Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #61
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Opus does not have a "glossy covering"; it is a matt finish.
Yes Harry, that was mentioned after my comment, which was posted hours before yours. As I said, from the pictures it LOOKS glossy.

Quote:
Could you elaborate on this, please? What do you believe the shortcomings of the Opus to be? Just curious why you're so "down" on it. Have you used one?
And as I also mentioned, this is a personal preference based on looks and case-design, not on internal functions or support.

I do not like the rounded mac-type approach to current devices. Make it look pretty and regardless of how it works, people will buy.

I don't even know why you posted these two comments, except to be snarky. Both of these were already commented on and replied to hours before you jumped in. Do you like being over-critical of other people's opinions?

I can respect you for your opinions, and I question neither your expertise nor your skills or knowledge. The least you can do is have respect and consideration for mine, and others', opinions.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The Pocket PRO does have 14-20 formats on it. Yes, most are non-DRM, but that is consistent with any eBook Reader. Name one that has two DRM formats on it!
The Sony PRS-300!!! (and if I use my marketing skills, it has three).

Quote:
The Pocket PRO does have Adobe Digital Editions on it. You can buy the latest DRM titles from Sony ...
Is Sony currently selling DRM'd EPub, I thought it wasn't happening until the end of the year?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I don't even know why you posted these two comments, except to be snarky.
Simply that you seemed to be saying that, because you didn't like the case design, you thought that they hadn't put much work into the machine's functionality. That, at least, is how I interpreted your comment that:

Quote:
It looks like they spent so much time prettying up the outside. How much thought did they put into what really counts?
If I've misunderstood you, perhaps you could clarify what your meaning actually was?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #64
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh, I see. Then I apologize for the snarky comment

Speaking from personal opinion, as always, what counts to me is always the workings of the device first. I understand the outer shell is what people see first, and frankly, the Kindle, Opus and the new iRiver shells keep me away so that I do not even want to touch them. Not just the glaringly white (glossy or matte), but the sleek, frosted, rounded, futuristic looks. It's a huge turn-off to me personally.

That aside, the kindle's keyboard, in my opinion, should be smaller, no larger than, say, a blackberry keyboard. After all, you're not really going to use it for long perions, as the device isn't made to write a book, but to simply read, and occasionally look up a word. The keyboard could be smaller, and even hidden behind a slideout. Shrinking the keyboard down greatly would have made it more appealing, and as such, I might have given it more consideration.

Then again, locking you into buying books from only Amazon was a huge barrier that I found, and still find, insurmountable.

SO, I suppose putting that much R&D into a Concept Car design that is all "oooh and ahhh" puts into my mind that they are more worried about looks than they are function, and to me, that is not a company that puts their customers above their profit margins.

I hope this more-clarified. I crawled out of bed an hour ago and have not had any caffeine yet.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I entirely agree with you that function is what's important. Heck, the CyBook Gen3 is a very ugly machine, but it still works damned well.

By the way - in the photos on the Bookeen site the Opus looks "glarey white", as you comment. It's actually not; it's a rather subdued cream colour.
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #66
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Ahh, the old "let's make the picture look pretty" ploy. I'd much rather see exactly what I'm getting. If someone wanted a glossy white to match their Apple Mac, they'd have been upset.

Also, about the new iRiver Story. Is there a pic where you can actually SEE the device? I saw one image that showed the top edge connectors (i thought it was a mac laptop) and another with this top angle where you could barely make anything out. I've seen no full-frontal shots at all.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Also, about the new iRiver Story. Is there a pic where you can actually SEE the device? I saw one image that showed the top edge connectors (i thought it was a mac laptop) and another with this top angle where you could barely make anything out. I've seen no full-frontal shots at all.
There's a photo in the first post in this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55224

Looks Kindleish to me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #68
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Ahh yes, I was meaning a good professional shot of just the device. Also, the pic on the front is quite small. Were it a larger pic, it might suffice.

You'd think if they were going to announce the device, they'd have a good large pic of the front of the device for everyone to see.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't think "buggy" is the right word to use. Is the fact that the Jinke devices don't support hyperlinks any more of a "bug" than the fact that the Sony doesn't support full justification is?

Yes, all the Jinke devices currently have this limitation.
Sony's not having full justification for ADE is not a bug. It's due to Sony not using current ADE code. Lacking hyperlinks is definitely a bug.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Also, take a look at the design of the device.

The design of the EZR and PEZ are not modern, nor attractive in the modern sense. (As a matter of fact, I would love to be able to put the PEZ inside the case-design of the 505.) As for the Astak devices, they are practical, and have put much of the R&D into the inner workings and build quality, which accounts for such low returns from fry's and high sales in China and Europe.
How is Astak putting much R&D into the inner workings? It's just a rebranded V3 or V5. The inner workings come from Jinke.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony's not having full justification for ADE is not a bug. It's due to Sony not using current ADE code. Lacking hyperlinks is definitely a bug.
With respect, Jon, unless you know for a fact that Jinke intended to implement hyperlink support, and the code to do so doesn't work, you cannot claim that this is a "bug". There are lots of file formats which support hyperlinks, but for which a specific implementation of the reading application does not implement them. To name but one of many examples, the Sony Reader does not support hyperlinks in RTF files, and yet the format supports them. Is that a "bug"? Is the fact that the Kindle DX doesn't support hyperlinks in PDF files a "bug"? I could give you a dozen more examples. You may consider these to be "undesirable", but that does not make them "bugs".
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #72
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is Astak putting much R&D into the inner workings? It's just a rebranded V3 or V5. The inner workings come from Jinke.
Thank you again, Capt. Obvious.

The device is made Jinke, not Astak. Astak just rebranded it. You are correct on this.

When talking about the Astak device, in terms of hardware, format support, etc...it should be apparent to anyone that I am referring to the manufacturer, not the distributor.

Last edited by griffonwing; 09-04-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #73
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And RTF?
Yes, RTF is supported and native doc files as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #74
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
[QUOTE=HarryT;579926]With respect, Jon, unless you know for a fact that Jinke intended to implement hyperlink support, and the code to do so doesn't work, you cannot claim that this is a "bug". There are lots of file formats which support hyperlinks, but for which a specific implementation of the reading application does not implement them.[QUOTE]

I suppose it depend on what the ePub specification says. Must a conformant implementation support hyper links or full justification?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #75
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The Sony PRS-300!!! (and if I use my marketing skills, it has three).

Is Sony currently selling DRM'd EPub, I thought it wasn't happening until the end of the year?
Actually it has 2, LRX and ADE although ADE supports two formats there is only one DRM. I believe Sony is rolling out DRM'd ePUB and that all eBooks will be in this format by the end of the year but I don't know when the first will begin to appear. I suspect they won't wait and then switch them all at once.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote