Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you know someone who has a ebook reader but isn't using it?
Yes 4 7.41%
No 50 92.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
lack of interest in ebook readers

I know a tech savvy person who got a Kindle for Christmas and hasn't touched it yet. I, of course, think it would be a fabulous toy, and would love to test it out in comparison with my Sony Reader. Does anyone else know someone who got a reader but isn't using it? Why do you suppose that is?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Does anyone else know someone who got a reader but isn't using it? Why do you suppose that is?
Some people simply don't like reading
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
No, if I did I would try very hard to borrow it.

Which reminds me, I must return the power meter I borrowed a year or so ago. I wonder if the owner remembers that I have it?
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I would vote but I don't think it would make much sense. I don't know anyone (except people at MR) with an ebook reader besides me - try as I may to show it off and perhaps encourage others.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
That's the thing. I would think if an ebook was dumped in someone's lap, they'd take a look at it, play around with it, or something. Is the general public so disinterested that they won't even play with one if they're given one? That's not a good sign at all for ebooks. I love mine so much that was totally convinced that if anyone just gave it a try, they'd love it. But I guess that's not the case.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
That's the thing. I would think if an ebook was dumped in someone's lap, they'd take a look at it, play around with it, or something. Is the general public so disinterested that they won't even play with one if they're given one? That's not a good sign at all for ebooks. I love mine so much that was totally convinced that if anyone just gave it a try, they'd love it. But I guess that's not the case.
It might not be a problem with eBooks. It might be a problem with books in general. If you are not one who reads books, then an electronic eBook display device won't be all that interesting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I agree with JSWolf.
If people don't like to read then it doesn't matter how many pbooks are sitting on their bookshelves or the number of ebook reader they receive as birthday present.
Reading books is just another hobby, like watching movies, playing computer games or hiking If I receive a whole mountain climbing set on my birthday it would either end up in the loft or I would find someone who might put the gear to a better use.

P.S. Actually, I voted No, however, ...my wife has ebook reader and she uses it twice a week? Only over weekend. She is not a big fan of book reading.

Last edited by astra; 03-07-2008 at 04:27 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must admit that I've bought all sorts of gadgets over the years that I've virtually never used - most notably a very expensive video camera.

eBook readers, however, I make huge use of, since reading is one of the great "passions" of my life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
These devices are still very new and most people have never heard of them which would seem to be a prerequisite to wanting one. Amazon did a good job of raising awareness in November but certainly Sony and the others have not. So I think it's still too early to judge. If a year from now there's not a substantial increase in public interest, then I'll probably be willing to agree with you that they are generally uninterested. Until then, I remain hopeful.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I agree that it's really only avid readers that would want a reading device, but there's also the question of content. I occasionally see posts complaining that they bought a reading device then couldn't find anything they wanted to read. My sister was just out visiting and was asking me all about my Kindle. She's a total fantasy junkie and reads at least 3 fantasy novels a week. She reads other stuff, too, but not nearly as much. I told her to check out the various stores and see who carries what and if there is enough out there before she decided which device was best for her, if it was worth it at all. She'd heard of the Sony and the Kindle but had no idea about all the different formats and the DRM, etc. If she'd taken the plunge before doing that research, she may very well have had a reader sitting around being an expensive paperweight.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
My old mum loves my ebook readers. She likes the fact you can change the font size and the fact that I upload books for her to sample. Mums are never wrong. However, she does also love to browse around the library and read the 'dead wood' kind - hereforthwith designated as 'woodies'. Once libraries start to introduce the idea of ebooks and ebook technology and make them freely available I firmly believe they will become more mainstream and socially acceptable - copyright concerns not withstanding.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I already jumped on one person for this over another poll, but you'd get a lot better information if you structured it like this:

-I know somebody who has an e-book reader and doesn't use it
-Everybody I know with an e-book reader uses it
-I don't know anybody else with an e-book reader

A lot of people who would reply with the third answer are going to check off the "No" option in your poll simply to offer their input, but that isn't what you want to know. You might even want to include an option for people to answer that they themselves have an e-book reader they don't use!
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
I already jumped on one person for this over another poll, but you'd get a lot better information if you structured it like this:

-I know somebody who has an e-book reader and doesn't use it
-Everybody I know with an e-book reader uses it
-I don't know anybody else with an e-book reader

A lot of people who would reply with the third answer are going to check off the "No" option in your poll simply to offer their input, but that isn't what you want to know. You might even want to include an option for people to answer that they themselves have an e-book reader they don't use!
However, what if you simply want to know :

'Do you know someone who has a ebook reader but isn't using it?'

Remember, too many choices can give people a headache and may not necessarily give you the answer you desire. No offence spooky69, I just couldn't resist.
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCooper View Post
However, what if you simply want to know :

'Do you know someone who has a ebook reader but isn't using it?'
Then you won't even get accurate results for that question, since people like vivaldirules (and I as well) are going to abstain from voting! I know that the choices in my example are definitely more confusing than "yes or no", but if clarity is an issue then including a "n/a" option (possibly explained in the first post as being the option for those who don't know someone else with a reader, though that's hardly necessary if we're trying to keep things simple) provides a simple out for people like me who don't have any way to offer out input in a way that's informative for the person who created the poll.
Also, keep in mind that while extra options might initially be more confusing than yes/no, if they're worded clearly then it actually forces the person answering to give more thought to the input they're offering, and any text replies they leave might end up being more informative.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I bet of those not using one they have, most were given as a gift then when they saw that the cost of the ebooks were the same or MORE then books in the store they just tossed it in a drawer.

I still feel the cost of ebook content is significant in making adoption so slow. As noted by others in threads around here, people don't feel like they bought anything when buying an ebook. So, people feel the price needs to be significantly lower for an ebook. I have to agree.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote