm not a real heavy app user. I have less than 50 on my iPhone and of those, only really use about a dozen or so on a regular basis.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm not a real heavy app user. I have less than 50 on my iPhone and of those, only really use about a dozen or so on a regular basis.
Good...check and see if the ones you really will want, are available, there.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #39
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
So. Which tablet is everyone getting. Would be interesting to see the different picks of each one.
I just got the white and silver iPad mini and I'm loving it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #40
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My first computer was a Digi-Comp I, a mechanical digital computer. My first real computer was a VIC-20 (2K, cassette, but a "real" keyboard). I still have it. Then a C-64, an AT&T UNIX PC (I really liked it - no one else did), Amigas (2000 and 3000 - I still miss them), and a couple conventional PCs. I'm currently building my next one.

My wife has an Ipad. She uses it for videos, reading email, and Skype with the kids.

I have a Pandigital Novel, just to play around with it. It's good for games and the reading app is okay. Between my wife's Ipad and my PDN I'm pretty sure I don't need a tablet. My netbook is almost as portable as a tablet, and the keyboard makes it easier for sending email. Plus, I do use it for computer stuff -- spreadsheet, writing, audio work (my hobby), etc.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #41
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
Then I went to college, and had to get a 286 PC for my programming classes.
Man... I was soooo jealous of my friend's 286. It was blazing fast! So fast that he had to run a program to waste clock cycles to slow it down to play some games! That thing SCREAMED at 12 MHz compared to my 4.177 MHz 8088!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #42
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
1200 baud modems for bbs boards, would be painful to deal with today. I still have it around here too, I could never bring myself to part with it.
1200? Spoiled brat. I had 300 baud, and I was happy!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
1200? Spoiled brat. I had 300 baud, and I was happy!
Dude, try a 110 baud teletype....
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Dude, try a 110 baud teletype....
I knew somebody was going to one-up me. :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I knew somebody was going to one-up me. :-)
I think there were 75 baud or some such. When I first started in the computer repair business those were a big part of our business. Paper Tape punch/reader for storage/playback.