Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
I have an idea... Could be a good one! =P

The next generation of Kindles should have in-built plastic covers. I think it's bad design (well... from the non-financial side of things) if 90% of users need to buy what should be an optional accessory. I know some people don't use covers, but if you're ever going to take the Kindle on a trip, the risk is just too great.

The other electronics I have do not have this issue:
  • ipod - had a case on my 4G, didn't both with the 5G. The screen isn't too bad. Not new looking, but with the backlight you can't really see the scratches
  • laptop - cannot directly damage the screen if you have it closed.
  • cellphone (capacitive touchscreen) - Has a screen cover over it because I don't want the screen scratched, but otherwise unprotected.

I can't imagine just tossing my kindle into my bag with all my other stuff like I can with my ipod and my phone.

A couple of suggestions:

1. The normal clamshell design. Eg. laptops, cellphones. It can probably utilise the current side hinge system, tho the Kindle will probably have to be flat (no curves) for this to work.

2. The type of slid on/off covers used by calculators. When not in use slide it to protect the screen, then slide it on to the back when you are using it. I'm sure they can find a way to design it so that the back/forward buttons aren't affected

fallsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Amazon makes a lot of money selling covers for the Kindle. There's not much profit in the actual Kindle sale, so they make it up with the cover sales. Why would they want to include a cover with the Kindle?

Not everyone likes the stock covers anyway. I never used the little neoprene cover that came with my Sony Reader--I bought a cover from M-Edge.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
fallsauce
fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.fallsauce knows the square root of minus one.

I don't mean a separate cover, but one that was specifically designed for it.

And I think there should be one because the Kindle can't handle being put in a bag without being damaged. I'm trying to think of a device that was designed without a cover AND was designed to be portable that has such a fragile screen. If the screen is open, then it kind of implies that it can handle being used without a cover. Scratched, sure, but the device shouldn't break because of it.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
...the original iPod Nano screen would break when people put it in their pocket. It didn't come with a cover.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
fallsauce

Did it? Apple probably fixed it then. Haven't heard any complaints from my friends who've had nanos and I know they don't cover the screen. Anyway, the point is, the Kindle's on the 3rd generation now and it's still suffering from the same problem.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsauce View Post
I'm trying to think of a device that was designed without a cover AND was designed to be portable that has such a fragile screen.
Most touchscreen phones are easily damaged if you have them in your back pocket when sitting down. You shatter the glass used in the touchscreen and possibly the LCD itself. You generally don't get a case with the phone either.

The screen is also very easily scratched for most touchscreen devices and you also don't normally get any screen protectors included.

Last edited by Tiersten; 12-18-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Jack's Liver
Funk Master General
Jack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3 / CRUZ T103 BRICKED / Sony PRS-300 Gifted to a :) kid / N7
I like it .... always loved putting stuff on the inside of the cover in high school
Jack's Liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
One thing I really love about the Pocketbook 360 is that is does have a hard clamshell type cover which protects the screen. It's a really lovely feature - especially as it clips at the back of the device whilst you're reading.

But I can't imagine Amazon doing this because they want to make money selling the Kindle accessories. When I bought my Kindles, I also factored in the cost of cases as well.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
no. I like being able to choose my very own unique cover
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Didn't the K1 come with a cover and that is a feature that they dropped?

I agree with KindleKitten, I like it better that I get to choose my own cover. Adding an included cover to the Kindle wouldn't be free, they'd simply charge a higher price and it would probably be a very basic and ugly cover that I'd want to upgrade anyway.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree. Including a cover would kill the market for 3rd party covers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Didn't the K1 come with a cover and that is a feature that they dropped?

I agree with KindleKitten, I like it better that I get to choose my own cover. Adding an included cover to the Kindle wouldn't be free, they'd simply charge a higher price and it would probably be a very basic and ugly cover that I'd want to upgrade anyway.
yep, it was not only fugly, but had horrid design issues
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
fallsauce

I'm not really concerned about the aesthetics of the cover. It can be removable if you really want a different cover. (eg. the calculator example)

I'm more concerned about the fact that it's so fragile that people could easily break it in the course of normal usage.

Eg: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=110670&page=3

ETA: I probably should have posted it in the general forum since it's a problem related to eink screens and not the kindle in particular. oh well...
Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsauce View Post
I'm not really concerned about the aesthetics of the cover. <snip>
Oh, man, that is just wrong!!

I understand what you are saying about the need for a cover. The Kindle is too fragile to be transported without a cover. Amazon really should emphasis this point instead of producing ads where the naked device is being tossed in a drawer or stuck in a back pocket.

If a decent cover came stock with the Kindle - not just a cheap vinyl or hard plastic cover - I wonder what it would add to the cost of the eReader. Even if the Kindle did come stock with a case or cover, I would probably just end up replacing it with something I liked better, anyway, because aesthetics (as well as function) are important to me.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
no. I like being able to choose my very own unique cover
Agreed.

A Kindle's cover (referring to the book-cover style) differs from most electronic device covers in that it becomes part of your experience (which is why I think the pricier ones are worth it). You hold it, touch it, and look at it every moment you use the Kindle. The fact that this is a leisure device makes it even more important that the user can select a cover per their tastes and comfort.

I believe the earlier Kindles came with a simple, no frills cover (my mom's Kindle 1 did), and I think that's maybe a good idea to make sure that people who don't care about their cover either way still have basic protection. But then there's the issue of Amazon's profit concern, ha. And actually in this situation I don't blame them; markup on the Kindle isn't that high (48%) and they don't make a profit from most ebook sales.

I've been so unimpressed with the few cases I've tried in my short time with the Kindle that I am about to pull the trigger on an Oberon. Only thing stopping me is I'm waiting to see the new lineup from Octovo.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-20-2010 at 06:03 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote