Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #211
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I shan't be buying one myself. None of these devices offers anything that I want over my existing K3.
I'm interested in touch, but I won't pay $100+ for it when my K3 is perfectly good.

If you look at Amazon's home page with the Kindle lineup, it doesn't look like they are positioning these as the K4; it looks more like they are supposed to be supplemental to the existing K3 (err, Kindle Keyboard), but basically of the same generation.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #212
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
No Amazon-made cover for the Fire, yet. There's an "official" one from Marware, but hopefully Amazon will make their own.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #213
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Lack of card slot on the Fire leaves me cold; but who knows, .
Yup. When I see lack of a card slot iI check and see if it is about a hundred bucks or less and, barring that cheap price there is nothing that the device could have in specifications to make it worth my time reading about.

Sometimes minimum standards are non-negotiable.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #214
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Yup. When I see lack of a card slot iI check and see if it is about a hundred bucks or less and, barring that cheap price there is nothing that the device could have in specifications to make it worth my time reading about.

Sometimes minimum standards are non-negotiable.
And yet I notice you have a Sony PRS-350 which does not have a card slot .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #215
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
No Amazon-made cover for the Fire, yet. There's an "official" one from Marware, but hopefully Amazon will make their own.
I love the leather cover they made for the K3.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #216
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
This is the first time I've thought a Kindle looks good. All of the others just weren't sleek enough for my tastes, but I actually LOVE the look of the Kindle Touch, compared to the new Sony PRS-T1. the new Sony has a shiny border, which is a total no-no, and I love the matte grey color of the Kindle. I think I'll get a 3G Kindle Touch, just haven't decided on Special Offer vs. no Special Offer..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #217
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
I was looking forward to the new Kindles but unfortunately none of these seem like an upgrade from the K3 to me. I think I'll just skip this generation of e-readers.
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #218
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And yet I notice you have a Sony PRS-350 which does not have a card slot .
But that's an ereader. My ereader doesn't have one either. It's a different story when discussing tablets.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #219
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not waiting on any new features. With an aging Kindle 2, I was hoping that I would always be able to replace it with something similar: eInk, full button navigation (including keyboard) and no advertisements. They've "improved" themselves right out of one repeat customer (not like they'll care... Amazon's not my friend ).
I couldn't agree more. I was hoping for basic improvements like better pdf, more memory, improved battery life. I bought a refurbished K2 because mine suits my needs pretty well. I'm only slightly tempted by the Touch 3G because it is really pocket size -- pretty much like the Sony Touch readers...
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #220
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by avariel View Post
I don't see why not. Both companies are going to be using similar components and I haven't seen a study that says Amazon users buy more books than BN users.
Because Amazon has better clash flow and is a bigger company. They are probably losing money with these devices or the profit in terms of hardware is extremely low.

Amazon's intention is selling stuff, using these devices as a marketing tool!!! Selling digital products is the cheapest thing you can do on Internet. Zero cost of manufacturing, you just pay for host, and that's it.

To give you an idea, the cost of making the HP Touch pad is around $300.00, and it's for HP, which has the largest supply change in the world.

Yes, I see B&N in serious problems here.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #221
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But that's an ereader. My ereader doesn't have one either. It's a different story when discussing tablets.
That's very much a matter of opinion. I'm very happy with my card-slotless iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #222
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wow! Wow! Wow! ... ...

just need to know, please, please, if landscape mode is supported, on the eink devices I mean.

God, please listen to my prayers!
Apparenly you can. From Kindel non-touch spec:

Quote:
Rotate Between Portrait and Landscape Mode
Switch between portrait and landscape orientation to read maps, graphs and tables more easily.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #223
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
This, really, is the most impressive part. The prices are undoubtedly spectacular.

A Kindle for as low as $79??? I think Amazon might just have put all small eReader manufacturers out of business.
No, just other low performance mobipocket reader manufacturers.
whoever those are.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #224
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaan View Post
I was looking forward to the new Kindles but unfortunately none of these seem like an upgrade from the K3 to me. I think I'll just skip this generation of e-readers.
Touch is a major upgrade for me, so I'm getting one. My KSO will become a backup; besides, it's paid for itself several times over because of the Special Offers. So by applying some of those savings to the KSOT, it'll be free from the get go.

Thank you Amazon for giving me 2 free ereaders
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #225
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It would appear that you have to load your personal non-Amazon stuff into your Amazon cloud storage area - which you can then (allegedly) access via the Fire.
i
It has a USB 2.0 port.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote