Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Matthew Malone
Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Free Book: Everyday Madness - A Mostly True Story

Decided to offer digital editions of my debut novel for free. Here's the explanation I give at the beginning of each of the various editions.

Author’s Note:

This is an electronic edition of my first novel. Although the novel itself is copyrighted and has been assigned an ISBN, I’ve decided to offer the electronic versions for free. You may send this to your friends, print it, pass it around, upload it to torrents, share it at will. All that I ask is that you don’t remove my name from it or edit the contents. There’s no practical way I can enforce that request, so I’m simply asking in good faith.

Why am I offering my novel for free? Well, I’m at a point in my life that I find myself not needing much money. No, I am not rich, nor wealthy. By Western standards I am exceedingly poor. But I have a place to live and food to eat. I could charge for this novel, make a profit, then spend the money on things I don’t really need, but I’d rather just give it away. I am suggesting that, if you enjoy this novel and have a little extra money, you consider donating an amount of your choosing to one of the charitable organizations I support. The organizations are listed on my website, http://matthewmalone.co.cc.

So enjoy the book ( I think it’s pretty funny ) and consider donating.

So that's my reasoning. Right now I have the book available in PDF, ePub, MOBI, HTML, Scribd, and Google Books editions. They're all on my site. http://matthewmalone.co.cc
Matthew Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I failed to find any book descriptions.
Could you help me please?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Click on the orange button at the top left.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Click on the orange button at the top left.
I have done it before. There are links to ebook formats but no info about the book itself.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Found it for you. It was at the Kindle Store, though not at any other site I've noticed.

Quote:
Reilly Reynolds tries to be a good person. Life has given him a series of obstacles - mental illness, self-loathing, a genetic predisposition to drug abuse - but Reilly does his best to work through these problems as he struggles to maintain to the one principle he believes fundamental: "goodness." The novel moves through surrealistic scenes as it follows Reilly's gradual descent into suicidal misery and, eventually, nihilism, as his morals are stripped away and the final traces of his sanity are lost.

Attempting to deal with broken love and a society he is unable to understand, Reilly continually finds himself questioning the purpose of life, and trying to answer the biggest question of all: Is life really worth living?

Reilly's ordeals are bizarre, sometimes shocking, yet alarmingly real. He fights with an amputee at his father's funeral, spends time in a mental institution, takes LSD at a dog fight, and looks on passively as a man commits suicide.

Set in the Deep South and featuring a cast of characters that include a quadriplegic crack addict, a deranged small town mayor, and a sado-masochistic bi-sexual, Everyday Madness forces its readers to confront the darkest aspects of life, yet provides a
lens of satirical, dry humor to make the sometimes off-putting material macabrely appealing to the reader.

Written shortly after the author experienced a nervous breakdown (partly, he claims, due to the experiences portrayed in this novel), Everyday Madness has been dubbed a "Mostly True Story." It straddles the lines between fiction and reality, and leaves the reader asking, "Could this possibly be real?"
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert

Thanks. Not my cup of tea.

I am curious why the author didn't put a blurb on his site?
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Matthew Malone
Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matthew Malone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Oh. Sorry about that. I'm not much at selling myself or marketing my writing. I suppose I should have some kind of summary. The one on Amazon was written by someone else (I just put the novel on there to test out their conversion process, not really to make any money) and I don't really like it. I've never submitted anything to a publisher or agent due to the fact that I don't like having to come up with ways to sell myself. EDIT: Not in a pretentious way, it just doesn't appeal to me.

The novel follows an angsty depressed guy and I intended it to be a satire of people like that, but I've found that most readers take it seriously, so that's up to interpretation. Almost everything in the book actually happened, but the MC is fictional.

Last edited by Matthew Malone; 07-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Matthew Malone is offline   Reply With Quote