Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #166
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Sarge Wacknov is bummed

Hi WT and dreams,

Thanks for the votes for Leslie, Doreen, Amelia and Bethie. I have some ideas for Leslie and Bethie already. Doreen and Amelia are going to take some more thinking, but that's always fun.

Best,
Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #167
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Hi WT and dreams,

Thanks for the votes for Leslie, Doreen, Amelia and Bethie. I have some ideas for Leslie and Bethie already. Doreen and Amelia are going to take some more thinking, but that's always fun.

Best,
Alan
Maybe you could work them into another Ted and Jerry adventure!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #168
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Pablo!

If I might hijack a comment Pablo made about Boomerang in another thread:

...just get it and read it, I think you will not be dissapointed.

Thanks Pablo!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #169
plumboz
Novelist

Bethie and Leslie will encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Maybe you could work them into another Ted and Jerry adventure!
So many good ideas spinning about for the next Ted and Jerry adventure. And it looks like both Bethie and Leslie will be making return visits to the Valley of the Sun. This time we'll have fun with the MidEast and some of Arizona's wackiest politicians.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #170
plumboz
Novelist

Have a great week.

Wandering away from all forums for as long as I can stand it. Too much writing to do! No that one less voice here will bring down the volume by a noticeable amount!

Have a great week, everyone.

Last edited by plumboz; 08-15-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #171
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
So many good ideas spinning about for the next Ted and Jerry adventure. And it looks like both Bethie and Leslie will be making return visits to the Valley of the Sun. This time we'll have fun with the MidEast and some of Arizona's wackiest politicians.

Quote:
Wandering away from all forums for as long as I can stand it. Too much writing to do! No that one less voice here will bring down the volume by a noticeable amount!

Have a great week, everyone.
Write lots and have fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #172
plumboz
Novelist

Reading started it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post

Write lots and have fun.
Thanks, dreams. Actually, I have found that I am making more time for reading. Seems a bit counterproductive, but it's really recharging the batteries. Finished "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" on my nook and now rereading both "How to Grow a Novel" by Sol Stein and the "Great American Short Stories" I got from B&N a while ago. That Stephen Crane fellow sure knew how to turn a phrase.

Thanks to those of you who have picked up Boomerang this past week. I very much hope you enjoy it. I'm working on the next one, but I really want it to be the best thing I've ever written, so it might take a while.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #173
plumboz
Novelist

New Regular Price

Hi,

The regular price on Boomerang will be changing from $0.99 to $2.99 as soon as Amazon and all the other places it is available can respond to the changes I will be putting through tomorrow, Monday, August 23rd.

I held the price at $0.99 for as long as possible, hoping that volume would make up for the really low net proceeds from each sale. But there just isn't much piling up in the ol' account for either Yours Truly or the Mountain View High Marching Band (I ship off half of Boomerang's profits to them).

Just wanted to give the nice folks at Mobileread a heads up about the price change.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #174
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I think that $2.99 is more appropriate. You have to figure, with a non-DRMed book, that there's going to be pass-around circulation, so how much are you actually receiving for a $0.99 book per reader? If you're getting about $0.40/book, that's maybe a dime per reader? A nickel? (I read once that the average pass-around for a paper book is 7 readers. I have no idea what it is for an ebook with no copy protection.)

At three bucks, maybe you'll get $1.50 or so per book sold after various discounts, which is maybe 25 cents, more or less, per reader. Jeez, that's like begging for spare change...people pay that to park on a public street for half an hour. Is that unreasonable? I don't think so.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #175
plumboz
Novelist

These changes seem to take a while

Hi J,

Well, in any case the only place that the price has changed so far is Smashwords. They act immediately on that sort of thing. As of a few minutes ago Amazon and B&N were still at $0.89. I imagine it could take anywhere from a few more hours to several days before $2.99 takes over everywhere.

I didn't know that non-DRM ebooks could be passed around (do you mean copied?). But that's okay with me. If a reader liked it enough to share that can only be good in the long run.

'scuse me now whilst I break down my current WIP and put it to the Sol Stein scene by scene test. It's work but it's fun work.

Alan
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #176
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I think that $2.99 is more appropriate. You have to figure, with a non-DRMed book, that there's going to be pass-around circulation, so how much are you actually receiving for a $0.99 book per reader? If you're getting about $0.40/book, that's maybe a dime per reader? A nickel? (I read once that the average pass-around for a paper book is 7 readers. I have no idea what it is for an ebook with no copy protection.)

At three bucks, maybe you'll get $1.50 or so per book sold after various discounts, which is maybe 25 cents, more or less, per reader. Jeez, that's like begging for spare change...people pay that to park on a public street for half an hour. Is that unreasonable? I don't think so.
I pass around pbooks like crazy and so do my friends. .

It's just much easier to purchase and have ebooks on your own shelf & computer (especially with those ebooks below $3 and doubly so with ebooks at less than $1)

I think you will see some "sharing" of ebooks when the purchase price is above $5. My friends and I don't even bother sharing at that price either. I always have something else to read or even go for a pbook if the ebook price is above $5.

The very low purchase price, puts those ebooks in the "why bother to share? just buy it" category for me.

I really don't think ebook sharing is as much as with pbook sharing at all.

DRM is NOT a deterrent to sharing. I have friends that share them - especially the ones that are priced above $7-10 dollars --- they find it pretty easy to do. They find the process of getting around this way of locking the ebook to one person and device a fun little activity.
Quote:
Hi J,

Well, in any case the only place that the price has changed so far is Smashwords. They act immediately on that sort of thing. As of a few minutes ago Amazon and B&N were still at $0.89. I imagine it could take anywhere from a few more hours to several days before $2.99 takes over everywhere.

I didn't know that non-DRM ebooks could be passed around (do you mean copied?). But that's okay with me. If a reader liked it enough to share that can only be good in the long run.

'scuse me now whilst I break down my current WIP and put it to the Sol Stein scene by scene test. It's work but it's fun work.

Alan
Alan, let me know if and when you would like the title changed. Just leave a message, PM me or another mod, or just report your thread and type in what you would like the title to be.

Last edited by dreams; 08-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #177
plumboz
Novelist

Thanks so much, dreams. I really appreciate that.

And to anyone who has tried to check out Boomerang on Amazon, my apologies. It looks like they are going to hold it hostage (currently unavailable) until the other retailers that Smashwords distributes to get the price changed. I should have known that would happen. So I'm trying to get ahold of them to see what can be done to get Boomerang out of limbo. Meantime, it is still available (as of a few minutes ago) for $0.99 (or less) at B&N, Kobo, Sony and Diesel. I assume it's at Apple, but I have no Apple device with which to check.

Alan

On a more positive note, a very nice review by SameOldStory just popped up on Amazon. Thank you, SOS.

Last edited by plumboz; 08-25-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #178
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I just put in new reviews on Amazon and Smashwords.
"This book was very enjoyably. It was a fast read which is high praise. I will definitely buy his future books."

So when is the next book?

"I read once that the average pass-around for a paper book is 7 readers."

I'm not questioning you, but the source of that statement.

The entertainment industry puts out a lot of stuff like that. Can that statement be verified? No. How many thousands would have to be checked to make a valid statistical sampling?

If I walked into the right doctors offices (my last doctors office had about 20 magazines) I could just as easily say that, world wide, the "pass-around " for magazines is at a epidemical rate. One that would put organized crime to shame. (We have to do SOMETHING to stop the theft! Round up all the doctors!) If I went into student housing at a colage I would probably find a very high rate of copyed movies, music, and games.

"I think that $2.99 is more appropriate."

I have to agree. $2 to $3 is fine for new authors. Most of the books that I buy range from $5 to $10.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #179
plumboz
Novelist

Looks like the Powers That Be Want $0.99 for a bit longer

This is getting a bit ridiculous. The only place that has posted the new price is Smashwords. I understand that it takes a while to get the word out to all distribution points, but in the meantime Amazon is holding my poor little book hostage seemingly because nobody else has gotten the price change memo.

Well, I can't do anything about Amazon, (hey! turns out I can, see my next comment) but I'm pretty sure the mobi files at Smashwords work on Kindles, so here's a short term coupon for Smashwords that brings the price there down to $0.99 through August 31. By that time I hope everyone will be on the same page and the price will be set and I will stop futzing with it and just finish my WIP.

Coupon Code: YP93A

By the way, as I was doing a search for something else in this thread I came across these very nice comments that I just can't help but repost here.

from joobies: I found Boomerang to be highly entertaining. Actually startled myself a few times by laughing out loud... those sisters hit a chord with me. Other characters were interesting and comfortable. Enjoyable read. Thanks.

and from ttluisa: I just got this book yesterday for $1.99 because I didn't realize there is still a 99 cents coupon. I was kinda upset at myself when I found out the extended coupon but after reading a few pages I realized that the original price was actually a great deal already.
THIS BOOK IS EASILY WORTH FIVE TIMES MORE! Great job Alan!

Thanks joobies, ttluisa, and SameOldStory!

Last edited by plumboz; 08-26-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #180
plumboz
Novelist

Back to $0.89 at Amazon (for now)

I finally figured out that the only way to get Boomerang back on the "shelf" at Amazon was to change the price back and wait for all the other retailers to get things adjusted first.

So....if you have a Kindle and haven't snagged Boomerang yet, please check it out while it's still at this soon (I hope) to expire low price.

Boomerang at Amazon

Thanks!

Tags
amazon, barnes and noble, boomerang, comic novel, smashwords