Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #121
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it is configurable for most windows PCs - google it.

you can have it as an option alongside sleep, restart....

it saved all of RAM to disc so will restart with all your apps in the exact state you left them i.e. with sigil still open...

I don't like it much, as it creates ( in my case) a permanent 6GB file on disc (as I have 6GB RAM) in order to support the hibernate facility. disabling the option frees up the disc space.
There are lots of other issues that cause problems from things that don't recover from hibernation.
Secure network or for most, any connection that requires a interactive 'logon' is probably at the top of the list.
Removable devices being removed (or restored to a different port) during hibernation.
and the real jammer: Hibernation (on all my systems) takes about 3 times (of intense disc usage) the time of a shutdown. Just what you need when a battery is going flat
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #122
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hibernation (on all my systems) takes about 3 times (of intense disc usage) the time of a shutdown. Just what you need when a battery is going flat
I've probably derailed this thread too much already but why can't you just plug the damn thing into a wall socket & walk away?! Sigil will still be there when you get back - unless there's a power outage in the meantime.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #123
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
In the cases where I really need Sigil to save whatever work, in whatever state, I usually comment out the entire file (all parts that are not proof-read and well-formed) and save the ordinary way
OK, that would keep everybody happy! The "ignore but let me save" option could literally do that.

Please do SOMETHING though. "Fix Manually - but later" is not an uncommon need. I've hit it a couple of times already while being otherwise very productive with the latest beta. Love the links facility!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #124
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
If commenting out is all that is required to workaround this can't save and continue issue, then you can do that yourself with a simple Find/Replace (and a group in the beta - one to comment it, one to uncomment), e.g.

Find: <body>
Replace: <!-- <body>

Find: </body>
Replace:</body> -->

Run replace in all html files.

And the reverse is left as an exercise for the reader Its not super robust, but its a start. And it doesn't help if you've mangled something in the header. Maybe a good default example.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #125
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
OK, that would keep everybody happy! The "ignore but let me save" option could literally do that.

Please do SOMETHING though. "Fix Manually - but later" is not an uncommon need. I've hit it a couple of times already while being otherwise very productive with the latest beta. Love the links facility!
In such cases I usually comment out the file(s) content by adding <!-- at the start of every file with errors and --> at the end of every file. It's easy and Sigil gets a valid xhtml file to work with

Edit: meme pushed the "post" button before me

Last edited by Iznogood; 10-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #126
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
So I'm afraid that suggesting you assign your own personal shortcuts is really the only option, without us moving a number of things onto keys that are either awkward or not memorable for the (majority?) of users that do have US/english keyboards? You are able to do that right?
Sure, it's no problem, I am already doing this (and shuffling .ini files between my various computers, so it's not an issue at all).

On a side note: I'm currently following the source and commits while building new versions myself, and the effort you guys put in at the moment is nothing short of amazing. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #127
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
On a side note: I'm currently following the source and commits while building new versions myself, and the effort you guys put in at the moment is nothing short of amazing. Thank you!
Ahhh, you are living on the bleeding edge then . As an "early adopter", feel free to drop me a PM if you spot anything that gives you grief, just in case it isn't already on our internal todo list to fix before the next official release.

I swear the number of times we have told ourselves or user_none that "we are done" that I don't think any of us take that statement seriously any more. It is getting there... but still a number of smaller and one major thing left on the list...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #128
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Would it be possible to have an option in the TOC builder that allows you to keep all the heading levels, but UN-nests them?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #129
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ElMiko - I know meme had some future plans around TOC. I believe they involve a new dialog which you can use for manipulating the NCX file. So you will still have the existing Generate TOC dialog which will work like it does now of a heading tag hierarchy basis. But a second dialog would be a GUI wrapper for managing the NCX file without needing to change the document content, which will help people editing a book that has an existing TOC that is not heading based. That would allow you to reorder, flatten etc without having to edit the XML in the NCX directly. Obviously there are conflicts between the two approaches, a Generate TOC will lose all your customised Manage NCX TOC dialog changes just like it does now. But there is a need most certainly when editing books not created in Sigil.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #130
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
A very non-technical person would like to say thank you very much for all the work you guys have done on Sigil.

I have only been using it to revise nasty files converted from PDFs into epubs, but it all works so much better than the earlier version - and is so much easier to use.

I love the ability to put footnotes in their proper place (which took me ages before), and pictures too.

I've just one very simple question.

The book I'm working on is littered with quotation marks. About half the double quotes, like this - " - appear instead as two single quotes, looking like this - ' ' - (though in that case I have put a space between them, just to show what it actually looks like) but I don't seem to be able to do a search and replace to get rid of the latter and replace with the former.

I'd love to be able to kill them all at one fell swoop, but I don't seem able to do it. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #131
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
A very non-technical person would like to say thank you very much for all the work you guys have done on Sigil.

I have only been using it to revise nasty files converted from PDFs into epubs, but it all works so much better than the earlier version - and is so much easier to use.

I love the ability to put footnotes in their proper place (which took me ages before), and pictures too.

I've just one very simple question.

The book I'm working on is littered with quotation marks. About half the double quotes, like this - " - appear instead as two single quotes, looking like this - ' ' - (though in that case I have put a space between them, just to show what it actually looks like) but I don't seem to be able to do a search and replace to get rid of the latter and replace with the former.

I'd love to be able to kill them all at one fell swoop, but I don't seem able to do it. Is there something I'm missing?
Which search type did you use? regex: escape each of the quote(s): \'\'
are you in code view (you should be for a global replace)?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #132
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
In BookView, try copying the required search text from one instance into clipboard and paste that into search box then do the replace (may be font used displaying as what you think is a single quote, whereas it should be single right/left quote).

Also as 'ducks says, try working in CodeView, they (both single quotes) may look together in BookView but may contain something in between them in CV, such as an invisible/empty link or anchor.
Then things will get slightly harder to sort it out.

Let us know if anything works, or if there is anything in CodeView which will make it more difficult to do a replace, As it just may need a copied sample of that CV text to fine tune a regex to do a global replace.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #133
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
I don't know if this is a bug or not, but in BV, the shortcut for Count All ("Ctrl+A") doesn't work when the search mode is Regex.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #134
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
»Save Search« is great

Hello Guys,

the function »Save Search« I find absolutely amazing and they will make my job - to overwork an eBook - easy.
Thanks a lot.

Greetings
Martina
Old 10-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #135
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
I don't know if this is a bug or not, but in BV, the shortcut for Count All ("Ctrl+A") doesn't work when the search mode is Regex.
Ummm, the shortcut for Count All is Alt+C (Ctrl+A would conflict with built in behaviour of controls to select all the content).

There is an inconsistency in the 905/906 beta when it comes to button/menus/shortcuts enabled around F&R when you are in Book View/Preview View. In that the options on the Search menu (and hence the keyboard shortcuts) are disabled, but you can click on the buttons (which does the "right" thing of switching to Code View so it can do the action),. I have already fixed this for the next release.
Closed Thread