Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One small problem with the Kindle

I've had my Kindle since September and I love it. I couldn't wait to take it on a trip with me. At last I wouldn't have to lug around 3 or 4 books. I could just take my nice little Kindle. This past Christmas I flew cross country to visit my son. My Kindle was great. I'd charged it up before I left, and with the WiFi off, the battery lasts a very long time. But I discovered a problem once I got into the hotel. Unlike a paperback, I couldn't leave my Kindle on the dresser when I went out. I had to pay a small daily fee for the in-room safe to store my Kindle when I wasn't in the room. I never thought of the fact that you have to keep your Kindle safe when traveling.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yup. Can't leave the Kindle by the pool either. Until eReaders drop to the price of 1-2 paperbacks, you've got to look after it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I guess that is one advantage that women have, most of is carry a purse. check into a man purse?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I guess that is one advantage that women have, most of is carry a purse. check into a man purse?
I'm still looking for that perfect Kindle purse. I think they need to start making purses with a cell phone sized pocket and an ereader sized pocket!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Where did you stay that you had to pay to use the safe? I have never had to do that and I have been to many countries, not South America though.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Where did you stay that you had to pay to use the safe?
I have come across this in the US. I think it is because US government travel, for example, sets a per diem rate for hotels which is easier to meet if they nickle and dime guests once they arrive. On the other hand, per diem is also why many hotels offer free breakfast. The traveler gets the breakfast money automatically and so chooses the hotels with a free breakfast.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I recently was at a hotel - I left the netbook on the desktop (password protected) and the kindle (also password protected) in my suitcase. While I can be pretty suspicious in such situations, I guess I decided that I cannot take everything every time I leave the hotel room. It would definitely depend on the nature of the hotel. I would be reluctant to leave the kindle on a table at a pool or blanket at a beach.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #8
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Yep - mine lives in my bag - whether I'm going to work, shop or just for a night out. So light and easy to show off that way!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Where did you stay that you had to pay to use the safe? I have never had to do that and I have been to many countries, not South America though.
I've been in plenty of hotels where there was a charge for the safe, not huge, but a charge nonetheless
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I take my Kindle everywhere. You never know when you might have a few minutes to read. I am a college lecturer so I read on the train to and from work and in-between lessons.
Regarding hotels, I always thought the safe was complementary. I don't know if I would be willing to pay extra for it and would just take the Kindle with me - its so light.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have left my Kindle and Netbook on the desk in the hotel I am staying at. If there is a free safe I lock it up otherwise I leave it out. At some point in time you have to trust people. If something goes missing from my room I can promise you that I would be calling down to the front desk and filing a police report.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Suggestions:

1) Get a "man purse", and/or
2) Take the Kindle with you and lock it in the car/trunk
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Check out the PacSafe Metro 200. It is a nice small bag that is secure and looks pretty boring. It is large enough to fit a netbook and a K1, I know, I used it for just that last year. I am using the Metro300 for my DX.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Talk about naïve, I left my Kindle in the hotel room every night for three weeks, didn't even think twice about it. Guess I need to reconsider.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraM View Post
I've had my Kindle since September and I love it. I couldn't wait to take it on a trip with me. At last I wouldn't have to lug around 3 or 4 books. I could just take my nice little Kindle. This past Christmas I flew cross country to visit my son. My Kindle was great. I'd charged it up before I left, and with the WiFi off, the battery lasts a very long time. But I discovered a problem once I got into the hotel. Unlike a paperback, I couldn't leave my Kindle on the dresser when I went out. I had to pay a small daily fee for the in-room safe to store my Kindle when I wasn't in the room. I never thought of the fact that you have to keep your Kindle safe when traveling.
are you telling me that when you are traveling you don't have a bag with your stuff in it? do you put your whole bag in a safe? if you do that already i don't see it as a bother. however if you don't store your bag in a safe when you are traveling then why don't you just put your kindle in your bag. Or put it in your luggage, whatever you happen to be traveling with. and put a combination lock on the zipper if that makes you feel better.
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, security, traveling