Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #31
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do. It was added recently.
People in other threads are reporting trouble emailing azw3 to Kindle....the recommendation is to change the file extension to mobi.... anyone know what gives? Do they or don't they?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"AZW3" is an extension invented by Calibre, as far as I can tell. It would be more sensible to rename a KF8 file to either ".mobi" or ".azw" to match what Amazon use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #33
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Because, IMHO, the Kindle has the best support, the most stable software, the best cases, and the best screen of all readers at this point in time.
Yes, I second that. Even though I got mine not by myself but as a present, I still admit that the hardware seems still to be the best on the market (judging by a completely unrepresentative survey done with other e-ink readers available in the shops around here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
IMHO, of course, again. It doesn't have the most features, true, but apart from Custom Fonts there's not too much I'm missing except when I'd really get down to the nitty gritty geeky details.
You mean such geeky stuff like hyphenation?

Last edited by bhaak; 03-28-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Since we are talking about a epub to azw3 conversion, I have a question regarding the opposite conversion:

Is there a way I can find out whether a book offered on Amazon is AZW3 or mobi? I would like to extract the epubish-content of the book (it it's AZW3) and zip it to epub without converting with calibre
Once you do have the AZW3 file in Calibre, use the kindleunpack plugin to shift the contents of the AZW3 into an ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
"AZW3" is an extension invented by Calibre, as far as I can tell. It would be more sensible to rename a KF8 file to either ".mobi" or ".azw" to match what Amazon use.
Amazon would have been better using .KF8 for a KF8 format file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon would have been better using .KF8 for a KF8 format file.
I agree, but we have to deal with the world the way we find it, rather than the way we'd like it to be .
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool AZW3

Quote:
I've just gotten two azw3 books from amazon?! One a freebie and one from the Prime lending library.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've just gotten two azw3 books from amazon?! One a freebie and one from the Prime lending library.
They had an "AWZ3" extension on your Kindle or reading app before you transferred them into Calibre?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #39
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My Kindle Keyboard regularly receives AZW3 extensions via Whispernet
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
My Kindle Keyboard regularly receives AZW3 extensions via Whispernet
Interesting - thanks. I always download books via "Kindle for PC", and KF8 books always have an ".azw" file extension on that.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool AWZ3

Quote:
They had an "AWZ3" extension on your Kindle or reading app before you transferred them into Calibre?
Yep, they were sent directly to my PaperWhite from Amazon.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - I'm obviously wrong about it not being an extension used by Amazon.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I too buy lots of books from BooksOnBoard, because their prices are often better than Amazon's.
Don't forget Feedbooks, Diesel, Kobo, and Waterstones, Whsmith and Foyles, if you're in the UK and have a UK credit card (I don't, and hate it, because they often have good prices).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
You mean such geeky stuff like hyphenation?
I've never missed this for some reason.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Nope. azw3 is the extension amazon uses for all pure kf8 files it sends to kindle devices. Why would you think I'd go around inventing my own file extensions, there's enough confusion around amazon's ebook formats already.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #45
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Interesting - thanks. I always download books via "Kindle for PC", and KF8 books always have an ".azw" file extension on that.
Harry, if you try downloading your books from Amazon directly to PC instead of using Kindle for PC, then you would see that Amazon directly delivers .AZW3. They will ask you which Kindle are you going to read the book on before download, and if you choose PW or Kindle KB, they'll give you .AZW3 if they have it in that format.
I personally think that .AZW3 is far superior compared to .AZW.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, file formats, kindle paperwhite