Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Titles displayed incorrectly in reader

I have books with a Series, Series Index and Title in calibre.
I'd like the Series and Index to be included in the title sent to my reading device which is a kindle.

I have a metadata plugboard set up to use:
any format, any device: {series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}
as the title.

This works fine for nearly all my books - but a handful of David Eddings titles are showing only the Title in the kindle.
e.g. "Belgariad 01 - Pawn of Prophecy" just shows up as "Pawn of Prophecy"
When I use Kindle Collections to run a report on books present on the device - all books are correctly reported.
I've tried deleting the books from the device, rebooting the device and then readding them - to no avail.

If I delete and readd two books: one book that does not currently appear correctly and one that does - then both books end up back on the device looking exactly as they did - i.e. the correct one stays correct and the incorrect one is not fixed.

I'm at a loss to understand how this has happened - or how to fix it. From a kindle reset to factory default, all these books were added at the same time so they should have the same behaviour...
Has anyone got any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Just to muddy things further I've found another book that shows up on the kindle as "Untitled", yet when I look in Calibre at the list of books on the device under Device=> Show books in the main memory of the device, I again see the correct title.

So for some reason, the kindle is displaying a different title to what is viewed by calibre -
The title displayed is Untitled - Jack
the only place I can find this info (it's not in calibre) is in the metadata within the mobi where dc:creator = "Jack" and dc:title = "Untitled" - no idea why the kindle is displaying these fields though.

can anyone shed light on this?

THamks

Last edited by anthony.burton4; 02-28-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does this post help?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=4
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

OIC

I've converted the books previously using kindlegen + kindlestrip - this seemed to work fine, so I was puzzled why it failed for just a few.

Reconverted the books I'd previously identified as problematic, using calibre, and that fixed these.

I've now found more "bad" books and so i unpacked one using MobiUnpack - looks like kindestrip didn't strip it as the mobi8 is still present.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

OK - I've tried a different tack,

I've disabled the metadata plugboard. It's going to be too messy if I have to convert books containing mobi8's to epubs and back to mobi7's in calibre just to get the title right on the kindle.

However, it makes no difference to the book that was displaying the wrong title.
Despite deleting and resending it without any metdata plugboards interfering, the title still displays wrong.

So does calibre only work with kindles if the book is converted by calibre and kindlegen conversions are not compatible?
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

OK - I think I've got a solution.

If I convert using kindlegen, then I need to use the kindle-unpack plugin to separate out the kf8 and mobi files, and then import these separately back into calibre. Phew!

Last edited by anthony.burton4; 03-01-2013 at 01:59 AM.