Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
JJanssen
JJanssen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Question Which new cellphone should I buy?

My contract with my mobile phone provider is up, so it's time to either get a cheaper subscription, or get a massive discount on a new cellphone. I'm looking at several new cellphones, with ebook reading in mind. First, though, my device history:

Sony Clie SJ-22/30, PalmOS 4.1 color 2" 320x320
Nokia 3650 (more or less simultaneously with previous), S60v1, 2" 176x208
T-Mobile MDA Pro (HTC Universal), WM5, 3.7" 640x480 (VGA portrait)
Nokia N95, S60v3, 2.6" 240x320 (QVGA portrait)

The Nokia 3650 had so few pixels and screen size that I didn't use it as my only reader, as the better/larger screen on the Clie outweighed the inconvenience of dual devices (just). The latter two have, in succession, been my only device.

On all 4 devices, I used the respective versions of Mobipocket, in combination with DRM-free Mobipocket files. Assume that file formats are probably not an issue for me. Getting a good app that works well, however, is, and my default choice of "buy whatever mobipocket runs on" appears to be failing.

I'm looking at several options, recently released or upcoming, for my new phone:

Nokia 5800 S60v5, 3.2" 640x360 ("nHD" portrait)
Nokia N97, S60v5, 3.5" 640x360 ("nHD" portrait)

HTC Touch Diamond2, WM6.1, 3.2" 800x480 (WVGA portrait)
HTC Touch Pro2, WM6.1, 3.6" 800x480 (WVGA portrait)

iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 2, 3.5" 480x320 (HVGA portrait)
iPhone III, iPhone OS 3(?), unknown

The iPhone(s) would have to be a distant possibility given their cost, but I'm willing to be convinced.

So the issues facing me are that only the WM mobiles have the option of Mobipocket. On iPhone or S60v5, I would have to find a new reader application. I'm told that on the iPhone there are several -- are they as good as mobipocket at providing me (after some configuration) a screen without margins, white on black, and no visible control elements, nothing but the text?

How about S60v5? Anything good on that platform?

Which platforms and/or devices have I neglected to consider?
JJanssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Windows Smartphone will certainly give you the widest choice in terms of reading application. I have an "HTC Touch" phone myself, and the Mobi Reader on it works pretty well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
JJanson, welcome to MobileRead.

Lots of books here for download, formatted by our own members, and lots of friendly advice as well, as you are sure to find out.

Enjoy the forums and don't hesitate to join in.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I don't have any of the phones you're considering, or ever used Stanza, but came across this Stanza supported formats chart.

Ahh, we've come so far in a couple of years. Back then, the first things we looked for in a cellphone were reception and call quality. Now, it's extra doodads.

Didn't you just love reading on the Sony SJs? I loved the rocker switch for paging, but often wished it allowed lowering brightness (on the SJ20, don't know about SJ22/30).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
You need to get whatever phone you like, but consider buying an all you can use Sim-card for 40 bucks to go with it. I think thats the wave of the future.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
If it help the 8gb Iphone 3g is now 100 dollars , Apple announced a faster version of their phone with 16gb and 32gb at 200 300 dollars respectively.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
If it help the 8gb Iphone 3g is now 100 dollars , Apple announced a faster version of their phone with 16gb and 32gb at 200 300 dollars respectively.
True, but don't forget the cost of service. The lowest plan will cost you $70/mo ($39.99 voice + $30 iPhone data plan) before taxes and that's with a 2-year contract.

Despite the cost, the combination of DynDNS+Calibre+Stanza has worked extremely well for me, so far.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
If you plan to read a lot, I'd go with the biggest screen, the Touch Pro 2. My Dell X51 (3.5") is a little nicer to read on than my Samsung SCH-i760 (2.8"). (I probably wouldn't go with the Apple, but I dislike Apple's way of doing things. That's a purely taste-driven choice.)

Enjoy,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
wait for the Toshiba G01, with a 4.1" screen. 9.9mm thick only. Still very pocketable. And 1 GB processor. Due out right about now. WM 6.1 or 6.5. Touch Pro 2 is very nice, but this is the next generation with Snapdragon. The Touch Pro is overpriced. More like this to come out from Acer, HTC, etc in Q4. HD video capable.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell, cell phone, phone, software