Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
krapnik
krapnik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Blue screen of death upon connection of Reader to Win XP computer

When I connect my new Sony PRS-505 to USB of mine Win XP computer, it starts to recognize a Mass storage, then he knows that it is Sony PRS-505, but after then, I got a Blue Screen of Death and my computer restarts.

When I left the Reader in USB - computer restarts
When I try to connect Reader to newly restarted computer - computer restarts again.

What shall I do?
krapnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
do you have trouble with other usb mass storage devices ? does it recognize other usb devices ? have you installed windows service pack 2 ?

i had a similar problem the first time i plugged in my exterior hard drive. you can try a hard reboot : turn off computer. unplug computer from wall. press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. reboot computer as usual. also i think sp2 is necessary for usb 2.0 and you can have trouble with larger usb drives if you don't have it, although i could be remembering wrong.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by krapnik View Post
I got a Blue Screen of Death and my computer restarts.

Get a Mac....

Sorry... couldn't resist. Go back to your topic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Try unplugging other USB devices, reboot, and plug things back in one-by-one.

I've had this issue before and it turned out to be a bum driver for some off-the-wall WiFi card I had. In my case, the WiFi card worked -- but nothing else would when I'd plug it in via USB. Including a keyboard -- blue screen.
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
krapnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Get a Mac....

Sorry... couldn't resist. Go back to your topic.

BOb
Why to buy such expensive crap, while I use Linux instead? But not on Tablet PC as on my laptop.

Sorry ... couldn't resist either.
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
krapnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
do you have trouble with other usb mass storage devices ?
No.
Quote:
does it recognize other usb devices ?
Yes
Quote:
have you installed windows service pack 2 ?
No, I have Win XP SP3 Tablet ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanlexian
unconnect all USB devices
I will try, I have had connected only optical mouse.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
Quote:
I will try, I have had connected only optical mouse.
Again, made sure you have proper drivers for the mouse. I had an issue with the default Windows driver causing problems for a Logitech MX610. I *HAD* to use the Logitech drivers -- else my PDA stopped synching (yeah, go figure...)
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Why to buy such expensive crap, while I use Linux instead? But not on Tablet PC as on my laptop.

Sorry ... couldn't resist either.

My Mac is a 'bit' expensive... fair enough. But it certainly isn't crap. Also, there is an advantage to having a unified platform... I pretty much know a Mac package will work on my Mac (if it meets the OS level requirements) rather than fighting with some Linux flavor of the day distribution and worrying about getting the correct dependencies and doing compiles etc.

I had to jump through all those hoops with my Mac to get mobiperl to run. Believe me I would have preferred a Universal Binary. I don't want to go through that for the most part.

BTW: I have nothing against Linux. My web server runs Debian and it is very stable and fast. I may yet switch my Dell laptop to Ubuntu but I haven't been able to get quicken installed on my Fusion VM yet.

So, I will restate my dig:

Get a real *nix base OS!!!

BOb

BTW: Of course you could run a Hackintosh on out of the box hardware and the "expensive" hardware isn't an issue.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote