Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #31
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I have an 8GB USB drive, and my ext3 partition is 2048MB.

The card doesn't detect even after you copy over the install_sh script file and reboot?
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #32
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
"The card doesn't detect even after you copy over the install_sh script file and reboot? "

That was my question as well. I had a few very frustrating days trying to figure out how to get my PE to recognize the partitioned SD card, but I found if I modified all three files (including the install_sh file) before inserting SD card with it's 2 primary partitions (FAT32 and Ext 3), it worked fine. Using this method, I did have to go back and re-replace the install_sh file after setting up Link2SD, and reboot an extra time, but it worked!
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #33
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Oh yeah, one more thing. . .

I've noticed my PE doesn't want to hibernate properly anymore (even when I tell it to -- goes into the old Dingo "sleep" mode instead). Any reason these modifications might have caused that? The only other possiblitiy I can think of is some app I installed is preventing hibernation. Anyone else notice this after setting up Link2SD?
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #34
DarthClem
DarthClem began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've read through this thread twice, and have what I hope is not too stupid a question. I find that some of the apps I DL from the Amazon app store fail to install. Is it because of this SD Card issue, and will following the instructions in this thread fix that problem?

Thanks!
DarthClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #35
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthClem View Post
I've read through this thread twice, and have what I hope is not too stupid a question. I find that some of the apps I DL from the Amazon app store fail to install. Is it because of this SD Card issue, and will following the instructions in this thread fix that problem?

Thanks!
It can be either due to the SD card issue, or the fact that some apps just wont run on the PE, whether due to use of the NDK(and therefore compiled for a different Architecture), or because they have DRM restrictions preventing an install on 3rd party devices, or one of many other reasons(flash, etc.)
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #36
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

attemptress -

I don't seem to have any problems with hibernation. In fact, it's hibernating right now. Maybe there is some kind of application running in the background?

DarthClem -

Many applications try to automatically install to the sdcard, which generates an error message because Apps2SD doesn't work. This process doesn't actually fix that problem. However, it allows for a pretty easy workaround - all you need to do is unplug your sdcard and install the application, and it should direct it to your internal memory. If you're not interested in playing around with any of your system files, you might be able to install it by using the methods listed in this post. Also, keep in mind, you need to root your device in order to manually mount/unmount drives from the terminal window.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
I have an 8GB USB drive, and my ext3 partition is 2048MB.

The card doesn't detect even after you copy over the install_sh script file and reboot?
I finally got it to work. I deleted all copies of the new files and re-downloaded all three files. I deleted the original vold*fstab files and the istall_recovery. Placed all three files in /system/etc per the instructions. Powered the PE down. Went to UBUNTU and used diskparted to delete old partitions from the SD card. Placed a new fat32 and ext3 partition. Loaded the SD card into the PE and powered it up. It found the SD card. Launched LINK2SD and it found the 2nd partition! Moved several apps to the SD card. And all is well!

Q: Should we backup the external SD card periodically? If so what is the best method to do so??

Thanks to all for their help, but especially Kenny!

Now I am ready to tackle rooting my Moto Cliq XT phone. Just need to decide the best method.

Bob
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #38
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Kennyminot
I'm new to android and linux. What's the advantage of the ext3 partition vs another fat32 one?
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #39
kennyminot
Groupie

FAT32 is pretty old and slow. However, in this case, I doubt you'll really notice any "advantages" from using the ext3 partition; I only used it because ClockworkMod automatically created one, so I didn't have to fiddle with manually partitioning the device.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #40
littleal
littleal began at the beginning.

Device: Hindle DX and Entiurage edge
Apps to sdcard

I am trying to do this but as I am visually impaired there is no way that I can edit the 2 files mentioned. Therefore I will have to copy and paste but I do'nt know how. Can someone give me directions as to how to do it.
littleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #41
kennyminot
Groupie

The consensus seems to be that you need to copy and paste all three files that I posted to your system/etc folder. To do this, you need to begin by copying the files to your eDGe (either by using your USB port or through Dropbox). Then, you can use Root Explorer to copy and paste them over. Before you get started, you should rename the void.fstab.internal and void.fstab.external files to void.fstab.internal.old and void.fstab.external.old. Then, press and hold on the files that you want to copy, select "move," and then put them in the system/etc directory.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #42
ghentj
ghentj began at the beginning.

For those of you having a problem with the edge/pocket edge recognizing the partitioned SD card:
I could not ever get this working after trying many times, until I manually created this folder:
/data/sdext2

I also did mess with permissions (so I'll list them in case it was some kind of combination that fixed my problem)
for the link2sd to:
User RWX
Group R-X
Other ---

and changed the external/internal modified vold files to
RW-R--R--

Hope that helps anyone having the same problems/frustration I did.

It was located somewhere in here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-li...roid-21-eclair on post from emmerick.
ghentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #43
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to MobileRead, ghentj!

What a helpful first post!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #44
ghentj
ghentj began at the beginning.

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been trying to get this stuff to work for a little while now and was just getting more and more frustrated - all the posts folks put on here with what they did to resolve their problems were so helpful and sometimes it just takes that last post to get you going. Hopefully everyone keeps posting their ideas and fixes as there are probably a ton more people that read and are helped by the forums than anyone realizes.
ghentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #45
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah, Kenny...., Gracias. I finally got it after struggling for I will never tell how long! I was composing a "help, I'm stuck" post before a complete clean install thinking I had it all botched up again. Since I got Link2SD moving apps to the /data/sdext2 file (taking I will never tell how long) I was loathe to cry "Uncle". Took one last comparative look at your three files and lo and behold somehow I had add a carriage return causing a space between the last to lines of the install-recovery.sh file. Recopied, rebooted, wandered around for 20 mins hesitant see if that solved anything. It did of course and I danced around like a fool for a full 3 mins.
Maybe now I can quite dreaming of this thread.

I do have a couple of questions, should the Link 2SD app be also linked to SD card? What is the file intsdcard (with a date of Dec 69) containing a copy of the files in the internal storage files listed in the extsdcard? I know they're copies because one of the things I tried was deleting a couple and they were deleted in the both places.

Like the fool that I am, I'm already wondering if I ready to take on Market again.

Again, many thanks to you and all the wonderful, helpful folks in the eDGe MR Forum.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote