Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
jrw914
jrw914 began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader
EZ Reader Plus

Is there a US release date for the EZ Reader Plus? Previous comments said March, then April, but it doesn't seem to be out yet.

The Plus seems like it will compare favorably to the Pocketbook 360... 6" instead of 5, 16 grey levels instead of 4, a few better formats (like LIT). Should I keep waiting for the Plus, or are there arguments to be made for other models at the same price range (~$240)? Thanks.
jrw914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
yes I want to know as well. will there be a thumbwheel. I love that thing on the ppro
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The PLUS should be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw914 View Post
Is there a US release date for the EZ Reader Plus? Previous comments said March, then April, but it doesn't seem to be out yet.

The Plus seems like it will compare favorably to the Pocketbook 360... 6" instead of 5, 16 grey levels instead of 4, a few better formats (like LIT). Should I keep waiting for the Plus, or are there arguments to be made for other models at the same price range (~$240)? Thanks.
Dear jrw914:

When the plus is released it will have: 16 level gray scale, the Epson controller with 400MHz processor for far faster page turns, 16GB expandable memory, 64MB SD-RAM, USB 2.0, AND the User Replaceable Rechargeable Battery. To me that last item puts it in a far better class... and sets it far above the sealed-in battery on the Sony.

We are all waiting for the Program Manager to give the go-ahead to get these in our warehouse and start selling. There is an inventory of the EZ Reader Basic he wants to clear out or we lose money. THAT is the hold-up.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Everyone loves that scroll wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
yes I want to know as well. will there be a thumbwheel. I love that thing on the ppro
Dear Oncdoc:

You and me and everyone seems to love the Pocket PROs scroll wheel. It is a wonderful thing to have. However, to keep the cost to the exact same price as the EZ Reader Basic they elected to stay with the same housing as the Basic has. While they may make a last minute change... I do not expect the scroll wheel (sadly) on the PLUS. Costs are a funny thing, oncdoc... we all want them as low as can be... but sometimes that limits what you can add and a complete plastic redesign and PC Board redesign woulda cost quite a bit!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
No. There will not be.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
The Hanlin V3+ is already being sold by several vendors, and it looks externally just like the Hanlin V3. That means no scroll wheel on the V3+.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
kpetzing
kpetzing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh, not having the thumb wheel may be a deal-breaker for me. Unless in the new version the buttons don't click? That clicking from changing pages gets annoying.
kpetzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
The scroll wheel is what set the Pocket Pro above the others for me. Granted I liked all the supported formats, but I mainly seem to use Mobi and EPub, so the scroll wheel or lack thereof will definitely be a major factor in any future purchase considerations.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The Program Manager should probably have bit the bullet and released the Plus earlier; that $139 Kindle 3 is going to be a killer.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
bzyzny
bzyzny began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
yeah, the competition is stiff now. maybe astak is trying to strike a deal with a content provider so that they can sell the new ez reader at a loss and make up the difference thru book sales. at least, i think that would be their best bet since thats what amazon and B&N are doing. only other option is to make the firmware and software features super amazing so its worth the higher price. either way i wish i new when it is coming out because im tired of waiting and might just get the new kindle or the nook. i wish you the best of luck astak, i had the pocket pro before and loved it, would hate to see you exit the ereader market.
bzyzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
The Program Manager should probably have bit the bullet and released the Plus earlier; that $139 Kindle 3 is going to be a killer.
Well combine the fact that the price with the new e-ink screen with higher contrast ratio and you are spot on.

Having the EZ Reader Plus at $199 would be viable had the new Kindle not been released with wifi and the new screen. Had it just been a slightly smaller K2 then things would be different. I'm looking for a second reader right now (tax man owes me money) and the 6" will come in close to $300AUS, I looked at the Kobo ($199AUS) but the new Kindle is coming at delivered with power adapter at $190AUS. As much as I like the Hanlin built readers I'm finding I can pay 1/3 less and get far more (the screen is a big plus on the Kindle IMHO, don't care too much about file formats, I tend to buy most of my stuff from Baen anyway).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Honestly, I don't understand the mindset of the Astak management. For about 3 months, we ve been hearing the Plus is coming - every time Robert said it would take just a couple of weeks. They waited, and waited, saw the Nook dropped to $149, and saw K3 wich Pearl came out at $139, and still are seriously hoping to dump the old EZ Reader modle out first and then sell the plus at one third more expensive than the K3 and the nook? By the end of the year, there is likely a sub $100 six inch ereader on the market, the Plus will lose more ground. The hold off of the Plus is really becoming insane and suicidal.

Last edited by Sylver; 07-30-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
True. The Kobo is going to have to drop in price soon, because there's no way that is worth $149 compared to the $139 Kindle, even with Amazon's proprietary format.

I understand the problems Astak has with at least trying to make some profit on their products, but I think the focus should have been more on gaining greater name recognition first for a product that seems to give more value for the money (I don't have an Astak reader, but I'm just comparing its features to that of my own reader, and I had planned on buying the Plus) rather than letting it remain a niche product known only to people who frequent ebook forums and websites.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Honestly, I don't understand the mindset of the Astak management. For about 3 months, we ve been hearing the Plus is coming - every time Robert said it would take just a couple of weeks. They waited, and waited, saw the Nook dropped to $149, and saw K3 wich Pearl came out at $139, and still are seriously hoping to dump the old EZ Reader modle out first and then sell the plus at one third more expensive than the K3 and the nook? By the end of the year, there is likely a sub $100 six inch ereader on the market, the Plus will lose more ground. The hold off of the Plus is really becoming insane and suicidal.
They probably are stuck with a warehouse full of the older 6" readers, whose sales dropped out when they brought out the Pocket Pro(and their costs were higher than those Retail prices you quote)?

Then they lost a wad of money taking care of the "paint" problem

"Loss Leaders" only work if you have something else to sell after they buy the "loss leader". They already have the loss

What I don't understand, is lack of getting their bookstore issues fixed so people want to shop there. I have been back, a few times. I am mainly a "bookstore browser" type buyer. I head for a section. Then you need to catch my eye. Other times, I am after a Sequel and just want to "Grab and Go" Too me, Just plain bad "schwartz"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
DoctorX
DoctorX began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
Have to say I had decided on getting the EZReader Plus, but then it's just waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting.

Back then I would have paid even a bit extra to get the plus, but now plus is looking less and less appealing at the proposed price point as time goes on and technology improves.

I understand the need to save the bottom line, but if you guys keep delaying the launch of the Plus you're going to end up with two undesirable/out-dated models, and you'll be worse off than where you started.
DoctorX is offline   Reply With Quote