Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #16
luite
Connoisseur
luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dr1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
Indexing a large book collection may take a while (a few seconds per book) but once added to the device, it should not extend the boot time considerably.

Do you see the "Indexing..." splash screen during these 45 seconds?
Do others experience an extra long boot time too?
Yes, the 'Indexing...' screen is displayed for about 45 seconds before the main menu appears. I have around 7000 files on my card (many of those are html and image files that I used to read in midori, but that are now natively supported).
luite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #17
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
mine takes 47.5 seconds to boot, including a very short (<1 s) "indexing files" message
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #18
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by luite View Post
I have around 7000 files on my card (many of those are html and image files that I used to read in midori, but that are now natively supported).
A more effective way to work with offline web pages is to use the MHT (MHTML) file format which archives pages and all its resources in a single file. MHT is supported by both Midori and the browser on DR1000.

You could also move the files to a hidden directory (starting with .) so they are ignored by the indexer, but then they won't show up in the device while browsing.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #19
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
In Midori browser from 1.7x fw one could bookmark a page. Is it possible to do that with DR1000S native browser?

Will there be support for StarDict dictionaries?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
OK, i will give it a try. Let's go and start the update...

Done.

After the reboot:

Quote:
Thumbnails for one or more documents could not be generated; thumbnail generation has been aborted.
Is there a logfile, where the errors are documented and why they happened?

Last edited by ThR; 04-02-2010 at 07:18 AM.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #21
owl123
Addict

Is it me or the image-only PDFs take longer to load now?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #22
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
@ owl123 my image-only pdfs load as usual, but once thay are loaded there's no comparison, changing pages is waaaay faster

@ iRex developers: Will there be support for any type of dictionaries?

Last edited by myprecious; 04-02-2010 at 07:36 AM.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #23
owl123
Addict

I actually meant page turning. It's so much slower now with image-based PDFs. It's as if there was no "next page preloading" thing functioning.

I checked it with 3 different PDFs that worked fine with fw 1.7x
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
Is there a logfile, where the errors are documented and why they happened?
No, but you may guess based on the files that were thumbnailed. The 'next' may cause the issue. When you've identified a file which causes the indexer to quit, you are invited to share it if you can (per PM or as attachment) so we can check it out.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

@Gertjan
Ok, I will looking for some files, which will cause this problem. This will not be easy because of the directory-structure I'm using.

Some minor problem I found (maybe only in the german version): in the menu "show as list" (Als Liste anzeigen) will show the detail-view and "show details" (Als Details zeigen) will show the list-view.

The german translation is not complete and in some parts a little bit "scary". Like a beta is sometimes... ;-)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #26
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
Some minor problem I found (maybe only in the german version): in the menu "show as list" (Als Liste anzeigen) will show the detail-view and "show details" (Als Details zeigen) will show the list-view.)
This being a beta release, icons, texts and translations are not final. The (preliminary) icons are not every helpful as they suggest the two are swapped but the views work as intended. I guess it is a matter of definition what to expect for 'list' and 'details'.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #27
ThR
Tatütatuter

@Gertjan
I think I have identified the document, which has a problem with thumbnailing. The document is so buggy, that it won't open (epub, error code 1, I have to reboot the device for opening any other epub-document). But sorry, I can't give it to you. It's a book I bought and stripped DRM away for reading it in FBReader. So - I think, I have to try the version with DRM. I can do this since today with the DR1000. ;-)

Every other document I opened will build its thumbnail with no problem.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #28
ThR
Tatütatuter

Quote:
This being a beta release, icons, texts and translations are not final. The (preliminary) icons are not every helpful as they suggest the two are swapped but the views work as intended. I guess it is a matter of definition what to expect for 'list' and 'details'.
No problem with that. It's beta. :-)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer

PDF is now handled by the Adobe RMSDK which is generally much quicker than the Poppler based engine, but results may vary between documents. DR1000 will still pre-render some pages to enhance page flipping speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
Will there be support for any type of dictionaries?
No. As announced earlier, Dictionary Support has been removed because this relies on the Mobipocket format.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #30
owl123
Addict

Quote:
. DR1000 will still pre-render some pages to enhance page flipping speed.
It doesn't seem to be the case. It doesn't matter how long I stay on a previous page, the next page is always slow to load.

Quote:
No. As announced earlier, Dictionary Support has been removed because this relies on the Mobipocket format.
How about StarDict dictionaries?