Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #151
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Alan, yes I did buy it at Kobobooks. The formating was basically okay and readable but not without glitches. The right-justification sometimes resulted in enormous spaces between words (like, 12-15 spaces) and sometimes there was no space between paragraphs. Also, I like chapters to start on new pages and they didn't, so sometimes I'd see a numeral at the bottom of the page and the chapter would start after the page turn.

Overall, though, it was basically fine and certainly better formatted than the ebook I bought from Simon and Schuster for $12.99.

It was a fun read, too!

Pricing is a real problem at this stage. I could hardly say that I'm in it for the money, but I don't want to sell my book too cheaply, either. I offered it for 75% off this past weekend and had a few takers, but the difference in sales wasn't huge. I think I need to give it some time at $4.95 to see what happens. Kobobooks discounts it to $3.89 anyway.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #152
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thanks for the feedback, Jan. From what I have heard, the Kindle version works well, and as a nook owner, I can be confident about how my book looks on one of those, but I am still working on whatever I can to make sure it translates well to other readers.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And you're right, the pricing thing can be a pickle. I am going to stick with the $0.99 (or $0.89 at Amazon, B&N and Kobo) as long as I can. My main efforts right now have to be in finishing my current WIP and seeing what can be done with it. In the meantime, I want nothing to keep prospective readers from giving Boomerang a try. 'Cause if they like it, I'm hoping the next book and the next one after that will be attractive to them too. Eventually, I will be in it for the money. And for that I need a lot of readers who trust me to deliver a good story with great characters.

Best,
Alan

Best,
Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #153
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A very nice three star review

It is always wonderful to see those five star reviews. But honestly, how many books really deserve such a thing? I mean there are only so many absolute classic, must read, certain-to-become-a-part-of-the-cultural-dialogue-and-shape-our-vision-of-humanity books to be found. And so as much as I appreciate receiving five star reviews that have nothing but praise for Boomerang, it is also refreshing to see a review like this one from one of MR's own on Goodreads.com.

Jan Strnad
Aug 02, 2010
Jan Strnad rated it: 3 of 5 stars

Read in August, 2010
Boomerang is a tongue-in-cheek "thriller" of sorts, more akin to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World than anything by Tom Clancy, sorta-kinda Carl Hiaasenish with a cast of outcasts and misfits in pursuit of a boomerang containing secret files on J. Edgar Hoover.

Hutcheson has a wry eye that seeks out irony and humor in every situation, and he conveys his observations with professional quality prose. The story ambles sometimes, where it should run, getting mired in detailed descriptions of mundane actions that are amusing but not quite worth the time devoted to them, and the author lapses occasionally (not too often) into a "dear reader" self-awareness that I personally find distracting.

Still, I've paid much more for books I've enjoyed much less! I had a good time with Boomerang and hope that Hutcheson is working on another novel.

Thank you, Jan. I very much appreciate it.

Last edited by plumboz; 08-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #154
plumboz
Novelist

Why Risk an Entire Dollar (well, almost) on Boomerang?

That's a very good question. Let me see if I can provide an answer or two.

1. It has no vampires. Not a one. Not even lurking in the corner or peeking out from behind a distant port-a-potty. I promise.

2. It breaks a few rules regarding how a novel should be structured. For instance, when was the last time you were presented with a choice of who to cheer for? Adventurous readers will enjoy the unpredictable nature of Boomerang.

3. Distinctive, memorable, and yet identifiable characters. Boomerang's readers each have their own favorites, whether it is Bethie, the clothing optional ex-Onion Festival Queen; Doreen Lush the brash, fearless, man-hating Australian woman of a certain age; Oz, the forlorn Airedale woofer; Ted Hogwood, the former NBA power forward turned jazz guitarist who can't seem to keep a day job; or even Leslie, the albino assassin whose luck seems to have taken an extended holiday and left him to fend for himself.

4. Location, location, location. The action stretches from Brisbane, Australia to Martha's Vineyard, to San Francisco to Arizona's Valley of the Sun.

5. Heart. Boomerang aims for the funny bone, no doubt about that, but it also has a tender side. The good guys may be hapless, and sometimes it may even be tough to think of them as good guys, but their hearts are in the right place and it shows.

6. Even readers who give Boomerang just three out of five stars will tell you that they got their money's worth and more.

7. Half of my proceeds are going to the local high school marching band program. So far I think we have enough to repair a spit valve on a slide trombone. Next goal? New mallets for the vibe players.

If I think of more I'll let you know. And if you've already read Boomerang (thank you very much!) and would like to add to the list (or even dispute what is already there!), please feel free!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #155
plumboz
Novelist

Oops, I am now given to understand that vampires are actually a desirable sort of population to have littering up ones novel. And not coincidentally I am happy to announce that not one, but several of the characters in Boomerang (and not just peripheral, no-name characters, but ones very nearly essential to the plot) have recently discovered vampires connections. It took many very careful rereadings of my own manuscript to discover these characters closely affiliated with the popular immortal types but I am confident that the discerning reader will spot them on the first go round. Especially now that I have parenthetically inserted discreet clues such as (Good Lord! He's a Vampire!) at key points.

If you would like a non-vampirical edition, please send me a note and we will make special arrangements. But for now I am sure you will understand that my focus must be on the discerning, blood lusting majority.

Thank you for your support.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #156
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Oops, I am now given to understand that vampires are actually a desirable sort of population to have littering up ones novel. And not coincidentally I am happy to announce that not one, but several of the characters in Boomerang (and not just peripheral, no-name characters, but ones very nearly essential to the plot) have recently discovered vampires connections. It took many very careful rereadings of my own manuscript to discover these characters closely affiliated with the popular immortal types but I am confident that the discerning reader will spot them on the first go round. Especially now that I have parenthetically inserted discreet clues such as (Good Lord! He's a Vampire!) at key points.

If you would like a non-vampirical edition, please send me a note and we will make special arrangements. But for now I am sure you will understand that my focus must be on the discerning, blood lusting majority.

Thank you for your support.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #157
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
How will you feel when Boomerang: The Classic Hutcheson Comedy-Adventure - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! by Seth Grahame-Smith hits the bookstores?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #158
plumboz
Novelist

The Highest Form of Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
How will you feel when Boomerang: The Classic Hutcheson Comedy-Adventure - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! by Seth Grahame-Smith hits the bookstores?

Well now, wouldn't that be something? But I do think that Ted (ex-NBA power forward/current jazz guitarist/reluctant hero in Boomerang) who has very definite ideas about what makes for good literature, just might take issue. Mr. Grahame-Smith just possibly could find himself being sat upon by a very large, very angry fictional character.

Might be fun to watch.

And good lord, thanks for the "Classic Hutcheson Comedy-Adventure" bit.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #159
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Hi Alan,

Just bought your book for my Kindle. Hope to get started on it soon.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #160
plumboz
Novelist

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
Hi Alan,

Just bought your book for my Kindle. Hope to get started on it soon.
Thank you very much, K.C., I appreciate it!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #161
plumboz
Novelist

Micro-Sample

How's this for a teeny, tiny taste of Boomerang?

Prologue

On a bright May morning, in the year 1972, J. Edgar Hoover was found dead, sprawled on the carpet in the handsome two-story colonial brick house on Thirtieth Place N.W., Washington DC. One of the most powerful men ever to hold office, appointed or elected, in the United State of America, or any other country for that matter, was discovered by his gardener, James Crawford.

Now Crawford was not in the habit of walking into the Boss’s private sanctum, but it was well past the time when Mr. Hoover usually started his day and Anne, the housekeeper, although anxious concerning his tardiness to the breakfast table, was not about to check on him herself. It was common knowledge in the Hoover household that while the Boss had a large and remarkably varied wardrobe, it did not include pajamas.

A much more generously sized sample can be found at Smashwords, Amazon or Barnes and Noble
Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #162
plumboz
Novelist

First Four Chapters now up for Sampling

Of course I offer a very large sample of Boomerang on Smashwords, but I know that sometimes SW is a bit on the sluggish side, which can be frustrating. So I now have the prologue and first three chapters up and available at Boomerang's Home on the Web (see link in my signature). A central spot to read a sample, check out some of the reviews, and find all the places one can acquire either an ebook or paperback of Boomerang.

to everyone who has gotten their own copy lately. July was a nice month and so far August is chugging along rather well too. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #163
plumboz
Novelist

Returning Characters?

A question for the lovely folks here who have read Boomerang.

Besides Ted Hogwood and Jerry Kwiatkowski, which, if any, of the characters in Boomerang would you like to see in any follow-up books? At this point I am feverishly working on a completely different stand alone book but when that is done I will be getting back with the adventures begun in Boomerang. Actually, two books are in the beginning stages and it will be a matter of choosing which to finish first. Obviously, a few of the characters died horrible deaths in Boomerang, so they won't be making return appearances, but of the many others, are their candidates for encore appearances?

Leslie, the albino assassin
Doreen Lush, the brash and LOUD Australian woman of a certain age
Amelia Dickey, Doreen's withdrawn sister, with a fondness for her beer
Hank Berringer, somewhat hapless member of Central Intelligence
James Fatherday, Director of Central Intelligence
Bethie, clothing optional ex-Onion Festival Queen
Davis Tracey, owner of Fuud, the restaurant
Mrs. Yee, Ted's landlady in San Francisco
Ransom (Sarge) Wacknov, proprietor of the El Chiquito Motor Lodge
Eugene, clerk at the convenience store in Casa Grande

Thanks!
Alan

Last edited by plumboz; 08-13-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: add Ransom's nickname
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #164
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Doreen and Amelia, definitely, but I'd like to see Amelia turn the tables on Doreen a few times. Leslie, yes! And keep his unlucky streak unbroken! He deserves it! The clothing optional Bethie should get out of jail and stir up more mischief.

And, of course, Ted and Jerry!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #165
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Doreen and Amelia, definitely, but I'd like to see Amelia turn the tables on Doreen a few times. Leslie, yes! And keep his unlucky streak unbroken! He deserves it! The clothing optional Bethie should get out of jail and stir up more mischief.

And, of course, Ted and Jerry!
My exact thoughts! Yes, they definitely need to be in any new story. Cameos by others if they fit the story.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, barnes and noble, boomerang, comic novel, smashwords