Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Calibre library created in Windows....

...will it be okay if I move it to a Mac? My rather large calibre library was created in Windows 7. I'm trying to migrate to Mac OSX as my main o/s though, and was wondering, can I save my database/library and move it onto the Mac and just point calibre to it? Or are the two o/s's different enough that calibre will throw fits?

Thanks
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Thanks Kovid, missed that entirely. And I did look.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You might want to update that with the new location for that function (Library Icon pull down arrow)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You might want to update that with the new location for that function (Library Icon pull down arrow)
On a new computer clicking the button is still the correct thing to do. Only after you have created more than one library will the button change to one that always pops up a menu.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
On a new computer clicking the button is still the correct thing to do. Only after you have created more than one library will the button change to one that always pops up a menu.
Oh!
Explains it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
addressee
addressee began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4g
Same database used from Windows and Mac?

(but not at the same time)

Having trouble opening Calibre library in Mac.

My Calibre library was created under Vista and successive updates to Calibre 0.8.10 have been no problem. I've recently found that I'm using a Mac (OS X 10.6.8) more often at home (Windows Vista is still my 'default' option) so I would like to be able to access the library when I'm using my Mac.

The library is stored on a Windows Home Server, and the library folder is easily accessed through Mac Finder. I installed Calibre 0.8.10 on the Mac and it runs fine. Then I chose "Switch/Create Library" to access the existing library on the server and received the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 0.8.10
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:disk I/O error
	RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
	  File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 245, in run
	  File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 223, in connect
	OperationalError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/dialogs/choose_library.py", line 106, in accept
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/dialogs/choose_library.py", line 81, in perform_action
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/actions/choose_library.py", line 406, in choose_library_callback
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 480, in library_moved
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 191, in __init__
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 142, in connect
  File "site-packages/calibre/library/sqlite.py", line 360, in connect
DatabaseException: disk I/O error
In the dialogue to select the library, I navigate to "/Volumes/Users-1/calibre".

Finder info for the library folder is:
Where: /Volumes/Users-1/calibre
Server: smb://hpserver/Users/calibre
It would seem to be a "disk I/O error".
When I go back to Vista, there's no problem.

Any suggestions for tweaks to allow access from Vista and Mac?

Thanks!
addressee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance you don't have access from the Mac to the share?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
addressee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any chance you don't have access from the Mac to the share?
Hi Peter,

The share is easily and quickly accessed through Finder (more rapidly than through Explorer in Vista). So I don't see a permissions issue.

Looking back at
Quote:
Finder info for the library folder is:
Where: /Volumes/Users-1/calibre
Server: smb://hpserver/Users/calibre
... the true navigation is "/Users/calibre", not "/Users-1/calibre".
I don't know where the '-1' comes from or if it is (part of) the problem.

I was hoping that ID'ing some of the python calls might narrow it down.
I'll have to do some more testing.

thanks.

Last edited by addressee; 07-21-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
addressee

Quote:
Originally Posted by addressee View Post
I was hoping that ID'ing some of the python calls might narrow it down.
I'll have to do some more testing.
I moved the library to a new folder on the WHS: "Books" using Calibre in Vista. Opened fine in Vista.

Back in OS X, opening Calibre said there was no library at the old location, would I like to try somewhere else?

Selecting the new server folder coughed up this error:

"Corrupted database"

"Your Calibre database appears to be corrupted. Do you want calibre to try to repair it automatically? If you say No, a new empty calibre library will be created."

Quote:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 215, in initialize_db
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 191, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 142, in connect
Selected: Yes:

"ERROR: Repair failed. Starting with a new empty library."

Quote:
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 137, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/debug.py", line 67, in reinit_db
Cancelled out to quit Calibre.

Relaunched to an empty at a new empty folder "/volumes/Mac.booktest" on the server. So I can't see this being a server/permissions issue.

I keep many things on this local server from music to photos, docs, video files, etc., all of which can be accessed through Vista, Win7 and OSX, as well as other devices such as a WDTVlive device. So it's down to Calibre.

Plug-Ins? I don't recall installing any, but am wondering if an oversight may be the culprit. That being said, there are so many default plug-ins I wouldn't know where to start.

Plug-In Tweaks? (author name sort? remove yellow box around library?) ?

(We need a new bumper sticker: "I'd rather be reading".)
Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You are trying to run calibre on a network file system. That is not recommended. Most network filesystem have broken implementations of file locking, which means sqlite will not work with them.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #12
addressee

I would have expected a similar result to those running Calibre against a network service like Dropbox. It has been working well from Vista, with the library on the WHS share. Any slugishness I had put down to Vista. Maybe I should try running from a Linux distro.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

dropbox is not a network filesystem, dropbox syncs changed files to/from the network.