Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You have a MALE printer? I thought all printers were FEMALE. ????
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #32
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
My two cents...

I was the IT Manager where I worked for many years. Not only did I work on the company's laptops, but the personal laptops of everyone in the building. I've had the least problems with Dell and Toshiba. I can honestly say I've never worked on a Samsung. The worst was HP--never seen so many dead motherboards.

Whatever you buy, remember these things:
Heat is the #1 killer.

Most of them are vented through holes in the bottom. Don't set the laptop down on the carpet or the bed where the vent holes will be plugged.

Don't close the lid and put it in "sleep mode" and then put it in an enclosed bag. In sleep mode, the fan is still running. Use hibernate mode instead.

Don't toss the laptop or set it down hard (this should be obvious). This goes for portable hard drives as well. The disks inside are spinning around very fast and the arms with the read/write heads are floating above the disks less than the thickness of a hair. When you drop the laptop, you are slamming those arms down into the disks and it's destroying the layout of magnetic particles that makeup your data.

The AMD processors run much hotter than the Intels, so be especially careful if you go AMD.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I think many times, it really comes down to luck, and maybe buyer's expectations. A lot of people here have had good experiences with Dell, but not I and my family. All of our Dell laptops before died JUST RIGHT AFTER the warranty period. It's quite frustrating. So I decided to go for a netbook due to the weight and price, and Asus is the best in netbooks. Lo and behold, this little baby is more durable than the previous laptops I've had. I just take care to always shut it down when I transport it. It's great so far.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
These are personal machines.
When I left DOS and went to Windows I started with Gateway. That baby had a 1.3GB hard drive and I think Windows 95. Good machine.

I then went to Dell, maybe 97 or a year later. That desktop still works. Only replaced the keyboard under warranty. I have only added things. USB2, Ethernet, memory, and a string of larger hard drives. and the like. I kind of wish it would fail. 450mhz single core Pentiums don't do much these days. A giant CRT monitor that takes too much room, but it is an old friend.
About 2000, got Dell laptop That should was always slow from the getgo. It stopped and I might have fixed it but heck I don't like it. It must weigh 8 pounds.

I have had some no name net books that I carry around in a duffel, and they get beat up like that dogtesting one we heard about.

For a replacement I am looking into the new Chromebook C7, by Acer. $199. 320GB HD, 2GB ram, 11.6" screen.

First though I got to see if Chrome OS is sufficient.
I already use gmail, and I sometimes use the Chrome browser, so now I am trying out a Chrome filemanager, ftp program, and Google docs. I can do all that on my current machines.

The real problem I have seen (on paper) is the C7 battery life of 3.5 hours. Someone said that a Acer spokesman said they would probably provide a better battery and charge a little more.
I won't buy it without at least 6 hour battery. It would be in mail except for that.
One thing I like is that the battery is removable.

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You have a MALE printer? I thought all printers were FEMALE. ????
My MFC is named 'Moose' after a Big MALE Maine coon cat (RIP) we had.
My color Laser is name 'Ellie' after the (many colored ) Female cat in my Avatar.

Printers come in many sexes .
Only Big Industrial complexes, neuter their printers with names like 'MVSCA4-G42X73'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
For a replacement I am looking into the new Chromebook C7, by Acer. $199. 320GB HD, 2GB ram, 11.6" screen.

First though I got to see if Chrome OS is sufficient.
I already use gmail, and I sometimes use the Chrome browser, so now I am trying out a Chrome filemanager, ftp program, and Google docs. I can do all that on my current machines.

The real problem I have seen (on paper) is the C7 battery life of 3.5 hours. Someone said that a Acer spokesman said they would probably provide a better battery and charge a little more.
I won't buy it without at least 6 hour battery. It would be in mail except for that.
One thing I like is that the battery is removable.
I have the Samsung Chromebook. It doesn't have the hard drive, instead it has 16 GB SSD. But it has a 6.5 hour battery life that I like. It is $50 more, but I like the extra battery life.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Of course printers are male. Slow to get started, cranky in cold damp weather, cheap to buy and costly in consumables........
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Of course printers are male. Slow to get started, cranky in cold damp weather, cheap to buy and costly in consumables........
But with a little patience and TLC we will really stand out
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #39
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
We have a female printer at work--it takes a long time to warm up!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
We recently purchased a new HP colour laser. Wireless and ethernet connectivity, plus airprint compatible so our iPad's and iPhones can print. A very good printer.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
But with a little patience and TLC we will really stand out
...I ain't going there.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
We recently purchased a new HP colour laser. Wireless and ethernet connectivity, plus airprint compatible so our iPad's and iPhones can print. A very good printer.
Boy or girl?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #43
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Most brands have a consumer line and a professional line. Quality varies accordingly. HP earned a horrifying rep in their consumer laptops yet their EliteBooks come highly recommended (we use two at work). Lenovo's ThinkPads have generally also been excellent, if boring-looking. Oddly enough, we've had excellent history with Dell laptops and that's our corporate exclusive right now, maybe 200 laptops in total.

For what you want I'd try to get hands-on with your choices. The keyboard matters more to me in a work (but non-CAD, non-photo editing) laptop than almost anything else. Okay, battery life is fairly crucial too. If you're going to primarily use it at home you can set most laptops up with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I do that at home. There simply are no laptop keyboards and trackpads as nice as that.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #44
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Boy or girl?
Hmmm, risky... The way it preens itself from time to time...

A girl.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #45
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have the Samsung Chromebook. It doesn't have the hard drive, instead it has 16 GB SSD. But it has a 6.5 hour battery life that I like. It is $50 more, but I like the extra battery life.
But. but, but, ..., but only 16GB? I have 32GB on my Droid 1 and it is removable.

What do you have loaded on the chromebook?

Just remember, I am trying to simulate a chromebook on my Windows desktop to get an idea if I want one. I don't yet have a real vision of what I am getting into.

And yeah, I know they give you 5GB free in the cloud, but together that is only 21GB.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote