Notices

Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
RickV
Enthusiast
RickV doesn't litterRickV doesn't litter

Device: none
Howdy. Looking to dip in my toes...

Hi all from Houston.

I've been researching (to the point of insanity) about Kindle, but i haven't quite decided yet. Now that friends are telling me of other readers and it just added to the confusion.

I plan on keeping it with me in the car as I drive around to various appointments and when I have downtime.

One of the things that is keeping me from fully committing is that some of my favorite authors that I like re-reading (Eddings, Clancy, Asprin,Elizabeth Moon) aren't available in ANY format that I've seen.

Another is the inability (that I know of) to purchase books from other sources. A half price book store sorta' thing, for older books or specialty books.

Finally, it is what is (to me) what appears to be the nickle and diming that Amazon wants to do to access some of the other features. This isn't a big deal because I travel with small computer I can browse with. It would have been nice to be able to do on a single device, though. I respect Amazon's right to make money, but geez!

The plus (for me) is the ability to read first chapters on books that I might not ordinarily see, but I wonder of some of Biographies, True crime, etc, that might NOT be available.

Oh yeah, I might buy one for my daughter if perhaps some of her (VERY EXPENSIVE) college books would be available in this medium instead.

I'm HOPING to make my decision in a few weeks.

now I'm going to up my geek quotient and go have a few beers, see Hellboy 2, and whine about my inability to get an Iphone.

Thanks all!
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hi RickV. Welcome to MobileRead. You've posted just in time t get in on the "Texas MobileRead Get-together" on August 23rd.

You'll be able to talk to members who use all manner of ebook reader devices (not just the Kindle). They might even let you... touch their ereaders (be still my beating heart). If you get chance, you may want to check it out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome to the forum, RickV. You've obviously been researching your options well. There are more ebooks available for the Kindle right now than for the Sony, although fortunately I've not seen too many titles I wanted that were only for the Kindle. Both of these have a long way to go before you'll find books from all of your preferred authors in ebook form. As to your daughter's college texts, I think you should put that out of mind, at least for now. The number of textbooks available for portable readers is miniscule and I think you would be crippling her if she had to read them on one of these devices. They are great for reading something from beginning to end and while you can flip between sections it's nowhere near as easy as with a nice big textbook (did I say nice??). I've tried using my Sony for work activities and it just doesn't cut it usually.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome.......

And regardless of what ebook reader yo choose you'll be ahead of the game. I dearly love the ability to download new books while waiting the the doctors office, and searching for an author from the Kindle.

And what 'nickel and dime' stuff are you talking about? While they do charge 10 cents per document to send, you can get around that by using your google email.....for free......Look it up, I believe its on the amazon Kindle page.

As for other books, you will find a wealth of older authors for free, available also to be downloaded directly to your kindle......

Look at this site and you can download their guide

also, you can go to
www.feedbooks.com and download their guide

And...
www.mnybks.com and download from you kindle by entering the code of each book......again, for free...

You can go online and search these sites to see what I"m talking about......enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome & you can find both Asprin & Elizabeth Moon in Mobipocket format (unDRMed) at www.baen.com. These will work on the Kindle or the Cybook Gen3 (which I have). Other formats are also available there and be sure to check out their "Free Library".
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Welcome & you can find both Asprin & Elizabeth Moon in Mobipocket format (unDRMed) at www.baen.com. These will work on the Kindle or the Cybook Gen3 (which I have). Other formats are also available there and be sure to check out their "Free Library".

See?? Now aren't you glad you 'dipped your toes?"........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, RickV. Welcome to the insanity!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi RickV and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 AM   #9
RickV
Enthusiast

Well, thank you all.
A friend of mine mentioned that I DO have a reader (an IPAQ PDA), but I use THAT for internet surfing.

I knew coming to a forum would allow me to explore it a bit more. Now I'm leaning towards the Kindle. So as to not to have everyone repeat themselves, is there a link (or 5) of threads that are currently debating the pro's and con's?

I'm still trying to figure meandering my way through these forums.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #10
RickV
Enthusiast

Well, thank you all.
A friend of mine mentioned that I DO have a reader (an IPAQ PDA), but I use THAT for internet surfing.

I knew coming to a forum would allow me to explore it a bit more. Now I'm leaning towards the Kindle. So as to not to have everyone repeat themselves, is there a link (or 5) of threads that are currently debating the pro's and con's?

I'm still trying to figure meandering my way through these forums.

Tags
indecisive