Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
LETHE (free)

LETHE is now ready for public consumption after a thorough revision.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15436

BLURB: Dan Tompkins, dead of supernatural causes at age 22, washes up on Lethe, where souls go to forget life and strive for Elysium. Pining for Gina, the love he left behind, Dan wants out. He teams with rogue soul Marco Sabonis to find a way back to the land of life. The Elysial powers are not amused. There may be Hell to pay.

Warning: do not attempt to read this if you can't handle a first person, present tense POV. I know that it can drive some people nuts. Also, note that chapters one and two are probably the least penetrable of all of the chapters in this book. Its not the best strategy, I realize, for hooking readers, but it accomplishes what I am seeking artistically.

Be warned, this book is a departure (an experiment) from my usual style, but some of my beta readers seem to have enjoyed it, even in its earlier, cruder form. Give it a shot if a very different take on an afterlife story appeals to you. Those who have already downloaded it might want to pick up this improved version.

Last edited by ASparrow; 08-10-2010 at 11:16 PM.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATE: The upload went through and the new version is online.

Last edited by ASparrow; 08-10-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thank you! I just downloaded it.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
ASparrow
Addict

PEREGRIN is also complete now and available as a free upload from Smashwords, but this is a "beta" version which I suspect contains missing words and typos that my bleary eyes can't detect, so downloaders should beware. I'll be combing through a hard copy as I travel through Ethiopia next week. I welcome all brave beta readers to chime in with any errata they spot. The final version should be up by September 1, for those who would prefer an error-free copy.

Coming Attractions (I'm working on fleshing out 5 simultaneous ideas, hoping that one will float to the top to become my next novel):

1. Sonant : About non-anthropomorphic faeries and avant-garde music and global warming
2. Vultures in the Playground : mistaken identity thriller about corporate assassins and an NGO drone in West Africa
3. The Ark of Turek : alternative history involving an attempted intervention from the future to allow Poland to hang on just long enough against the Nazis in 1939 to avert the Holocaust.
4. Cinquefoil : Henry David Thoreau returns to Concord 150 years after his death to seek a second chance at his reincarnated (previously unrequited) love
5. Petra : Vampire girl as mosquito (my attempt to overturn and disembowel the vampire genre via entomology)

(This ranking reflects the current prioritization, but it may change))
Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
ASparrow
Addict

For what it's worth, "Sonant" is making the strongest bid in my imagination at the moment - 18K and growing. It didn't help that I left the latest draft of "Vultures" behind when I left for Ethiopia.
Still editing "Peregrin," but finding much cleaner copy than "Xenolith" was when I first released it. Either that or I'm as blind as a bat.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
ASparrow
Addict

Why read Lethe? Without any reviews, I have no clue whether it resonates with anyone. But if you can handle first person viewpoints I think you'll find it a novel take on the afterlife (npi). But I can understand if the writing style repulses. Take a peek. It's free.

Meanwhile, Sonant has hit 27k and I have found a plot arc with enough ups and downs to be worth a full novel.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
dreamsgate
Connoisseur
dreamsgate doesn't litterdreamsgate doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
Downloading now. I'll check it out after I finish "Remix".

Looks to be a good story.
dreamsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
dreamsgate
Connoisseur

I also downloaded PEREGRIN, I am looking forward to reading that one as I really enjoyed Xenolith.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
ASparrow
Addict

Thanks. Just be warned that I've discovered a few typos in Peregrin and will be uploading a tweaked version once I return from Ethiopia.

Xenolith, by the way, was recently approved by PoDhouse UK, a recently begun web service that vets self-published books for basic quality in spelling, punctuation, grammar etc. before posting links, review excerpts, etc. for free on their site.
They don't provide their own reviews, just a basic seal of approval that assures readers that the basic mechanics of a manuscript are in good shape.

Check them out at:

http://www.podhouse.co.uk/

Although Xenolith has just passed their muster, the version I first released last October probably would have failed due to inadequate proofing.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
dreamsgate
Connoisseur

Lol, well unlike some, I don't fuss too much about minor errors as long as I can figure out what it was supposed to be.

I have read too many so called professionally published book with the same problems, so I don't hold it against anyone anymore.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
yay! a book I have been looking to download. I lost the previous(beta) version when my hard drive died.

Thanks heaps!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #12
ASparrow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
yay! a book I have been looking to download. I lost the previous(beta) version when my hard drive died.

Thanks heaps!
I hope you like it! Although I consider Lethe beyond Beta, I wouldn't be surprised if it may need a few more tweaks. Peregrin will definitely be touched up a bit on my return.

Another thing gnawing at me about Peregrin are the chapters that I left out for pacing and effect. Instinct tells me I did the right thing, but I'd be very interested in hearing if any readers sense any holes, particularly in the latter third of the book.

Funny, but a book on editing by a famous editor that I brought along on my trip has a glaring typo in Chapter 2. I guess my typos are in good company.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
ASparrow
Addict

My first review for Lethe:

"Thoroughly recommended.

The book begins with the death of young man Daniel, the main hero of the book. From here the book looks backward, a little bit, but mainly it looks forward, to her (no, "her" is not a typo ;-) ) adventures on Lethe.
Lethe is the place where [some?] souls end up [temporarily?] when they die. Except that Daniel is not a soul. Jet.
To me, Lethe had a lot in common with the underworld from the Greek mythology. And yet, the book has a very contemporary feel.

I found the conclusion of the book very ... satisfying. I can't be more specific, because I do not want to spoil the book for you."
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
ASparrow
Addict

I have reached:

48k words for the next book on the block. (SONANT)

- just worked out how it's going to end

16k words for the one after that (VULTURES IN THE PLAYGROUND)

- this one will be my first non-fantasy, more of a comedic thriller

... as for LETHE, you'll either love it or hate it. It's that kind of book. Polarizing.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
ASparrow
Addict

New version of LETHE uploaded to Smashwords. I went through and found a few more typos and punctuation errors that are now fixed.

Get it now for free while you can, I'm slapping on a price tag come October 12.