View Poll Results: Do you pirate books?
Yes 103 26.34%
No 177 45.27%
Once in awhile 111 28.39%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #61
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
If ereaders were free and all books were free, very few people would continue to write books, they would be forced to get a job that pays MONEY and really that would take up a lot of their time. And what company that has half a brain would give away ereaders?

If this business model worked paperback books would be free.
99% of writers do have a job. Almost none of them only write. Writing as an occupation is a privilege of the modern era...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #62
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Here's an anonymous one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167361
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #63
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
By the way most people who voted voiced their opinions in a post too.

The reason I just said "Just a simple poll" is because I made the poll on my phone, I just wanted to start a thread and then give my opinion once I could go onto a keyboard.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-31-2012 at 12:44 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #64
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your poll is quite anonymous. By the way most people who voted voiced their opinions in a post too.

The reason I just said "Just a simple poll" is because I made the poll on my phone, I just wanted to start a thread and then give my opinion once I could go onto a keyboard.
I've made a lot of polls on Mobile Read. It takes un-checking a default option to revoke anonymity. And I've posted from mobile phones; each checkbox causes a lengthy page reload. So it's not something you whoooooops did by accident, imho.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #65
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

There's also nothing preventing you from editing the OP now to clarify that anonymity is not available with this poll.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #66
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Given that I have posted my attitudes about the few books I have on my Kindle that shouldn't be there in a few different places, I am not worried about posting it again. If JKR's people come here and read this and track me down and sue me, I will deal with that. Then again, I will probably see posts on the internet that her lawyers are doing that and it is easy enough to remove the books.

Better yet, she should publish the silly e-books and take some money off my hands.

When I entered a poll result, I saw the disclaimer that poll results would be public.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #67
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I've made a lot of polls on Mobile Read. It takes un-checking a default option to revoke anonymity. And I've posted from mobile phones; each checkbox causes a lengthy page reload. So it's not something you whoooooops did by accident, imho.
I wasn't implying it was an accident.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #68
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
I wasn't implying it was an accident, I did that on purpose.
Several people have asked you why and you have afaik not answered. I will ask you again: why did you post a poll that could have conceivable legal repercussions and/or revocation of Mobile Read posting privileges (given that MR has a strong anti-piracy stance), deliberately make the poll not-anonymous, and then choose to not give clear warning beyond what the forum software provides?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #69
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
I wasn't implying it was an accident, I did that on purpose.
Do you not think you should afford potential participants the simple courtesy of making it clear in the original post that the poll is not anonymous? Unless of course it's actually meant to trap the unwary?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #70
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbroome View Post
I can't wait to see your Star Trek world and its 45% unemployment rate in action.
I can't wait either...

Of course the future is created from the present. We have to want something before it will exist. Star trek only lightly touched on the economics of their world (at least in the television series) The books might be another matter, but I think the unemployment rate in the federation didn't really matter since they had food replicators. You could either lay around and philosophize all day or learn how to operate a starship.

The funny thing is that the food replicator is just a high tech farm inside of a box when you really think about it. Roboticized farming might be good enough in the short term. But of course someone has to build the robots, or at least build the robots that will build the robots.

We do have the technology and the systems to feed people more than they are being fed currently, and house them better, but for one reason or another the shit just ain't working like it could, inefficiencies in the marketplace? Or something else?

How does this relate to pirating ebooks?

We simply imagine the farming robot as a text, in other words the robot is the software code that someone has written. Should this someone be given license fees in perpetuity for their design? Would letting this robot only function in locales that could afford the licensing fees be fair? Or should we simply give the robot's designers a certain number of years to collect fees from the robot's use?

Certainly the designer should be remunerated? But how? Withholding the robot from those who could not afford the licensing fees seems cruel and unusual doesn't it?

Last edited by Giggleton; 01-30-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I don't pirate books but I do strip DRM. To me this is not the same thing, because I have bought the book, I'm just changing the format to suit my needs.

Last edited by voracious71; 01-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #72
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
SWIM answered "no" on principal.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #73
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
There's also nothing preventing you from editing the OP now to clarify that anonymity is not available with this poll.
I already have.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #74
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I don't pirate books but I do strip DRM. To me this is not the same thing, because I have bought the book, I'm just changing the format to suit my needs.
I do that too, so that I can use Dropbox to sync books that I didn't get from Kobo over WiFi (Legal, not pirated), I think it might count as copyright infringements but not piracy.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #75
The Terminator
Retired

For those who think they weren't warned, the poll does very clearly say right above it that the poll is public.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.