Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Lots of travel--which reader is best? Battery life, etc.

Hello,

I've browsed through this forum a lot--and think I'm mostly there, but just had a couple of quick questions about which reader to buy.

First off--I'm looking in the $300 to $400 range--the iliad is droolworthy but definitely out of my price range.

I'm doing a lot of travel over the next year or so--basically to places with very limited power and internet (I'll be living out of a suitcase and don't think 20 or 30 books would be the best use of space).

That being said, which reader is the best for:

1) battery life?
2) ease of adding books (ie grab and go, no messy file conversions, etc.)

Thank you! I'm thinking about the cybook or the sony (I know there's a wait on the cybook--any idea how long?), but would be open to lots of other suggestions!

Thanks!
Connie
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Where are you located? I was in the exact same situation as you. I wanted an e-book primarily for reading while traveling. The Kindle's internet feature would be of limited utility, and being in the US, the Cybook simply wasn't easily obtainable.

That left me with the Sony Reader. I'm not claiming it is the best, it was just the only one I get actually GET.

I like it immensely, but am less than pleased with the Sony online bookstore.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sony Reader
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Cybook answers great to both of your questions.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Duodora
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Where are you located? I was in the exact same situation as you. I wanted an e-book primarily for reading while traveling. The Kindle's internet feature would be of limited utility, and being in the US, the Cybook simply wasn't easily obtainable.

That left me with the Sony Reader. I'm not claiming it is the best, it was just the only one I get actually GET.

I like it immensely, but am less than pleased with the Sony online bookstore.
Thanks for the reply! I am in the US (but will be traveling outside it)--I don't mind ordering the cybook online--but I know it's backordered. Any idea how far behind they are? I don't mind waiting for it, as long is it comes before September.

Ervserver and DDHarriman--could you elaborate a little? Thanks
Advert
Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, but I don't keep track of the Cybook order status. Once I made my pick from the current crop, I lost any interest in second-guessing my choice. I'm saving all my buyer's remorse for not waiting for one of the next generation machines.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
Thanks for the reply! I am in the US (but will be traveling outside it)--I don't mind ordering the cybook online--but I know it's backordered. Any idea how far behind they are? I don't mind waiting for it, as long is it comes before September.

Ervserver and DDHarriman--could you elaborate a little? Thanks
Cybook runs out every month and every month they get a new shipment. You should be fine if that is the one you want. Kindle is a good one for US residence as well. Everyone will tell you the best is the one they own.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Duodora
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Everyone will tell you the best is the one they own.

Dale
Haha I'm noticing that I just wasn't sure if there was a marked difference regarding those two factors, or if it's all personal opinion. Admittedly the sony is definitely sexier, but I'm a little not happy with being more or less locked into their store.

That's good info about the cybook though! A few weeks is definitely no big deal.

What about book avalability though? With the sony, how locked into their store are you (assuming you don't want to do a lot of file converting). Would the cybook have a wider range of books?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
While you can't load books via wireless if you're outside the US that reduces it to being as easy as the other readers for loading content. You plug it in via USB and it acts like a removable disk, just like the others do all the time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Haha I'm noticing that I just wasn't sure if there was a marked difference regarding those two factors, or if it's all personal opinion. Admittedly the sony is definitely sexier, but I'm a little not happy with being more or less locked into their store.

That's good info about the cybook though! A few weeks is definitely no big deal.

What about book avalability though? With the sony, how locked into their store are you (assuming you don't want to do a lot of file converting). Would the cybook have a wider range of books?

Thanks!
There are some very successful conversion routines available for the Sony that make excellent books. libprs500 can be set up to just do canned conversions. All the ones posted at this site were converted from something else but if you just want to buy books you will find mobipocket and Kindle has an edge. Kindle is definitely the lead on current releases but not so much in older ones but places like Fictionwise offers good choices in multiple formats.

You should decide the format and availability based on what you like to read. Our wiki has listings for many eBook stores and free eBooks. If you like library checkout then our wiki has those too and you will likely want a Cybook for that or the more expensive iLiad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Duodora
Enthusiast

In response to Alisa: I understand--right now I'm leaning against the Kindle tho--from all accounts that I've read (although if you have other thoughts please let me know!) the battery life is a lot shorter than the others. Getting access to a power outlet is going to be sort of hit or miss, so right now battery life is really important to me.

Dale--thanks for the help! Just a quick question--how difficult is it to convert the format with the Sony? Is it pretty easy to set up? (I'm probably "average" at computer stuff...)

Last edited by Duodora; 05-01-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
In response to Alisa: I understand--right now I'm leaning against the Kindle tho--from all accounts that I've read (although if you have other thoughts please let me know!) the battery life is a lot shorter than the others. Getting access to a power outlet is going to be sort of hit or miss, so right now battery life is really important to me.
With the antenna/radio/cell turned off, my Kindle battery is lasting 4-6 days. I can't tell you how many hours I read ... or even, how many page turns I make. I normally keep the Kindle on font size 2, so there's a lot of text on each screen before I need to hit the "next page" button.

As I've mentioned before, I know I could have been happy with the Sony, though the prices for recent releases are *so* much higher that I figure after I've bought 15-20 books, I will have recovered the $100 difference between the Sony and the Kindle. The only real downside to the Kindle is that you *cannot* buy books with DRM protection from anyone except Amazon.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
While you can't load books via wireless if you're outside the US that reduces it to being as easy as the other readers for loading content. You plug it in via USB and it acts like a removable disk, just like the others do all the time.
I know, but I didn't want to pay the extra money and suffer the extra delay to get a device that had a feature I wouldn't use much.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #14
Snafu
Snafu began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
My cybooks lasts for week, I read about 1-2 hrs a day. I tried the sony reader and it's a lot heavier than the cybook. Personally I find the cybook easier to hold. I haven't used the kindle but I can't stand the keyboard, I don't want to type on an e-reader I just want to read.
Snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
First off--I'm looking in the $300 to $400 range--the iliad is droolworthy but definitely out of my price range.
Connie,

Look in the Flea Market section. Someone, can't rember who is selling there V2 iLiad, farily new if I remember correctly for $450 OBO. So, that puts it pretty close to your range.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote