Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
tylau0
Connoisseur
tylau0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC location of Calibre recipe ebook output

Is it possible to have the table of content generated by calibre news recipe to be put at the top rather than the bottom of the ebook output?

Thanks.

-Eddie
tylau0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylau0 View Post
Is it possible to have the table of content generated by calibre news recipe to be put at the top rather than the bottom of the ebook output?
I don't have a Kindle but I'm sure the TOC can be access via the joystick.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
tylau0
Connoisseur

So far I can't find a way to go to the in-document TOC with a few clicks on my Kindle (by neither the joystick nor the menu). :-(

I strongly suggest showing the in-document TOC at the front of the document. I am currently working on some Asian newspaper Calibre recipes for my Kindle 3. I find I can't depend on the Kindle's built-in article list and section list to give the article overviews because the device can't display Asian characters in these lists properly. The in-document TOC is the only way I can find so far to work around. However, that TOC neither is showing up right after opening the document, nor could be reached with a few convenient clicks of the joystick or menu items.

Or is there a way to specify the in-document TOC as the default starting page in Calibre news recipe?

-Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have a Kindle but I'm sure the TOC can be access via the joystick.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
click menu and then click got to table of contents to access the table of contents.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
tylau0
Connoisseur

I think I have found a relevant post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101754

Kindle doesn't allow "Go to TOC" to show up in menu because the device recognizes the calibre news recipe output to be a periodical not a e-book.

Is it possible to ask the calibre news recipe to generate an e-book rather than periodical?
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
change your output profile to something other than a kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
tylau0
Connoisseur

I've tried turning the output profile to Mobipocket reader. However, the .mobi output so generated is still recognized as periodical by the Kindle device.

There are auto-generated links "Next", "Previous", "Section Menu" and "Main Menu", but the latter two don't work on the Kindle device.

Is it possible we hardcode the link to toc in some calibre recipe construct, like postprocess_html() function? If so, what should be the statement to link to the toc?

Thanks again.

Last edited by tylau0; 11-03-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
tylau0
Connoisseur

Or any way I can customize the ebook-convert command line for a particular output profile? I'm not sure if I can delete the -mobi-periodical option to achieve what I want? (Ref: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=48459&page=10)

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
tylau0
Connoisseur

I finally work out a satifactory work-around.

In the news recipe that inherits from BasicNewsRecipe, override the function def create_opf(self, feeds, dir=None) with exactly the same content as in the base class http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...eeds/news.html, except the line

mi.publication_type = 'periodical:'+self.publication_type+':'+self.short _title()

Change it to

mi.publication_type = self.publication_type+':'+self.short_title()

The string "periodical" looks to be why the Kindle device treats the generated document as periodical rather than a book. Relevant Calibre source codes are at here and here.