Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur
ereaderundecided began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question How to export Highlights

Hey guys,

I'm currently still undecided which eBook reader to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Sony PRS-T2 OR the the PocketBook 622.

My main criteria is that there must be some way to export my highlights on ePub and mobi. (I don't care about any notes=drawings).

What I found out however, it that the PRS-T2 only support 140 characters with the send to Evernote feature. I'm mean WTF?! Why even bother with implementing that feature if it only supports 140 characters! That should have been a no-brainer

Now, the Kindle does, however, have a clippings file that you can work with and there are several tools out there for exporting these clippings e.g.

http://www.klippingskollector.com
https://sites.google.com/site/kindlethearr/klippings/

But, I don't like the Kindle because of the closed eco-system and it does not support epub.

Question: Is there anyway I can export my highlights (ePub and mobi) from the Sony or Pocketbook reader in a txt form? I wouldn't mind installing or findeling with some coded tool. I just want to export all my highlights from a book into an editable form.

Question: In what format are the highlights saved on the Sony PRS-T2?
Question: In what format are the highlights saved on the PocketBook 622?

Why hasn't this been implemented already? Is there no demand for such a feature? Am I the only one that really uses the feature?

Last edited by ereaderundecided; 09-05-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: .
ereaderundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It seems to me that e-reader manufacturers are too afraid of being sued for helping anyone "pirate content" to allow anything but rudimentary exporting of highlights.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It seems to me that e-reader manufacturers are too afraid of being sued for helping anyone "pirate content" to allow anything but rudimentary exporting of highlights.
Based on that I have been pirating book all my life, as I have highlighted many, many physical book passages with a highlighter been Come on, your guilty of that too

No, but in all seriousness, that to me is just ridiculous from a manufacture perspective. Well, sad really...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
Hey guys,

I'm currently still undecided which eBook reader to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Sony PRS-T2 OR the the PocketBook 622.

My main criteria is that there must be some way to export my highlights (I don't care about any notes=drawings).

What I found out however, it that the PRS-T2 only support 140 characters with the send to Evernote feature. I'm mean WTF?! Why even bother with implementing that feature if it only supports 140 characters! That should have been a no-brainer

Now, the Kindle does, however, have a clippings file that you can work with and there are several tools out there for exporting these clippings e.g.

http://www.klippingskollector.com
https://sites.google.com/site/kindlethearr/klippings/

But, I don't like the Kindle because of the closed eco-system and it does not support epub.

Question: Is there anyway I can export my highlights from the Sony or Pocketbook reader in a txt form? I wouldn't mind installing or findeling with some coded tool. I just want to export all my highlights from a book into an editable form.

Question: In what format are the highlights saved on the Sony PRS-T2?
Question: In what format are the highlights saved on the PocketBook 622?

Why hasn't this been implemented already? Is there no demand for such a feature? Am I the only one that really uses the feature?
You can without problems export your highlighting in text with Onyx Boox i62HD or Onyx Boox M92.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
You can without problems export your highlighting in text with Onyx Boox i62HD or Onyx Boox M92.
What is the process of exporting the highlights? And how are the highlights exported? The specs of the device say nothing about this feature. I wouldn't be interested in exporting the highlights on a PDF, but with ePub and mobi.

Last edited by ereaderundecided; 09-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is the process of exporting the highlights? And how are the highlights exported? The specs of the device say nothing about this feature. I wouldn't be interested in exporting the highlights on a PDF, but with ePub and mobi.
It is quite easy.
Open your EPUB document with PDF Reader. You can highlight some text passages with annotation tool. This highlighted passages can be additionally commented by you. In annotations menu you can select "export annotations". A new TXT file in same folder will be created (your_epub_name.epub._annot_text.txt in same folder as the source document)

Your annotation in it look like:

[page: 23]

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments
------------------------------------
[page: 27]

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum.

your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments your comments

etc.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:
It is quite easy.
Open your EPUB document with PDF Reader. You can highlight some text passages with annotation tool. This highlighted passages can be additionally commented by you. In annotations menu you can select "export annotations". A new TXT file in same folder will be created (your_epub_name.epub._annot_text.txt in same folder as the source document)
Sounds promising. Would love to see some English reviews.

BTW, what is the difference between the version on your website and the Onyx BOOX i62 Touch Espresso?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Sounds promising. Would love to see some English reviews.

BTW, what is the difference between the version on your website and the Onyx BOOX i62 Touch Espresso?

1.Our devices (Onyx Boox i62HD) have got the best available E-Ink Pearl HD screen with much better contrast and resolution of 1024 x 758 (instead 800 x 600 in BOOX i62 Touch Espresso)

2. Our devices have got 8GB of Flash Memory (instead of 4 GB by BOOX i62 Touch Espresso)

3. In the scope of delivery of our device we have additionaly a very good cover and wall charger. In scope of delivery of BOOX i62 Touch Espresso you just will get the device itself and USB cable.

4. Our software is free of third party licensed stuff and we are permanently working on improvements with a lot of volunteers from MR communitiy
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Sounds very enticing! I have heard that the backlight version is coming soon. Any words on that? :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:

4. Our software is free of third party licensed stuff and we are permanently working on improvements with a lot of volunteers from MR communitiy
When you say "we" can you elaborate how many people are working on improving the software? Any do you have roadmap of already planned (fix) and ideas of what's upcoming (committed feature and uncommitted features)?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Based on that I have been pirating book all my life, as I have highlighted many, many physical book passages with a highlighter been Come on, your guilty of that too

No, but in all seriousness, that to me is just ridiculous from a manufacture perspective. Well, sad really...
It's not the highlighting, but the exporting as text that's the problem. You could highlight whole chapters, export, et voila, un-DRMed copies made without having to break any "digital locks". I expect the textbook publishers would be pretty unhappy about something like that.

I think it's great that the Boox models can do it. I just don't expect the manufacturers tied to book vending to follow suit.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Pocketbook doesn't offer a way to export notes built into their firmware. But the notes for all books are stored in <DriveLetter>:\system\config\Active Contents as html files. You can copy as needed from there. You can view the notes on the PB and change what is displayed (Table of Contents, Notes, Bookmarks). Whatever is selected here is what is saved in the html file. You can easily open the book at a note from within this view. The back button will take you back to your notes.

One of the things (for me anyway) that makes pocketbook a superior reader for note taking is the fact that you can have multiple books open at the same time.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard

Aren't the highlighted parts stored as images rather than text?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur

Quote:
It is quite easy.

Your annotation in it look like:

[page: 23]

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

[page: 27]

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum.

etc.
@Booxtor:
What is the character limit on the Onyx device (ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY)? Or is it more or less unlimited?

And is it possible to get the ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY without the 16GB microSD card? 200 EUR is very expensive as the old device was around 170-180 EUR :-( And on top of that there a 4,90 EUR charge for postage for a 200 EUR device?

Last edited by ereaderundecided; 09-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
@Booxtor:
What is the character limit on the Onyx device (ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY)? Or is it more or less unlimited?

And is it possible to get the ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY without the 16GB microSD card? 200 EUR is very expensive as the old device was around 170-180 EUR :-( And on top of that there a 4,90 EUR charge for postage for a 200 EUR device?
There are actually no limits.

About price. 16GB Micro SDCard is a part of scope of delivery and is rather a gift. Of course we could offer just device itself (without any equipment) to advertise lower prices (as some competitors do). But we tried already this experiment in the past - 99% prefer to get the complete set.

Just for your information In Russia similar device (nickname Aurora - no audio output and no support for stardict dictionaries) will be sold for RUR8999 =EUR224

Additionaly you can save some money if you order more than one unit (one for you and one for your mother-in-law)