Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Cool Improved ContentLister (with more items on a page)

Hi All,

UPDATED: SEE THE NEW THREAD!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35374

====== DEPRECATED =====
I have modified contenLister to show more items on a page. I called it newLister so it can coexist with the existing one. It can display anything between 4 and 20 items on a page. I also increased the number of remembered 'recent documents' to 12...

This is a 'developer' version: no installer yet. To run it you have to do the following steps (using ssh):
  1. copy newLister somewhere in the flash disk. It cannot be on CF or SD since those devices are not mounted yet when contentLister is started. Personally I use the directory /home/root/my_start/ for this kind of stuff...
  2. copy newLister.rc and newcursor.png to /usr/share/contentLister
  3. edit /home/root/start.sh to start newLister instead of contenLister:
    Code:
    old: (/usr/bin/contentLister --sync ; reboot) &
    new: (/home/root/my_start/newLister --items 12 --sync ; reboot) &
  4. edit: check that newLister and start.sh are executable (chmod +x)
  5. reboot

Of course this is at your own risk I've used my improved Iliad without problems for a few days now. I think this is a stable version, but mistakes when editing start.sh can be 'fatal'. Let's be careful out there

Happy new 2009 preview,

Hansel.

Please give some feedback if you try this

PS:
  1. you can set the number of items with "--items n". The amount of displayed information for each item depends on n: same as with the current contentLister (4-8), title + subtitle or description (9-12), only title (13-20)
  2. A safer way to experiment with the start script is described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33700
  3. The attached file contains a file sources.tgz: after unpacking this can be compiled in the same way as the original Irex contentLister (build_from_scratch.sh...)
  4. Comments and questions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.gif
Views:	1479
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	19928   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.gif
Views:	1490
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	19929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20.gif
Views:	1934
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	19930  
Attached Files
File Type: gz newLister-1.0.tar.gz (780.4 KB, 917 views)

Last edited by hansel; 01-02-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: new release
Old 12-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
That's really great. Well done.

Added:
newLister does work. Do remember to set proper file permission with "chmod". I forgot to set it with execution permission and this mistake prevented newLister from executing. I realized my fault after several reboots. Fortunately, I don't have to reflash.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-27-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

What is the purpose of "reboot" after "/home/root/my_start/newLister --items 12 --sync ; " in step 3? I don't understand.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
What is the purpose of "reboot" after "/home/root/my_start/newLister --items 12 --sync ; " in step 3? I don't understand.
When newLister (or contentLister) stops for whatever reason (e.g. crashes), the Iliad restarts from scratch. I guess it's just a fallback thing for unexpected problems...

PS: thanks for testing!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
ericshliao
Guru

It's really nice to show more items on screen. Currently, I am satisfied with 10 items per page. BTW, it's strange that there is a thin horizontal black line in "newcursor.png".

Added:
Here is a "newcursor.png" image file. I removed that horizontal line in hansel's original package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newcursor.png
Views:	689
Size:	923 Bytes
ID:	19981  

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-27-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This looks great, but any idea when we can get a version with an installer?
Old 12-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Is this really frontpage stuff?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Is this really frontpage stuff?
Too trivial to be listed on the frontpage? No. This feature has been wanted for two years for most iLiad users.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Too trivial to be listed on the frontpage? No. This feature has been wanted for two years for most iLiad users.
I agree, which is why I posted it.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Hansel... I don't know what to say!

... Would you like to be my girlfriend?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #11
hansel
JSR FFD2

Hi,

@Mr. Goodbar: I can make an installer for this, but one must be very careful to make it very very fail-safe. And I think there must be a robust way to revert to the original contenLister... I'll think about it some more... Without special measures an error in contentLister or the start.sh script will make the Iliad unbootable and require a reflash. See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ilia...Implementation.

@ericshliao: I thought the small line was an artifact of the partial screen update stuff. It happened to be caused by my sloppy editing with Gimp... Thanks for pointing this out. I'll

@Napoleon: you must mistake me for Gretel (see http://creaturebox.com/wp-content/up...sel_gretel.jpg), but I'm glad to make you so happy

@Nate the great: Thanks for frontpaging me

Hansel.

Last edited by hansel; 12-28-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #12
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
This is awesome, hansel. If I could, I'd give you karma twice!

I did notice one small thing: the cursor does not appear when a contents page is initially shown; I have to arrow up or arrow down for it to refresh and appear. (I'm using ericshliao's newcursor.png, but it doesn't look like this should make a difference.)
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
I did notice one small thing: the cursor does not appear when a contents page is initially shown; I have to arrow up or arrow down for it to refresh and appear. (I'm using ericshliao's newcursor.png, but it doesn't look like this should make a difference.)
It should work... I think it may be caused by the new cursor (maybe corrupted by copying it?) Can you try the original one?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #14
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Strange. I am using my modified "newcursor.png" without problem as you described. The cursor shows normally as desired.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Strange. I am using my modified "newcursor.png" without problem as you described. The cursor shows normally as desired.
Originally I copied newLister.rc and newcursor.png to /usr/share/contentlisternLister as specified above. Copying to /usr/share/contentlister instead works like a charm.

Last edited by AlexC; 12-28-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
contentlister iliad