Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #31
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I found it. He presents an interesting argument. I don't necessarily agree with him, but it is thought provoking.
http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html

You have to take his words out of context to claim he hates gays.
I did not say he hates gays. I said he's a well known and vocal opponent of gays, and I don't back down from that statement one bit.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Geesh, talk about cowardice! You guys, and Card included, sit here in your isolated world of the forums and bash and insult people left and right, without thinking of the consequences? Would you ever call her (or anyone) a coward to their face? Would Card?

This is OT, but to the point about here comments on Dumbledore, remember that not one single person in her dozens of interviews had asked her directly about Dumbledore's past romances, at least up until that point. It obviously wasn't important enough for her to make it part of the plot, just like countless other details she that has left out of the books.

I didn't think it was necessary, but I'm not going to sit here and try to speculate about her motives for not mentioning it before, and neither should anyone else. The fact of the matter is that she was asked a question and she answered it. You don't think she would have answered that question the same way 8 years ago?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I did not say he hates gays. I said he's a well known and vocal opponent of gays, and I don't back down from that statement one bit.
You're right. You did not say that. I'm sorry.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #34
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I found it. He presents an interesting argument. I don't necessarily agree with him, but it is thought provoking.
http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html
You have to take his words out of context to claim he hates gays.
Nate, thanks for the link. I haven't read any of his books, but are they all as focused on Mormon beliefs, or is this just something he wrote in a serious bent?

I disagree with almost everything in the article, but then I am neither a Mormon nor a Christian. The views he expresses make me glad I am not.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Very little of his fiction is focused on Mormon beliefs, but even the works that do have this focus are still worth reading.

You should try to put this editorial in perspective. He wrote it from the viewpoint of an orthodox LDSer, in a magazine primarily read by Mormons. This affected the tone of the article.

He was not trying to convince you because you are not a Mormon. Instead of considering the arguments presented, try to understand the position from which they are made.

P.S. I do not agree with him, BTW.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #36
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
In reading his article, I'm once again reminded that there is nothing that is ever described as a "sin" that is something we just wouldn't want to do. (I use the term we in its universal sense. Some of us may not want to commit sin #1 but there are plenty of others who might.

I use as an example, it is not a sin to eat cow dung. Who would ever want to? It seems like someone (or someones) purposely looked around to find out what some group of people wanted to do and said, "Aha, that is a sin!"
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
In reading his article, I'm once again reminded that there is nothing that is ever described as a "sin" that is something we just wouldn't want to do. (I use the term we in its universal sense. Some of us may not want to commit sin #1 but there are plenty of others who might.
I use as an example, it is not a sin to eat cow dung. Who would ever want to? It seems like someone (or someones) purposely looked around to find out what some group of people wanted to do and said, "Aha, that is a sin!"
There are a few things ... like murder. But, I do see your point.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #38
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Very little of his fiction is focused on Mormon beliefs, but even the works that do have this focus are still worth reading.
You should try to put this editorial in perspective. He wrote it from the viewpoint of an orthodox LDSer, in a magazine primarily read by Mormons. This affected the tone of the article.
He was not trying to convince you because you are not a Mormon. Instead of considering the arguments presented, try to understand the position from which they are made.
P.S. I do not agree with him, BTW.
No, I understand that ... I justy wondered if Mormonism pervaded his fiction. I mean+to say, for example, that I like CS Lewis, but I know going in that I'm going to be slammed upside the head with Christian themes. Doesn't make it a bad read ... it's just that I prefer to be prepared before I pick up something that turns out to be religious propoganda in sci-fi/fantasy clothing.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
So, where are you getting the accusations of corruption from? Is it just that we are reading it that differently??
How else would you interpret the comment:

Quote:
The Second Circuit (New York) is home of almost all the major book publishers, so the judges and lawyers there grow up in a climate where appeasing deep-pocketed clients is very lucrative.
That, to me, is a clear accusation that judges are being "bought"; I really don't see how else one could interpret it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #40
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
This Ars Technica article is good:

Quote:
As a fantasy literature enthusiast, I am disappointed by Rowling's unwillingness to achieve a reasonable compromise with Ark.
By the way, Ark was not a party to the suit, he was a deponent.
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I think I heard her once say something about how the entire database is "hers" and she had plans to release it herself. Talk about injustice!

Derek
Did you also notice that she said that if she releases a lexicon all the proceeds would go to charity? Why are you being so "down" on this, Derek? This really was the most blatant act of copyright abuse I've seen in a long time - this guy just copied Rowling's work and was trying to make a fast buck from it! That being the case then naturally the entire database is hers - it is her work.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #42
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you also notice that she said that if she releases a lexicon all the proceeds would go to charity? Why are you being so "down" on this, Derek? This really was the most blatant act of copyright abuse I've seen in a long time - this guy just copied Rowling's work and was trying to make a fast buck from it! That being the case then naturally the entire database is hers - it is her work.
Harry, you've gone from "I believe something over 90% of the content of this book consisted of material "lifted" directly from the HP books" indicating that you haven't actually seen this lexicon to "most blatant act of copyright abuse". Did you see the work in the meantime?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've now read the full judgement, and it's clear from it just how blatant the copying was.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #44
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
A link would be nice?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...erdecision.pdf

Tags
copyright infringment, harry potter