Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Canezila
Canezila began at the beginning.

Device: Edge dual book black, Sony reader, Kindle DX, Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7"
XP64: eDGe driver not found

Hello to all the eDGe people!

I have been recovering from a eink hibernation screen problem. Had to start over again from the beginning. The BIGGEST paid was coping update files to the usb or sdcard. I am talking long periods of time. Crazy in a day where usb 3.0 is blazing along.

I am working on getting XP64 to properly sync to Adobe Digital books. But it doesnt sync because of an error installing the drivers. It doesnt see the eDGe like it should and continue. I believe it is an issue that, sadly, will not have a happy ending. I believe I will have to find someone with a different windoz computer and sync that way.

Any ideas other than what I stated? BTW I use Linux. I am running XP64 through VirtualBox.
Canezila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
A few things to try and sort out to help us understand your problem.

First, which Edge do you have, the large 10" or the small one?

Next, what are you actually trying to do and with what? Is this XP64 that you mention windows XP 64 bit version? If so why are you trying to use that as opposed to the standard 32 bit version? VirtualBox will run the standard version on a 64 bit processor machine without problems.

How are you trying to connect your Edge to the virtual machine? If it is by USB then you don't need any drivers, it should just appear as a MSD to the operating system.

You talk about copying update files to USB or SD card. What update files were these, how did you try to copy them and where from? If these were the Android update files then all you needed to do was download then to your linux computer and then copy them to the root directory of the USB stick as update.zip.

As a point of interest I use the IBM OS/2 operating system on all my computers and have no problems communicating with my full size Edge (EE). Normal communication is by our wireless network but standard USB sticks and SD cards written to by OS/2 are accepted by the EE without problems - the only requirement is for the USB stick or SD card is that it be formatted as FAT32.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Canezila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
A few things to try and sort out to help us understand your problem.

First, which Edge do you have, the large 10" or the small one?
>> Original 10" in black

Next, what are you actually trying to do and with what?
>> I want to get my adobe DRM content back onto my eDGe. So I am wanting to install the Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 I think it is called. Then I can autherize my computer and then the eDGe. Then I can have my books I bought through google play on the eink side.

Is this XP64 that you mention windows XP 64 bit version?
>> Yes, it is. Windows XP64. I use this because before I switched to Linux in 2005, I had bought two XP64 licenses to use on my home computer and my personal computer I use for work as an elementary music teacher. Have to have extras like my 1010lt audio card and they dont like when I break open their computers! So I have to fork out my money to get the job done.

If so why are you trying to use that as opposed to the standard 32 bit version?
>> I also bought XP Professional but there is a small but critical scratch on it. It doesnt install correctly. So its no longer an option. 32 bit would be simpler in most cases. I just am not willing to buy more microsoft. I called their tech support and I learned I was S### out of luck.

VirtualBox will run the standard version on a 64 bit processor machine without problems.
>> Yes. I am pretty sure that last time I did this, I had a XP 32bit VBox running. But I do not have that anymore, unfortunately.

How are you trying to connect your Edge to the virtual machine?
>> USB cable.
If it is by USB then you don't need any drivers, it should just appear as a MSD to the operating system.
>> This is where I get the device eDGe and then it asks for a driver. In my device manager it appears as unknown device with a '?'. I believe it then subgroups to eDGe and has '!' in yellow. if my memory is correct. Uninstalling the driver clears the ? and ! but scanning for hardware changes brings back the same situation. This leads me to think that XP64 is just finicky and some things just probably wont work.... ie find a different computer running XP 32 bit.

You talk about copying update files to USB or SD card. What update files were these, how did you try to copy them and where from?
>> I downloaded the Allmine v5. The gapps that are needed to match the Ammine. Then after trying this update, I realized my hibernating eink screen was still stuck at the inilitizating screen and I needed to go back to Dingo and start again. So I downloaded the update that resets/reverts to Dingo. Next was the update to Emerie and then the Allmine. I believe that is the order I used. All that worked but I had to use SDcard then SDcard then USB stick. Whatever the info suggested is correct.... and btw, the info pages here are amazing. Really. The people that makeup the eDGe base are very very amazing.

If these were the Android update files then all you needed to do was download then to your linux computer and then copy them to the root directory of the USB stick as update.zip.
>> Yes, that is what I did. The transfer was a killer in time. Probably just me and some bottleneck if my statement is surprising. Its just what I experienced.

As a point of interest I use the IBM OS/2 operating system on all my computers and have no problems communicating with my full size Edge (EE). Normal communication is by our wireless network but standard USB sticks and SD cards written to by OS/2 are accepted by the EE without problems - the only requirement is for the USB stick or SD card is that it be formatted as FAT32.
** As technology is getting smaller and more mobile, imagine replacing the hardware with AMD-G or AMD-R SOC. Tiny and 6w-24w. Just imagine the eDGe designers going to town and building with current technology. I wish they had another shot at this.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Canezila

UPDATE.

Used a different usb cable. Works now. The cable was cheap. All is great now!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I had a similar problem over the weekend. I hooked up my eDGe to transfer some books via Calibre and my Win8 laptop wouldn't recognize it -- and, of course, neither would Calibre.

My first stop was to check in here and I did try a different USB cable to no avail. A check of Control Panel told me it was a bad driver, but there was no option to refresh or anything.

Anyway -- I ended up trying once more to connect with my original eDGe data cable and finally got it to work. Whew. I've used and enjoyed this little gadget on a daily basis for more than 3 years. I'll be very sad when it finally bites the dust.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
So say we all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote