Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I gave my Kobo Glo to my husband and bought a Kobo Mini for my daughter, but right now it would take a front-lit Sony Reader for me to budge from my PRS-T1. And I do hope they come out with one!
Same here.
And as far as the Kobo mini is concerned, I moved from a PRS-300 to the T-1, and I would never go back to a 5" screen.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Same here.
And as far as the Kobo mini is concerned, I moved from a PRS-300 to the T-1, and I would never go back to a 5" screen.
That reminds me, I had a Jetbook with a 5" screen, but once I got the Kindle keyboard (late 2010) I greatly preferred the size of the Kindle.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by liwei2012 View Post
Just in case everyone forgot, Sony has already released a "Lit" reader back in 2008, albeit with many flaws.
http://gizmodo.com/5097999/sony-prs+...l-improvements
The difference is that the 700 was a backlit eink reader while the current generation readers are front-lighted. You have to remember that Sony was one of the first to market with an eink reader and backlighted LCD readers such as the RocketBook were common at the time. They were ahead of the curve, but it wasn't quite the right idea.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
The difference is that the 700 was a backlit eink reader while the current generation readers are front-lighted. You have to remember that Sony was one of the first to market with an eink reader and backlighted LCD readers such as the RocketBook were common at the time. They were ahead of the curve, but it wasn't quite the right idea.
The 700 was a front side lit eink reader, just like the current readers - you can't have backlit eink by definition - eink screens are reflective not transmissive - the 700 just needed further work and refinement to improve the technology but others have done it instead...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The 700 was a front side lit eink reader, just like the current readers - you can't have backlit eink by definition - eink screens are reflective not transmissive - the 700 just needed further work and refinement to improve the technology but others have done it instead...
Interesting, I had always heard it was backlit... I don't own a 700, so I'm just going by what I've heard. Seems like Sony should be on top of this market... They were first on several occasions, but the timing and implementation wasn't quite right. My first Sony was a refurbed 600 and I loved it although the touchscreen layer made the eink a bit less sharp and I had one of the ones that faded in direct sunlight (didn't actually notice that until I'd had it a year or two). I skipped the x50 generation and picked up a T1 and love it, but Sony doesn't seem to know how to market them and doesn't offer good incentives to buy ebooks from their store. If they offer a nice frontlit reader that builds on the T1/T2, I might well pick it up. If Kindle offered EPUB support though, I'd probably pick up a Paperwhite as it has most of the features that attracted me to the Sony Reader other than EPUB.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Kiasmama
Kiasmama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
this is exciting
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I gave my Kobo Glo to my husband and bought a Kobo Mini for my daughter, but right now it would take a front-lit Sony Reader for me to budge from my PRS-T1. And I do hope they come out with one!
You are the first one to choose plain ereader over a lighted one. Can you tell me why? I had a Kindle PaperWhite, it was a good one (how lucky I was). I recently tried a couple of Kindle PW at local BestBuy, their screen were blotchy, I decide to look for other options. Kobo Glo is not widely available, any opinion is so welcomed. Thank you.

Last edited by david8866; 02-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, the options for a front lit reader as not that many.

There is the Kindle PW. Doesn't do ePub, so that's out.
There is the Kobo Glo but it's buggy so that's out.
There's the nook with Glowlight but that's not all that good.
There's the Onyx Boox i62HD but that's expensive.
There's the Bookeen one, but again it's expensive.

So really, the choices are just poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiasmama View Post
this is exciting
What is? Rumours?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #25
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Rumors are always more exciting than reality....
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
You are the first one to choose plain ereader over a lighted one. Can you tell me why? I had a Kindle PaperWhite, it was a good one (how lucky I was). I recently tried a couple of Kindle PW at local BestBuy, their screen were blotchy, I decide to look for other options. Kobo Glo is not widely available, any opinion is so welcomed. Thank you.
Hi David. I don't think my post was clear that the Sony was the reader I had in the first place (for about a year), and then I bought the Glo to try out. I wanted a reader for my husband, so that we could share books, but I also needed to see if he would even enjoy using one. So I tried it out and liked it, and he also liked it. At that point I didn't think we needed two Glos plus the Sony, and the Kobo Mini promotion was coming up. So I was able to save money by keeping the Sony and getting the Mini for my daughter, instead of getting another Glo and passing the Sony to my daughter.

However, that wasn't the only reason I kept the Sony for myself. I am just used to the way it works, and reading in low-light situations hasn't been such a big deal for me. But most of all, I like how easy it is to use the Sony with Calibre. I load all of my books through Calibre, and never use the Reader store. I also like the "real" page turning buttons on the Sony - maybe more than most people because I am left-handed.

I also plan to root my Sony reader when I have some time to mess with it, and I don't know if the Glo can be rooted, or if it can be rooted as easily as the Sony. I just feel like the Sony gives me a little more control over things. I don't like to be advertised to when I'm reading, so that was a point for the Sony. Plus, I'm comfortable with it - it just suits me.

I think the Glo is better visually, no doubt - a crisper and clearer screen even with the light off. But I have had a few issues when loading books through Calibre. Nothing I couldn't figure out, but since I load books onto my own reader several times a week but only once every few weeks for my husband and daughter, it makes a difference. And there's a tactile quality to the screen that is a bit strange (kind of sandy), but I'm sure I would have gotten used to it. That quality is probably one of the reasons the Glo screen is less reflective, which is a point in favor of the Glo.

However, this is probably the most salient point for you: If I had started out with the Glo (or Paperwhite) and had to trade it for a Sony PRS-T1 or T2, I would not be happy about it. I think it would feel similar to trading an HD TV for tube television. It would seem dark and dull, and the page turns would be slow and "flashy" in comparison. But I was quite happy with the Sony before the lighted readers came out, and if Sony introduced a lighted reader with the same general feel as the PRS-T1, that would be the perfect reader for me - worth an upgrade.

Bottom line: I think the Glo and the Paperwhite are great devices. I bought my dad a PaperWhite for his birthday/Christmas (both in December) because he was already using the Amazon "ecosystem" and I didn't think he'd want to mess with file conversion. He was using the Kindle Keyboard, and he loves his new reader. If I had a good Paperwhite, I don't think I would bother trading it for a Glo - or vice versa. And if I was getting my first reader now, I would probably choose one of those over the Sony.

Sorry for the long-winded post - I hope you find your "perfect" reader!

Courtney
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
However, this is probably the most salient point for you: If I had started out with the Glo (or Paperwhite) and had to trade it for a Sony PRS-T1 or T2, I would not be happy about it. I think it would feel similar to trading an HD TV for tube television. It would seem dark and dull, and the page turns would be slow and "flashy" in comparison. But I was quite happy with the Sony before the lighted readers came out, and if Sony introduced a lighted reader with the same general feel as the PRS-T1, that would be the perfect reader for me - worth an upgrade.
This is also my situation. My first reader was a Sony and I liked it better than the other options at the time. I upgraded to the T1 ands still prefer it over other devices, but would take a nice lighted Sony. If I had not previously owned a reader, I would probably choose the Paperwhite.