Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
we'll I'm now at 142MB after leaving pc idle for last 2 hours. that's another 10% increase since I last posted.

I think others now need to join in the measuring/monitoring process. it is not normal for an app to slowly but continually expand its memory footprint when it is idling, surely.

but likely the issue is limited to certain O/S, and to having calibre configured to go to system tray rather than to completely close.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As an experiment I have started (on Windows 7 / 64 bit) a Perf Mon session configured to capture system wide memory stats and Calibre process stats. I'll leave it going and see what gets captured.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
jhay777
jhay777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks cybmole, makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone!

Although 160MB may be normal for calibre when maximised and in use, it shouldn't be 300MB - 600MB (as mentioned in my initial post). Eagerly awaiting PeterT's observations...

Kovid, what do you mean when you say calibre is written in a memory managed language?
jhay777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That means that calibre contains no code to manage memory explicitly (well almost no code). That is done automatically by the runtime environment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just rechecked mine,
after doing nothing in calibre for several hours, its currently at 190Mb !
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Do you have any news sources or other periodic tasks that run? Doesn't really seem to be a memory leak, likely just something keeping objects in mem for a reason(even if unintended). I have quite a large library and it generally sits at around 240mb - I seldom close it, maybe weekly if there's an interesting update.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
cybmole
Wizard

as said before I do NOT use news, or periodic tasks.

idle should mean idle, not growing in footprint - lets see where it's at now - ... 198mb. I've not touched calibre since posting that it was at 190mb, & remember I started with it at circa 106mb yesterday morning.

i call this a (small) memory leak!

not enough to cause me problems but sufficient to demonstate that something somewhere needs fixing. ( but could be an issue with python as implemented in windows, not with calibre per se)

actually, the reason it's not caused me problems ever is that once a week the program gets closed & updated, which sets it back to circa 100Mb. if not for that it , & with an always-on PC, it could well go on climbing until it gobbles up huge amounts of RAM.

PS calibre surely does not hold the entire library in RAM - there are folks on here with 10,000+ books allegedly - & their loading times would be extreme if 10,000 files had to be opened & read.

so the reason I'm at 195 but you are at 240 is that your program has been active for longer, not 'cos you have more books ?

Last edited by cybmole; 10-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #23
cybmole
Wizard

I'm through the 200Mb milestone now - 300MB here I come.

haven't touched the calibre program for 2 hours, was busy fixing email issues.

if i sort processes on CPU usage within task manager, calibre.exe keeps re-entering the top 20, with 1% Cpu then reverts to 0% , drops down a few places, makes a comeback...., and with each comeback it has consumed a bit more RAM.... 201Mb & climbing...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is definitely caused by something specific to your systems. Just leaving calibre sitting in the tray causes 0 CPU activity and no memory usage fluctuations beyond a 5MB for me on XP.

As I said before, without being able to reproduce it, there is no way I can fix it. You will just have to remember to restart calibre periodically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is definitely caused by something specific to your systems. Just leaving calibre sitting in the tray causes 0 CPU activity and no memory usage fluctuations beyond a 5MB for me on XP.

As I said before, without being able to reproduce it, there is no way I can fix it. You will just have to remember to restart calibre periodically.
i guess the only way forward then is some sort of group user test/poll.

I don't use XP, I use win 7 ( 64 bit)

so far we have a sample of just 3 - you & the OP in XP , me on Win 7 - with 2 of 3 seeing some sort of leak. not enough or a diagnosis.

both vista & win 7 OS try to use all available RAM by caching data for future use. XP does not do that. - but I doubt that is the explanation here.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you talk of memory usage; which memory stat ARE you looking at?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard

i am looking at windows task manager - processes tab - column headed memory. currently showing 217,692k for calibre.exe.
more than any other running process.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i am looking at windows task manager - processes tab - column headed memory. currently showing 217,692k for calibre.exe.
more than any other running process.
I'm easily at that level within 10 minutes of starting calibre. I start at 165,000k edit the metadata for a couple books, convert a couple of books and I am right in the 224,000k range.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #29
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm easily at that level within 10 minutes of starting calibre. I start at 165,000k edit the metadata for a couple books, convert a couple of books and I am right in the 224,000k range.
on a 1Gb windows XP install that's 25% of total memory.- greedy.
If it were at that level only when working it would be less of an issue, but the fact that it never returns un-needed RAM when it reverts to idling is suspicious.

especially as a complete exit & restart will take me down from 217MB to...let's see... 100MB... now if I download some metadata --- up to 124MB.

it maybe loads metadata.db into RAM but that's only 2.5mb on my PC
Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If it were at that level only when working it would be less of an issue, but the fact that it never returns un-needed RAM when it reverts to idling is suspicious.
Your right in that once calibre does something it doesn't always release the memory, it seems to cache some data for later use. I'm fine with this.

Quote:
it maybe loads metadata.db into RAM but that's only 2.5mb on my PC
My metadata.db is 43meg on a library of 9300 books on my finished library and 45megs on my working library. It's not uncommon for calibre to be operating in the 325meg range, but somehow Firefox always seems to use just a little more ram.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memory leak