Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
scooterfrog
Enthusiast
scooterfrog began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
sync actross multiple devices

ok I have 3 devices that 2 8 year old girls my wife and I share
Ipod touch, ipad and android phone.

if I can find one piece of software that will sysnce latest read and bookmarks across these devices and does epubs I will be very happy.

until I got my android phone I was happy with ibooks. use the ipad at home and the touch on the run.

If can't load my epubs i am not interested.
if I get the right solution I will go buy another touch or old android phone for them as well. to use as semi dedicated readers.
Id be happy to 'host' the solution at home if its something i could do with calibre but I have no idea how to do it.
scooterfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
if I get the right solution I will go buy another touch
I'm pretty sure that's achievable with a mobilme account using iBooks.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

I have been unable to find ibooks for android. I am pretty sure it doesn't exist
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It doesn't exist. Apple wants you to use their devices and only their devices.

Personally, I would use a different ereader app that is available on all three and buy books from a different store but that is me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
What about Nook? Works with epub, offers sync, and I believe there are apps for all of the devices you mention?

Sheri
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

ok that's closer to the anser I am looking for. which store has an app that will
sync latest read and bookmarks
allow me to side load my ebooks which are currently epubs. I don't need it to sync the books I may not want all the books on all devices.

can I upload books to google books or does their bookshelf only work with books I buy from them?.
so not ibooks which nealy does what I want.
nook kindle kobo, google books. on android I like laputa is what I want the holy grail?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
nook sync only works with the books bought from B&N.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon sync works with books bought from Amazon but can be made to work with non-Amazon books using Mobi2Mobi. Check in the Kindle forum. I think it has to do with adding the ISN number but am probably wrong.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

hmm ill look into that.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kindle won't handle ePub though
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

I can convert with calibre to mobi so I can manage that. so do I just need to make sure that I have an isbn (isn) to allow them to sync pages read and book marks

that's a small concession to get the rest to work correctly. I can do it just to the stuff I am reading at the time.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Kindle won't handle ePub though
I knind of guessed that anyone willing to learn how to use Mobi2Mobi for synching purposes would be fine with using Calibre and stripping DRM if needed.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
scooterfrog
Enthusiast

working on a test case
converted epub to mobi
now need to add an asin. I suppose I could use whatever I want here or get the actual product number by searching amazon

how do I get the ebook up to my archive
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterfrog View Post
working on a test case
converted epub to mobi
now need to add an asin. I suppose I could use whatever I want here or get the actual product number by searching amazon

I am assuming you are using one of the Kindle 4 apps... Sideload it or send it to the device using Calibre.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
so do I just need to make sure that I have an isbn (isn) to allow them to sync pages read and book marks
Non-amazon content will never sync bookmarks, highlights and stuff. The best you can hope for is to keep track of your "Furthest read page" across different devices. Hopefully, that will be enough for your purposes.

Also:
Quote:
You will never get non-Amazon content to show up in your "Archive." It will have to be individually loaded on each device in one of the ways ProfCrash has mentioned.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote