Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
manga?

There is a question over at the amazon kindle discussion forums.

Can you read manja or animes on the Kindle? This is not something I would ever read, so I'm asking the experts here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You can read the on the Sony, so I can't see why not. Sony's store has a manga section.

I heard complaints on reading them on the 505, I think they are really meant for the 700.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You can read the on the Sony, so I can't see why not. Sony's store has a manga section.

I heard complaints on reading them on the 505, I think they are really meant for the 700.
I'm a bit curious about the complaints that have been voiced.
Can you elaborate on this ?
If you feel it's too much out of topic (as it's a Kindle thread), we can make a separate post.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I'm a bit curious about the complaints that have been voiced.
Can you elaborate on this ?
If you feel it's too much out of topic (as it's a Kindle thread), we can make a separate post.
Here's a particular post on it at dear author:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2009...-noob-ereader/
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Andurian
You really should try it!
Andurian doesn't litterAndurian doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
While I can't comment on the Kindle, I think the screen on the Sonys is the same. I have read Full Metal Alchemist and FLCL on my Sony 500 (I own the paper versions) and the experience was good overall. Page turns were a little slow and it seemed to drain the battery a little quicker than normal, but visually it was perfect.

American comics aren't as good, primarily because of the reduction in size renders the text very hard to read. Also because, unlike Manga, most american comics are in color. Watchmen was completely unreadable because of the text and having looked at it I wouldn't have wanted to read it in B&W anyhow.

Tales of the Beanworld (owned on paper as both individual comics and collections) was great on my reader, though.

Last edited by Andurian; 01-21-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added experience with Watchmen
Andurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Doesn't anyone with a Kindle on this forum read Manga? A Kindle sale could ride on the answer........or I could tell then to come here and see about a different device.

Yeah. Thats it. I'll go.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I think the allusion to the 700 being a better device for reading manga is that the rate of refresh on the 700 is faster than on the 505 but the picture that Jan showed with the manga on her 505 is certainly nice.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
meibao
meibao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
don't have a kindle yet but I've read on some other sites that it is possible to read manga on a kindle. It's recommended that the image files be placed in a folder (consider the folder to be like one volume/book of the manga) and use the picture view to read the manga.
meibao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
A bigger screen would be recommended, but most manga can be read in any 6" eink ereader. Comics is another matter, not only they are scanned from bigger sized books, but they are usually in color and more text heavy, usually with smaller fonts. Just like PDFs usually are meant for bigger screens.

So I would say the Kindle does the job, but it's not the ideal.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Mangle makes Manga on the Kindle awesome:
http://www.foosoft.net/mangle/
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #11
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
Nice.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
MoboHobo
Banned
MoboHobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I was thinking the same thing about a bigger screen for this type of stuff. But it should still be alright.
MoboHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoboHobo View Post
I was thinking the same thing about a bigger screen for this type of stuff. But it should still be alright.
Oh it's perfect... the screen is almost 1:1 the same size as most my manga anyways... just the 2-page layouts can get a little hard to read, but most of the 2-page layouts are there to show art anyways.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
Effect
Effect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequited View Post
This is very nice. I just wish one didn't have to go looking for fan translations though.

What we need is for a company to do what iVerse Media is doing with comics on the iPhone/Touch and Google's new Android phone on the Kindle. Not direct conversion of comics or manga but breaking them down panel by panel or panels in the Kindle's case as the screen is bigger.

I wish Amazon would take the bull by the horns and at least put out examples of this can be done. Normal western comics might be out of the question since they are in color but manga would be perfect on the Kindle if it was supported or at least sold by Amazon.
Effect is offline   Reply With Quote