Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
mrb712
mrb712 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Calibre does not recognize my Kindle

Hi,

I just updated to 0.7.14, and now I cannot upload books to my Kindle via Calibre. I have my Kindle connected to my Mac in USB drive mode as usual, but the device does not show up in Calibre. In the new version, there is no graphical representation of the Kindle as there was in previous versions. I don't know how to send the files to the Kindle. Could someone please clue me in?

Thanks,
Michael
mrb712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
when a device is connected, an icon representing the device appears in the toolbar
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
First thing I would try is to unplug and plug in again the Kindle. Then quit and restart calibre. That usually fixes most glitches in any program for me. Beyond that I'm not sure, I can't test the new version, I am waiting on my new Kindle and just got rid of my old one.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
mrb712

Thanks for the help.

I've tried all sorts of unplugging and restarting, deleting preferences, reinstalling, but none of that worked. So I downgraded to 0.7.4 and finally, the device was recognized again. I don't know what the deal is.

I checked the device debug info, and the Kindle was indeed recognized by the software, but it simply wouldn't show up in the UI. Oh well. At least I've got it working again.

Michael
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You do by any chance have an iPhonev or other Apple device plugged in as well? If so this will 'hide' the Kindle unless you disable the Apple device driver.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb712 View Post
I've tried all sorts of unplugging and restarting, deleting preferences, reinstalling, but none of that worked.
~~~
I checked the device debug info, and the Kindle was indeed recognized by the software,
You tried everything but sharing the device debug info with the group so we could try and help. itimpi did his best to read your mind and most likely hit the mark.

I'm glad you got it working.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
mrb712

I went back and updated Calibre to version 0.7.14, and with only my Kindle attached to the Mac, I launched the program and it was finally recognized by Calibre. I did not know of this little "feature" in the Mac OS where devices could be hidden in favor of other devices, so this is incredibly helpful for troubleshooting in the future.

Thanks, itimpi!!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Actually it is a dcalibre feature due to the fact that it cannot recognise 2 devices at the same time and the apple driver is higher in the priotiry list. Since most people interact with the apple devicews via iTunes rather than directly it is normally quite safe to disable he Apple driver in calibre, and then this issue does nor arise.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mac os x, troubleshoot