Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
legallady
legallady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Question Accessories for Kindle

Hello. I purchased the Kindle 3G last week and love it. I would like to take it while I walk and listen to audio books. The only solution I can think of is a fanny pack. I haven't seen a Kindle accessory to make it hands free and still keep it relatively stable and close to the body. Does anyone have a suggestion?
legallady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Depending on where you walk, and what you would be willing to use/wear... I'd say try a small backpack. I have one that has a small, thin compartment that I'm certain a kindle (Even possibly a netbook) would fit there, and be stable. And there's a hole in the top specifically for headphones.

If it's specifically for audio books, I would even suggest maybe picking up a small media player to use for audio books. I have a Sansa Fuze that is great for just that.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I have this from Vera Bradley (different pattern though). I can get my Kindle (not in it's Oberon though), cell phone, business card holder, small soft ID holder, small notepad and lip balm in it. it is also small enough to stick into my larger tote that has my laptop and other accessories in it. I can take out the little one, run into a store, appointment, etc. and I take it with me always when I am at the dog park handing out business cards and taking personal contact information from people. it wouldn't be good for strenuous activity like jogging. there are small camelbacks that have padded sleeves that are perfect for kindles with and without covers. I use one of those when I ski.

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Only this afternoon, I saw someone running in the park. He was wearing some sort of holder on his arm, holding what at quick glance looked very much like a Kindle.

Unfortunately, he was running too fast for me to stop him and ask him about it. But at least it shows that such things exist.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
legallady

Thanks for the suggestions. I will need to get creative. My kids have threatened me if I wear a fanny pack in public where anyone knows them, but hey, you do what you have to. I do have a little MP3 player, but I've gotton attached to the Kindle.
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use a Sansa Clip+ for audio books. It's so small you can clip it anywhere and it works great for audiobooks because it has a bookmark feature. I paid like $60 for it.
I have it clipped to my shirt to listen to music while reading on my Kindle sometimes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I just ordered this to use camping at the beach. It has a lanyard though and I'm not sure that's any less embarrassing for the kids. My youngest is 18 so I can look as nerdy as I want to.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
What's a fanny pack? I'd Google it but me wife's sat behind me and she still goes on about that time I went looking for pictures of Kirby.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
What's a fanny pack? I'd Google it but me wife's sat behind me and she still goes on about that time I went looking for pictures of Kirby.
Here's a whole page of them:

http://www.rei.com/search?query=fann...x=0&button.y=0

And just a quick image:

http://www.rei.com/zoom/pp/db0d26dc-...095c60.jpg/150

Oh, text description:

A belt with an integral pouch. There are some very simple ones and some very elaborate ones available. I found one I had purchased for my dad (and have since inherited) works very well for the kindle. It is amongst the about 4 or 5 that I have acquired in varying shapes and sizes.

Last edited by FF2; 04-07-2011 at 07:18 PM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Gazerwolf
Enthusiast
Gazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheeseGazerwolf can extract oil from cheese

Device: 2 K2 Int, K4 SO, K4 Keyboard, Kindle DXG,Voyage(broke screen)PW4
I made myself a shoulder holster...basically an open topped leather pouch with a strap to go diagonally across my body. My Kindle 2 with Oberon fit in it easily.
Gazerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
legallady

I bought a fanny pack yesterday from a sporting goods store for $12. I sit hunched in front of a computer all day, so who cares what I look like as long as I get out there and get some fresh air and exercise. The Sansa clips are so cheap, I may end up getting one of those.
WVcherrybomb, I was worried about taking the Kindle to the beach b/c of the chance of getting it wet by being propped on a wet bathing suit and the inevitable sand & grit. But you seem to have found the perfect solution. I've bookmarked that page on Amazon.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Mr Ploppy, fanny packs used to be very popular and lots of people used them. But now they've fallen to the category of nerds and old people for some reason! Young people don't want to be seen with one, or even be seen with a person wearing one
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
to clear up some of the confusion, for countries that use the "Queen's English" a fanny is a dirty word
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
to clear up some of the confusion, for countries that use the "Queen's English" a fanny is a dirty word
Indeed - yes, I think that mr ploppy was having a little fun and he seems to have 'caught' a couple of members I detect a little English humour there!
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
LOL That's funny! It's not a dirty word here, but it is another word for butt.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote