Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #46
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm very unimpressed with these new models, but I admit we don't know a whole lot about them. Maybe they have proper folder support now.

The thing that worries me a bit is what will become of my beloved 505 reader? I'm actually just about to order a very expensive cover for it to better protect it and as a fun gift to myself, however what if my 505 gives up the ghost on me soon? It shouldn't, but if it does die does it mean I'll have to either hope for good luck on ebay to find another 505 or have to consider one of the new Sony models that so far don't impress? Bah. "What ifs"
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #47
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Another tidbit: it seems PRS-300 will come with a "sleeve" instead of the usual "soft cover".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #48
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Another tidbit: it seems PRS-300 will come with a "sleeve" instead of the usual "soft cover".
I'm OK with that, as long as it comes standard with some protection (and hopefully an option to buy the other cover). This also points to dropping to Reader to a low price point. If this is true, this is super stellar news. A low price point would seriously open up the market, especially coming from a reputable company.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #49
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm OK with that, as long as it comes standard with some protection (and hopefully an option to buy the other cover). This also points to dropping to Reader to a low price point. If this is true, this is super stellar news. A low price point would seriously open up the market, especially coming from a reputable company.
That would actually be a major turning point for me: I could maybe afford an e-reader!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
That would actually be a major turning point for me: I could maybe afford an e-reader!
eReader is free. Just download it from eReader.com.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #51
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Purposefully failing to understand something is the ultimate sign of the superior intellect.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #52
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bah, you know what I mean! I still have problems with terminology...
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #53
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I don't think it's relevant whether the Wi-Fi is really needed. It's the main advantage of the Kindle - being able to load the content without connecting to the computer. That's why people want Kindle.

I understand it is not a big deal to connect the USB cable. I've been doing it for years and years. But that's not what the customers want. The customers want their books downloaded directly to the ebook reader.

In fact, I am quite shocked that after so many rumors and customer requests Sony came up with two unconnected readers whose only advantage seems to be their "lower" price. Absolutely ridiculous.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #54
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
pdf's seem to be removed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I don't think it's relevant whether the Wi-Fi is really needed. It's the main advantage of the Kindle - being able to load the content without connecting to the computer. That's why people want Kindle.
The Kindle does not have WiFi; it has a cellular telephone connection. They are entirely different things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #56
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Colour me unimpressed. I love my prs505 (the weight and metallic industrial nature of the design give it some substance) but these look like a step-backward design wise. Come on Sony, get the Vaio team on this and give us something worthy.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #57
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If it would have been a 9"model I would have been interested.
The 600 looks ok, though I have a silver 505, and the metallic paint feels cold to the touch, which is rather unpleasant to hold.
It looks nice, and probably offers a slight better protection than the cheaper plastic cover, but.. has drawbacks too.

I'm sure these models have upgraded hardware, faster page turns, and more diskspace. Perhaps even for a lower or the same price.

I don't really like the large frame around the screen (=bezel?). On the 5" device it just looks huge because it's a small device.
But on the 600 the bezel looks larger than on my 505 (at least that's the impression I have).

I don't really like touchscreen for changing pages, so the buttons will be more than welcome; although it looks to me that they might be harder to reach,and are very small.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle does not have WiFi; it has a cellular telephone connection. They are entirely different things.
TRUE! I've got a Kindle 2 and the their Whispernet is Sprint and even in 3G it is incredibly slow. It sometimes takes 30 minutes to download a book when not in 3G, and you cannot use the Kindle 2 while it is downloading. Wireless LAN would be next to useless outside the home as most wireless routers are now protected and locked. BTW: The web features on the Kindles are mostly useless because the processor is too slow to support them, and Whispernet will eat up a battery charge in just a few hours.

It seems to me that the manuals are in the early state of development. If they are the most recent editions, then I would not expect an August release. Of course the information that has been discovered could be old.

I like the idea of the 600 not having the light so that the screen is crisp and readable like my 505. I also like the touchscreen. But beyond that, any new functionality needs to come in better firmware and format supports. That is, interactive dictionary, bookmarking by being able to highlight specific text (not whole pages), true customizable folder/directory support, etc.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #59
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Did anyone copy those PDFs? The access has been removed.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #60
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It seems to me that the manuals are in the early state of development. If they are the most recent editions, then I would not expect an August release. Of course the information that has been discovered could be old.
They're service manuals, not user manuals. As such, they provide information about the hardware only--there's really nothing about the software side of things. If they're releasing these models any time this year, then it's safe to say that the hardware design is finalized and that the service manuals should be considered reliable.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote