Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
costash
costash doesn't littercostash doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Eastern European Fonts for PRS-505?

Hi guys.

Just got my 505 from the States (cause I cannot get it from Romania).

I had to buy this "toy" because my little girl - like all young kids today - doesn't care too much about reading, so I thought that I could interest her using this nice Sony gadget.

So now I have the toy, and I have the problem: I have books in RTF format written using 1252 codepage (used for romanian characters).

I' ve tried converting them using libprs500 or bookdesigner, but somehow I must be missing something, maybe I didn't read enough on this forum... I've even tried the unicode "patch" but I still cannot make the 505 to show romanian characters !

Can anyone please tell me what to do?

Thank You !
costash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Jeeves
Jeeves has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS 505
Hi, costash,
I've done with mine prs 505 and libris500 convertion for Cyrillic characters. No patching, no special fonts, nothing more than the PRS500 already had. The way I do it is when you convert the book to lrf format with libris500, in the section in the libris500 where you can choose Embedded fonts, you MUST choose the font that 'reads' or displays properly your text. Example: In libris500 in the "look and feel" menu there is section "Embedded fonts" "Serif; Sans-serif; Monospace" - when I go there and want to convert Cyrillic text, I choose Tms cyr as a font in all three sections. And that is all. That is how the things are working for me.
Good luck
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
Hi, costash,
I've done with mine prs 505 and libris500 convertion for Cyrillic characters. No patching, no special fonts, nothing more than the PRS500 already had. The way I do it is when you convert the book to lrf format with libris500, in the section in the libris500 where you can choose Embedded fonts, you MUST choose the font that 'reads' or displays properly your text. Example: In libris500 in the "look and feel" menu there is section "Embedded fonts" "Serif; Sans-serif; Monospace" - when I go there and want to convert Cyrillic text, I choose Tms cyr as a font in all three sections. And that is all. That is how the things are working for me.
Good luck
In my experience (on prs500), the pageturn is much slower with embedded fonts. Not that it is a deal-breaker, just want to let other ppl know.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Jeeves
Jeeves has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS 505
Yes, it is, but there is price for everything.
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
costash

Thumbs up Thank you !

Thank you for your answers guys!

I finally made LRF from DOC and I see all the fonts correctly.
But the way to do this was a little bit complicated:
1. Open my DOC or RTF file using AbiWord Word Processor (a free editor from http://www.abisource.com/) and save the file as HTML, and the most important part is that the language in HTM file is "text/html;charset=UTF-8"... also I kept the formatting (bold/italic/underline) and styles (heading 1,2,3) but I only used one type of font.
2. Do some minor cleaning in the HTML - needed because I'm getting an unknown character (a little square) instead of "-".
3. Convert the HTML to LRF using libprs500 and specifying only one embedded font - the serif one - and I used "Arial Narrow".

So now I'm happy! Thank you for these wonderful programs !

Last edited by costash; 03-04-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Incomplete post
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
costash

I forgot !

It's not at all slower using the embedded font! You cannot tell the difference in using a file "home made" file or using a preloaded book, or one downloaded from Sony Store.
At the begining, maybe I've done something wrong, but when I first copied the LRF file to the SD card, when I tried to change the font from S to M and then to L, it seemed that the 505 is blocked, and needs about 2-5 minutes to index the file. After the "indexing" process, everything went normal, no delay.
I could accept that, but I tried again:
After a true shutdown, delete all from card, than I used the eBook Library software to upload the books to the reader, and now everything goes just fine.
Really no difference between original and home-made files!
Maybe it's because I only used embedded font?
I don't care anymore, it runs great!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Soulcatcher
Soulcatcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony prs-505, Kindle DXG, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeves View Post
Hi, costash,
Good luck
Sorry for bumping the old thread, but can you (or someone else) help me with this? I don't want to flash my prs-505 (well, if i have a choice of course) so this method would be ideal for me.

I can't get it to work. First of all, do you have to install this "Tms cyr" font? Because i can't find it in Calibre.

Basically, i have RTF with russian text. Can i somehow convert it into LRF with embedded cyrillic font? What exactly should i do in Calibre to achieve that? No matter what font i use in Calibre, ebook Library cant display it properly (and as far as i understand, if it cant read it properly then neither can prs-505).

Thanks for any help
Soulcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Can't help you with embedding fonts, but I used this non-flashing hack and it works well for me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
costash

For Soulcatcher.

Sorry, I was on vacation.
I didn't do any hack on my 505. And yes, it's slower on turning pages on my "customised" lrf's ... but they look just perfect... for me.
I convert usually DOC files (ms word) into lrf.
The steps are these:
1. I clean the DOC, so that it contains only simple text and headings (1,2,3), images and table of contents.
2. I save the file as "HTML filtered" using utf-8 encoding.
3. I clean the HTML, instruct it to use my custom CSS-file so that it contains no reference to any type of font, only sizes, or bold, or italic ...
4. I feed the HTML file into calibre and i select to embed only one font - at serif.
5. Done. I always check my LRF with Sony's ebook software ( I also load them on the device only from ebook library soft)

Of course there's a catch !
I made a HTM test file(utf-8 enoding), that had all characters I want to find on my ebook, and loaded this file in "calibre". Than i kept on converting this file using one embedded font - each font on my system at once - than check the result in Sony ebook software.
Finally I found 3 fonts that looked perfect for my needs, and those are the fonts I'm using since.

Do some tests, I hope I explained ok.
Good luck!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Soulcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Can't help you with embedding fonts, but I used this non-flashing hack and it works well for me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20644
Yeah, but afair it does something to prs-505. Don't remember what exactly. I mean, i'm not that afraid to do this or flash custom firmware, it's just that i don't have any warranty (i think). I also know that chance to brick it completely is extremely low now since we have an official Sony firmware update.

I mean, if i can do it w/o modifying firmware/internal files, i'll try to do that first
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Soulcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by costash View Post
For Soulcatcher.

Sorry, I was on vacation.
I didn't do any hack on my 505. And yes, it's slower on turning pages on my "customised" lrf's ... but they look just perfect... for me.
I convert usually DOC files (ms word) into lrf.
The steps are these:
1. I clean the DOC, so that it contains only simple text and headings (1,2,3), images and table of contents.
2. I save the file as "HTML filtered" using utf-8 encoding.
3. I clean the HTML, instruct it to use my custom CSS-file so that it contains no reference to any type of font, only sizes, or bold, or italic ...
4. I feed the HTML file into calibre and i select to embed only one font - at serif.
5. Done. I always check my LRF with Sony's ebook software ( I also load them on the device only from ebook library soft)

Of course there's a catch !
I made a HTM test file(utf-8 enoding), that had all characters I want to find on my ebook, and loaded this file in "calibre". Than i kept on converting this file using one embedded font - each font on my system at once - than check the result in Sony ebook software.
Finally I found 3 fonts that looked perfect for my needs, and those are the fonts I'm using since.

Do some tests, I hope I explained ok.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot! Will try it asap
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher View Post
Yeah, but afair it does something to prs-505.
Not really. If you feel like you screwed it up, simply reboot the e-book and you are back to the original settings. That's the beauty of the hack - it does nothing permanent!
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
costash

We should close this thread...
I just applied the PRSCustomiser v0.05a to my 505 Reader, and it works perfect!
Only now I can understand why there were complains about the speed when one uses embedded fonts...
So for anyone looking to use localized fonts the perfect tool is out there. Read the sticky guide and enjoy super fast reading, with your perfect fonts.
A big "THANK YOU" for you guys who work and share with us these nice programs, like calibre, prscustomiser, etc.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
oltean
oltean began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Costash,
Do me a favor and tell me what are the fonts that you use for conversion.
I observe that only new century schoolbook works for me.
oltean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #15
costash

Sal. oltean.
Sorry for the delay ... i was at ski in SK.
You should not care about fonts. I gave up the old method of embedding fonts for a few months now... since I did the "customizing" from http://www.prscustomizer.com/.
When you customize your PRS-505 (detailed instructions on that site) you select the "Unicode font set". And that's it!
I edit my books in MS Word, I then convert them to HTM unicode utf-8 (filtered) and than i use "calibre" to obtain the final "LRF" (which I upload on the reader using Sony's software).
PM me if you have more questions on this matter.