Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
glorya
glorya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is Mobi Reader Needed on a Kindle?

I hope I am telling this correctly so it can be understood: I am wondering if I need to download Mobipocket Reader onto my Kindle before I can download books in mobi format.

I had to get a replacement Kindle 2 for a malfunctioning one, and I saw that MobiReader had been "uninstalled" though I knew it was there on #1. I didn't uninstall it! It had been downloaded on Kindle #1. This might be two separate issues but I don't know for sure; however, the main question is whether MobiReader is needed on my Kindle at all ... (not discounting what happened to the mysteriously disappeared one ). And if you are wondering why would I have had it on #1 Kindle and didn't know its function, well my hubby also uses this machine ... enough said!!!
glorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
No, the Mobipocket Reader software is already installed on the Kindle. In fact I don't think there's a version of Mobipocket Reader that you can download and install on the Kindle itself. What you *can* do is download Mobipocket Reader for your PC so you can view or read books on your computer. I put Mobipocket Reader on my Blackberry and keep one SF book on it for what I refer to as "steal reading". While my colleagues are checking their e-mails, I'm sneaking in a couple of pages of a good book.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
To follow up on Elsi's post. Please do not purchase mobi books from MobiPocket.com (where you get the MobiPocket Reader software). It has a type of DRM that does not work on a Kindle (Secure Mobi is DRMed .mobi). Should you purchase or download .mobi content outside of Amazon (.azw is the Kindle form of .mobi) make sure it is DRM free.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote