Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
SD cards - how do they work?

Okay, I'm dumb, that is, until something is explained to me.

I have a 2GB sd card which a techie friend bought me; he also bought me a usb card reader because I haven't got an sd card slot on my laptop. But I'm not sure how to use them so that I can write ebooks onto the card.

I know the long-winded version of sticking the card into my prs then using the sony software to move books already loaded on the reader onto the card. (Sorry, seem to be having a syntax breakdown this morning!) But I want to more directly load the books from my pc onto the sd card.

er..... how do I do this. Plain English please. I may not be blonde but I'm dumb until I know how.

Thanks
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It's easy, don't worry. You first have to put the card in the Sony REader and turn the reader on. This creates the directory structure on the SD Card.

Put the SD Card in the Card Reader and attach it to your computer.

Then (assuming you have Windows) you can launch Windows Explorer. Under the Computer section, you'll see a drive letter for the SD Card.Click the plus sign to expand the SD Card; you'll see the directories created by the Sony Reader.

Now you can drag & drop book files from your computer to the Books directory on the SD Card.

Hope that helps.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
siulayhumga
Connoisseur
siulayhumga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
This is from my personal experience and it seems to be sd card specific.After you did the steps mentioned by "doreenjoy" ...

Always click "no" or "Cancel". if windows complain saying the "SD card" is bad and need to be scan (or what ever it think it need to do to the card".

I have 2 SD cards which works fine on 505 b4 but now refuse to read after it go through the Windows scan.
siulayhumga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
But I want to more directly load the books from my pc onto the sd card.
Take the USB card reader in one hand and the SD card in the other. Insert the SD card into the slot in the card reader. Now plug the card reader into a USB slot on your PC. (I'm assuming this is a Windows PC.) Over in the lower right corner of your screen, you'll see some messages pop up indicating that the PC has seen a new device ... that it's loading the drivers ... and eventually that your new device is ready to use. (See the first attached file, "MyComputer-image.gif")

Now open "My Computer", which should display a list of the drives on your computer. If the SD card has been in the Sony reader, it will have this directory structure:
Code:
(/)
|____Sony Reader
          |______database
If the SD card has not been in the Sony reader, it may not have those directories, but it doesn't matter. The Sony will process any book, regardless of which directory it is in.

Now just copy any compatible eBook file onto the SD card. In my second attached file ("SonySDCard.gif"), you'll see that I copied a PDF file into the root directory. And in the third attached file ("SonySDCard-2.gif") you'll see that I uploaded an ePub file into the drive:\Sony Reader\database directory.

The fourth and fifth attached files ("SonyScan-1.jpg" and "SonyScan-2.jpg") show these two books on the Sony reader. Note the little icon next to the title indicating that the book is on the SD card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyComputer-image.gif
Views:	352
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	32209   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonySDCard.gif
Views:	361
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	32212   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonySDCard-2.gif
Views:	391
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	32213   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyScan-1.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	32217   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyScan-2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	32218  
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The fourth and fifth attached files ("SonyScan-1.jpg" and "SonyScan-2.jpg") show these two books on the Sony reader. Note the little icon next to the title indicating that the book is on the SD card.
Catching up on your Andre Norton I see.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks for all the help. I didn't put the sd cart into the 505 before I inserted it into the reader. (I did this before Doreen replied to me and after watching a few youtube vids about sd cards). Will this make much difference? The reader seems to recognise all the books I put on the card.

Easy when you know how, but I'm a bit scared of technology initially. I used to be a technophobe!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If the books on your SD card are showing up on your Reader, I wouldn't worry too much about the finer details.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
voidIndigo
Enthusiast
voidIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, REB 1200, Kobo Glo
We only fear what we do not know. Except, of course, spiders! And needles! And high places! And the yellow color! (don't ask)

I hope this is one more thing you can cross out. I was a technophobe also. Still working in other things, tough...

Best regards,

void Indigo
voidIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't have to put books into any specific directories, the Reader scans everything on the card. You can create your own directory structure if you need to keep track of things (but all books will be displayed in one list on the Reader).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sd card