Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 10-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
jobooth321
jobooth321 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T|X
Plucker/Sunrise for Palm TX

Ok. Here goes. I'll probably get voted off the site, but I'm going back to Avantgo. I've been spending some time working with Plucker on my TX and I'm not diggin it. It resets the Palm all the time! I've tried all the fixes and settings that people have suggested and it won't stabilize Plucker. Weird. It looks like great software and when teamed up with Sunrise, makes a great combo. I scheduled a bunch of RSS feeds to update before I got to work so when I sync'd in the morning, I got fresh feeds. But when sittin' on the can and perusing my news clips, I can't. The TX just resets. Unreliable.

-I tried uninstalling/reinstalling (with soft/warm resets inbetween)
-Used 1.8 version of Plucker and also tried the "up to the day" version of Plucker but lost some functionality with the beta version.
-Tried "Clean Plckr"
-Tried different RSS/news feeds. It does it on any feed.

I originally wanted to get this working on my Mac, but Sunrise has problems on OSX systems still. It worked most of the time, but sometimes would fail and would always lock up when trying to close the app.

Is it wrong that I want software that works every time and doesn't crash my Palm or lock up on my Mac? It would also be nice if I could update the feeds wirelessly from my Palm. Sometimes I'll be in a cafe or at home and with Avantgo, I can update all the feeds then head back on the road and read them later offline. Pretty handy.

I'll deal with the ads and crap from Avantgo. At least it won't reset my Palm. Am I the only one experiencing resets now with a TX and if so, anyone have any ideas/fixes to try? I'm still wishing it worked and will keep trying.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I would say Avantgo is the best option for you and that it's not a bad choice to begin with.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
alanhoyle
alanhoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
I've had the occational problem with similar things happening on my TX.

I keep Plucker in RAM and the associated PDBs on my card. I also keep an extra copy of Plucker on the card. When this happens for me, I delete Plucker from RAM (along with its prefs) and copy it back over from the card.

That fixes the problem for me most of the time.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
PalmTxer
PalmTxer began at the beginning.

I think it depends how far down the rabbit hole you really want to go! I've gone to hell and back on some non-related synching issues so if you want to take the big plunge, backup everything, do a hard-reset, create a new Palm profile and restore back to the Palm. This could and will clean up files on your Palm that shouldn't be there and from there install with fresh copies of SunriseXP & Plucker.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
I've solved this problem a couple of times by deleting Plkr-UnCoMpReSS. No need to reinstall anything or reenter preferences.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I had exactly the same problem on my TX, resetting when I would try to open large Plucker documents. ("Large" meaning anything more than about 1.5 MB.) The problem went away when I deleted a totally unrelated application, PalmaSutra. That also solved a number of other problems I was having.

The moral: any app on your PDA can cause problems with other apps, no matter how unlikely it may seem. Check everything out.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
jobooth321
jobooth321 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC
I've solved this problem a couple of times by deleting Plkr-UnCoMpReSS. No need to reinstall anything or reenter preferences.
Actually, I suppose that I should have replied. I've come back to Plucker and done some troubleshooting. I started off with a hard reset and worked with all different programs. Nothing affected Plucker. I found, as well, that deleting the UnCoMpReSS file worked wonders. CleanPlkr didn't do much for me. I guess you could say I went pretty far down the rabbit hole, right? But hey, I'm not using Avantgo and am seriously happy with Plucker.

I just wish it would pull images/links off the web via Internet connection. THAT would be cool.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
crumpley
crumpley began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Also having problems with Plucker

I have to agree with the posts about giving up on Plucker. I, too, have a favorable general impression of the program, and really wanted to settle on it as my main offline reader software. However, I have also reached the limits of my patience with the constant resets on my TX. I have also tried all of the posted remedies, and some of them work for awhile.

It may be conflicts with other programs, it may be something else that is not directly the fault of Plucker, but the fact remains that Plucker is the only app on my Palm that is this unstable.

The latest reset phase began about ten minutes ago. I have decided enough is enough and I am going to remove Plucker and not reinstall it until it somehow manages to become a normally stable application.

Glenn
Old 10-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
bsquare
bsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it is

There is a version 1.9 of Plucker posted over on the 1src.com TX forum that cleared up any instability I had with plucker crashing on my TX. Basically, it just cleans up all the junk as it's launching so if you have a bad channel then it doesn't get Plucker stuck in an infinite crash.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
HeffeD
Enthusiast
HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Z22
So is the version 1.9 released by someone other than the Plucker developers? I'm just curious because I don't see 1.9 on the official Plucker page.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
bsquare
bsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it is

Alex Pruss posted an updated 1.9 over on this thread here:
http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=15

but the link to his download he posted on post #28 isn't there anymore. So hopefully, it's not a problem if I post it here. The about menu says 1.9.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Plucker.PRC (274.2 KB, 932 views)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
HeffeD
Enthusiast
HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.HeffeD has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Z22
Thanks, working well so far!

If they've fixed the infinite loop crash on library items, I might be able to expand my plucked pages. Up to this point, there have been a few pages I've wanted to read that seem to consistently cause Plucker to crash hard. (I'd been using the uninstall, reinstall method to fix this)