Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 AM   #1606
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: That'd been a good way to handle a quick hotfix, yeah , but I took the opportunity to update some stuff while I was at it, so, full rebuild ;p.

EDIT: There, snapshots updated, everything should be alright now .
That did it..all fixed!! Thanks!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #1607
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GoSharks: Yay! Thanks again for your tests and logs, I wasn't expecting something like that, went looking in all the wrong directions until then .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #1608
Milbert
Milbert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
@knc1: all the books have a cover - all worked fine until update to FW 5.6.1.1

@NiLuJe: I installed latest snapshots too - it seems to work again now!

Last edited by Milbert; 07-27-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Milbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #1609
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbert View Post
@knc1: all the books have a cover - all worked find until update to FW 5.6.1.1

@NiLuJe: I installed latest snapshots too - it seems to work again now!
Yes, I missed that point (that this was a working installation at one time).

But sometimes, it helps to question the obvious.
Not everything here is "Engineered" - sometimes we just get lucky.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #1610
Milbert
Milbert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, I missed that point (that this was a working installation at one time).
haha, ok - my fault... it seems I wrote this info in my mind only into my initial post ... ;-)

Last edited by Milbert; 07-27-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Milbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #1611
Calleja
Enthusiast
Calleja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi, the first post seems to mention new versions uploaded a few days ago, but the attached files are old ones(21 and 11), where can we get ScreenSavers v0.23.N and Python v0.13.N?
Calleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #1612
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleja View Post
Hi, the first post seems to mention new versions uploaded a few days ago, but the attached files are old ones(21 and 11), where can we get ScreenSavers v0.23.N and Python v0.13.N?
On this forum's index page:

Prefix filter drop-down: Tools
Click 'show threads'
Scroll to: NiLuJe's snapshot thread, click that, enjoy.

And be quick about it, there is a new OTA update in the air for the PW2 which may break everything if you let it install.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #1613
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:
On this forum's index page:

Prefix filter drop-down: Tools
Click 'show threads'
Scroll to: NiLuJe's snapshot thread, click that, enjoy.

And be quick about it, there is a new OTA update in the air for the PW2 which may break everything if you let it install.
Thanks! Now this will probably be a stupid question but the filetypes there are .xz, haven't seen those before, how do I unpack/convert them to rar?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #1614
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleja View Post
Thanks! Now this will probably be a stupid question but the filetypes there are .xz, haven't seen those before, how do I unpack/convert them to rar?
7-zip if your using Windoze (you failed to say).

Why in the world do you want to store anything using a propritary archiving utility (.rar)?
Because Bill Gates told you to? (so it must be true)
You read it on the Internet? (it really, really must be true in that case)

(7-zip will also unrar your collection rar archives.)
http://www.7-zip.org/

Last edited by knc1; 08-10-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #1615
Calleja
Enthusiast

Quote:

Why in the world do you want to store anything using a propritary archiving utility (.rar)?
It's the format NiLuJe uses in the files in the first post which I've been using for a while now, no need to get snippy and disrespectful.

Thanks for your (sarcastic) help.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #1616
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Question

Quote:
7-zip if your using Windoze (you failed to say).

(7-zip will also unrar your collection rar archives.)
http://www.7-zip.org/
Just curious, is plain old zip format propritary?? So as to be reason for not using it instead of tar.xz...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #1617
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Just curious, is plain old zip format propritary?? So as to be reason for not using it instead of tar.xz...
No (It was at one time, but no longer).

And NiLuJe chooses to use xz to conserve bandwidth.
It is a common trend now among those who host files for that reason.

There is a big world outside of (the) Windows.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #1618
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
On a sidenote, most of these are distributed as xz compressed tarballs (because it's much, much more efficient) so you'll need GNU tar/bsdtar + xz-utils on Linux/BSD/OS X, and something that can handle those files on Windows (f.g., 7-zip or WinRAR 5). On Windows, be extremely wary of unarchiving software providing a 'smart' CR/LF handling [i.e., WinZip]: do NOT let it affect the line endings of these files, because that would break things in fun and interesting ways.
(emphasis mine)

If someone feels that wasn't (already) clear enough, please tell NiLuje how he can clarify it further.

Aside: Why exactly would one decompress and recompress a one-time-use file for long-term storage -- just to make an arbitrary switch in compression formats?
I can understand saving an offline copy I guess -- personally I like reinstalling only from the latest snapshots Just In Case. But you *could* just leave it alone, since it is already compressed...

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-10-2015 at 06:41 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:33 AM   #1619
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, I have to resort to split archives and the RAR format to get under MR's 20MB attachment limit on (some) release packages, it's not really by choice .

Hence the freedom of using something more efficient for the snapshots, since those, I host myself .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #1620
knc1
Going Viral

Both gnu and bsd tar do multi-volume sets, with or without ("tape") labels.
A file can even span multiple volumes (and you can set the volume size in "tape blocks" for each volume).

It may seem strange to have an IBM format tape label in the header of an archive file, but that is what you get.
(It was the most widely supported label format back when tar was being developed.)

At least with an archive file (instead of a physical reel) you don't have problems with someone putting the wrong (or a blank) seal ring on the reel, nor having the glue dry up on the external reel label and you have to guess which of the dried up labels in the bottom of the tape cabinet belong on the reel in your hand.

Ah, what fun it was, 20th. century computing.

Last edited by knc1; 08-12-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch