Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Why is it that everyone seems to want a laptop. I worry that desktop computers might become a thing of the past. We all have a laptop regardless of our needs to actually move around with it. I'm sure many just keep it at home on their desk so the "portable" specificity isn't used.
Laptops provide flexibility. For most people, a laptop is enough computer and prices are reasonable.

The reason I could put my hands on that info so quickly is that I just purchased a new computer. I looked at laptops and decided to go with a desktop. This one. For $400.

- case has accomodations for two additional disks
- PCIe slot for improved graphics if appropriate, though HD 4000 is capable out of the box
- HDMI connector for second display
- Fast CPU with upgrade path to i7
- 7200rpm 1t disk
- Quad core for multitasking
- 8g of RAM

It's all packed in a really nice case that is spacious without taking up a lot of room. You can't get that in a laptop.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't think desktops are going to go away, they provide power at lower cost. Plus you can have a really big monitor with it. You just don't see people's desktops, because they don't lug them around. I recently bought a Chromebook, and I'm happy with it. Not for everyone, of course, but I already have a desktop for things that I can't do with just the web.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Laptop and a nice big screen that lives on the desk with the scanner and printer?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I don't think desktops are going to go away, they provide power at lower cost. Plus you can have a really big monitor with it. You just don't see people's desktops, because they don't lug them around. I recently bought a Chromebook, and I'm happy with it. Not for everyone, of course, but I already have a desktop for things that I can't do with just the web.
The problem is that 90% of the desktops are AC laptops. The all in one boards do not include slots for upgrades. The power supplies are just enough to power the system. The cases are too small for even an additional disk. I had resigned myself to a laptop until I stumbled across the dreamy lenovo.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Laptop and a nice big screen that lives on the desk with the scanner and printer?
I have a Brother Networked 'All in one ' MFC Laser.
Scan, print, FAX from any of my windows machines, mostly Print (for my model) from Linux (because not direct connect) .
If I opened the proper port on my router: You could print to it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
wizwor
Wizard

OP, this might be good for your needs...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230600
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/8349...cell-windows-8
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #22
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I don't know what the situation is with current Lenovo laptops, but the last ThinkPad I bought was very reliable.

On desktop vs. laptop, I bought a laptop for when I travel. This isn't day to day travelling, but the longer trips that I sometimes endure since I live in a remote community. That being said, I far prefer building my own desktop. The main reason is servicability since most of the components can be swapped out when they fail. Of course the irony is that desktops fail less often because they are transported less often. The other part of the reason for building my own desktop is because it's fun. Laptop purchases are a chore (in my humble opinion) because it is a matter of finding something that meets my needs at a reasonable price. Desktops building is fun because I get to research the various parts and get exactly what I want.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I far prefer building my own desktop. The main reason is servicability since most of the components can be swapped out when they fail. Of course the irony is that desktops fail less often because they are transported less often. The other part of the reason for building my own desktop is because it's fun. Laptop purchases are a chore (in my humble opinion) because it is a matter of finding something that meets my needs at a reasonable price. Desktops building is fun because I get to research the various parts and get exactly what I want.
I like to build/upgrade/repair. It's an itch I need to scratch from time to time. It's tough for me to build, though, because it costs SO much more than off the shelf. Take the Lenove I just purchased...

Staples Item: 985090
Model: 57311430
Price: $399.99

Let's ignore, case, power supply, optical drive, keyboard, mouse, etc.

8g DDR3 1333MHz: Newegg $34
Genuine Windows 8: Dell $70
Desktop Hard Drive Size 1TB 7200rpm: ErwinComp $57
i5-3330 (boxed): SuperBiiz.Com $184
1155 board with PCIe slot: CostCentral $60

That's $405 and I chose low cost sellers of inexpensive parts. Another $50 for a PSU and a case, $20 for optical drive, $30 for keyboard and mouse. All of a sudden, you are about $500.

But wait! I used staples gift cards to purchase that computer. When I get my discover cash back, I can buy $25 staples gift cards for $20, so my out of pocket ('cause I could have taken cash) for the computer was only $320.

So it would have cost me more than 50% more to build than buy -- and this was *exactly* what I wanted. Plus this single purchase takes me halfway to premier status which entitles me to recycle 10 more carts per month for a total of $240 (ignoring double and triple recycle promotions).

To be honest, I enjoy playing the promotions almost as much as building computers and I look forward to every basket case that comes my way.

Last edited by wizwor; 11-21-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I don't know what the situation is with current Lenovo laptops, but the last ThinkPad I bought was very reliable.

On desktop vs. laptop, I bought a laptop for when I travel. This isn't day to day travelling, but the longer trips that I sometimes endure since I live in a remote community. That being said, I far prefer building my own desktop. The main reason is servicability since most of the components can be swapped out when they fail. Of course the irony is that desktops fail less often because they are transported less often. The other part of the reason for building my own desktop is because it's fun. Laptop purchases are a chore (in my humble opinion) because it is a matter of finding something that meets my needs at a reasonable price. Desktops building is fun because I get to research the various parts and get exactly what I want.
I think there are 2 levels of thinkpads (same with other manufacturers)
There is the industrial T series (T as in built like a Tank )
and the retail, 'Consumer' line

When I hear 'Lenovo', I think the "T" series for quality and ruggedness
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
This is the one I ordered yesterday. It's very bare bones (exactly what I was looking for) and can't beat the $249 price. No fighting the crowds or getting stuck in traffic, plus Newegg charges no tax or shipping fees.

I just checked the tracking order and it's here! Probably be delivered tomorrow.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #26
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I like to build/upgrade/repair. It's an itch I need to scratch from time to time. It's tough for me to build, though, because it costs SO much more than off the shelf.
Yeah, it has been like that for a while. Granted, about 70% of the price difference (before discounts) is for the operating system. Like the case, power supply, and optical drive, it can be carried forward as you upgrade. RAM and hard drives are sometimes an issue too: I've found that systems vendors tend to charge a lot to upgrade the RAM and hard drive. Often the RAM slots are filled, meaning that you have to replace it if you're doing the upgrade yourself. Many systems don't even have the space to add a secondary hard drive, meaning that you have to replace it if you're doing the upgrade yourself. The list can go on, depending upon your requirements.

Anyhow, at least the options are out there so people can buy what they want and in the form they want: laptops, prebuilt desktops, custom built systems, and home built.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I generally have desktops built specifically to order, but quite like Dell for our notebooks.

Going to break tradition when I replace our Dell netbook with a Macbook Air (13" 128Gb SSD, 8Gb RAM). The netbook, bag and charger weigh close to 3kg, whilst the Macbook Air comes in at just over 1.3kg. As we use the netbook for our travel PC, weight is very important when it comes to cabin luggage weights.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I like to build/upgrade/repair. It's an itch I need to scratch from time to time. It's tough for me to build, though, because it costs SO much more than off the shelf. Take the Lenove I just purchased...
I build all of my desktop myself, on other hand I'm a gamer too. So I prefer to have power. They tend to be rather pricy, 700-900€ for parts for the machine, the other stuff is added to that. Also, I don't go to the cheapest options, but good power or quality point. Hmm need to find money to upgrade the other desktop... Also the other stuff can also be quite expensive, like the 150€ keyboard I got on this machine ;D
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've had good luck with Dell Laptops both work and personal. I've used four different high-end models i5 and i7 over the last few years and have had only two problems. Had to replace the battery in a work laptop and had to replace the hard drive (which I did myself) in the laptop I use at home for a DVR(e.g. it runs constantly and drive died after 2 years).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
I have a Brother Networked 'All in one ' MFC Laser.
Scan, print, FAX from any of my windows machines, mostly Print (for my model) from Linux (because not direct connect) .
If I opened the proper port on my router: You could print to it.
sure, I network my printer too. But he do still need a desk on which to sit. And I have to go pick up the output from time to time
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote