Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #46
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'm a gadget freak and am always looking for "excuses" to get a new one, but this just escapes me. I've been using my iPad for the past few hours and cannot find a single reason to get another one that's 2" smaller
I'd get one if it was small enough that with a cover fitted it would fit in a cargo pants pocket. The PRS-505 was ideally sized for that, the Nook Color with a cover is a little too big.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #47
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I'd get one if it was small enough that with a cover fitted it would fit in a cargo pants pocket. The PRS-505 was ideally sized for that, the Nook Color with a cover is a little too big.
If the nook color is too big, you can forget about the ipad mini. All the info so far points to something substantially larger than the current 7" tablets on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad-mini-nexus-7.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	93461  
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #48
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Agreed, but I think that Apple will have to work hard to convince even its fanbase to buy these things.

I'm a gadget freak and am always looking for "excuses" to get a new one, but this just escapes me. I've been using my iPad for the past few hours and cannot find a single reason to get another one that's 2" smaller
What can we say joehunt? We are happy you are happy. For you Steve jobs was totally on the mark.

Still you might have noticed that others for one reason or another like smaller devices than the iPad and even larger devices that the iPhone or iPod.

In fact Apple has realized that and produced a 4" screen.

So despite your lack of a desire for change, Apple might realize that others might like a smaller iPad.

The cost of course is another thing.
The Apple lovers will not quibble over any price. That much is assured. All these attempts to forsee what is coming by placing the mini iPad in a pricing group or order are foolish. Apple can charge the same as a larger iPad costs and the Apple faithful will buy it if they want a smaller size. Heck, they may end up with several sizes for different uses.

Other people might not buy at that price, but if it were lower, then maybe.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
And Steve saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

***iHeaven in the iCloud***

Shouldn't that be "and, behold, it was insanely great." ?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Probably... LOL
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #51
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
"Fools, fools all," you should say `behold, it was insanely Magical!`
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #52
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Sad thing is... Even though this is more a jab at their fanbase, it's mostly true.
It's mostly true except when products don't sell as the G4 Cube, that wonderful iPod speaker boombox that I don't remember the name, and the most recent failure Ping, which you would think everyone who used iTunes would have joined. Nope.

And here is another fun thing about Apple's "fanbase" the iPod was pretty much a failure until two things happen: 1) iTunes was release on Windows and 2) the iPod was release for Windows which was Apple's second generation iPod. So the fanbase who have been using Microsoft's Windows became Apple fans.

Years later, Apple becomes successful and people who buy Apple products are called iSheep, like they would automatically buy products. I have owned an iPhone 3 and 4, but currently use a Galaxy S3 and I think it's okay Android phone the screen is not the greatest and it's a big turn off.

If the iPad mini, can beat the Nexus 7 with it's poor storage space, the Kindle Fire HD where the screen is so small that magazine and comic book reading sucks, and the upcoming Nook HD, in which Barnes & Noble for whatever idiot reason won't allow apps from the Google Store so you have to rely on B&N poor selection of digital books, and no other way to read magazines except through B&N (I use Zinio, which works on the Kindle Fire HD).

I would be happy to buy an iPad mini if it meets my criteria of what a 7"-8" tablet be since I can read Kindle, B&N, and even Kobo books. Where I can read comics from Comixology, DC, & Marvel without one of them being exclusive looking at you B&N and Amazon. And finally read my Zinio magazines, along with other magazines. And since all of this reading requires local storage space in which the Kindle Fire HD has up to 32GB but no SD card while the Nook HD has 16 but upgradable to either 32GB or 64GB SD card (unsure since the specs are not detailed) and hopefully the upcoming iPad mini will have 32 or 64GB but knowing Apple they probably settle with 16 and 32GB.

My Comixology collection 6 months ago, took about 9GB of space, I wish there was a way I can move the files onto an SD card but no such luck. Not sure with my magazines.

Sorry for the rant but really it's just as bad as that stupid Samsung commercial making fun of people waiting in line. It's like making fun of people waiting in line for Star Wars or going to buy tickets to Prince, why? Just because they like something that you don't?
tron_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_1970 View Post
Sorry for the rant but really it's just as bad as that stupid Samsung commercial making fun of people waiting in line. It's like making fun of people waiting in line for Star Wars or going to buy tickets to Prince, why? Just because they like something that you don't?
The people who call apple's customers isheep are usually referring to those who buy their products simply because they have an apple on the back, or because they think they look cool with them, or both.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #54
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
I wonder who will buy an iPad mini? Those wanting a 7" screen will buy a Fire or Nexus 7 for $199. iPad owners will probably not be interested as there is not that much difference in screen size (2" ?). iPod touch owners really like the portability of a device with a 4" screen. I just can't figure out the market for this.
Me, for one. I just want something lighter for reading in bed.

I would never buy another brand of tablet, won't even consider it.

I'm going to have to compromise and go with a glo screen because I just don't think this minipad is going to happen.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The people who call apple's customers isheep are usually referring to those who buy their products simply because they have an apple on the back, or because they think they look cool with them, or both.
Do they give them a quiz before passing judgment?

Hilarious the way some people project their own insecurities on others.

Last edited by david_e; 10-05-2012 at 05:11 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It's like making fun of people waiting in line for Star Wars...

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I would be happy to buy an iPad mini if it meets my criteria of what a 7"-8" tablet be
Same here. But my criteria is 8-9in.
I already know 7in is too small for my purposes and 10in is too heavy.
Right now it's a toss-up between the FireHD9 and the NookHD+ (*if* it gets hacked to allow sideloading).
The baby Unicorn is a longshot and mostly because one rumor a while back said it would be unusually *light*. It was a bit higher on my list until Amazon and B&N had their say but now I doubt Apple can meet the size/screen/price sweetspot I want in a "Hardcover-class" color ebook reader. But I'm willing to consider it as long as its a magical cancer-curing rumor device.

(That's *all* I want: a universal reading device the size of a very thin hardcover. 6x9. I don't care about video or gaming or app stores or quad processors or bluetooth; just a great screen and a decent price on a device open to sideloading.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #58
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
NookHD doesn't allow sideloading? WTF?!?!
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #59
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
NookHD doesn't allow sideloading? WTF?!?!
Depends what you're talking about. Books, Magazines, Movies, yes. Apps, no.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Apps, no.
Nope.
They're worried you might put Coolreader or Aldiko or Bluefire or Moon Reader or Kobo on it.
Or Kindle.
Which *I* would. (All of the Above.)
In fact, I won't buy it if I can't.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote