Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@davodfor from other posts by Nicolafres it appears that they are again Mac users,so again it looks like the switched drive issue
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:54 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolafred View Post
Did anyone get a fix for this?
I reformatted my kobo, re-added my books....
Getting this error now.

calibre, version 2.80.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1704, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
I get this randomly on my Mac, there is no actual fix for it, where possible I use a Windows Pc with my Kobo. It's pot luck with a Mac.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
OK, I've just downloaded some more books, and am in the throes of logging everything prior to updating the Kobo. Sorry I've not taken anything forward - I've not updated anything recently until the Smashwords promotion this week. Once I've got all the purchases logged and added to Calibre, I'll have another go at producing the error and getting the bug report output (hopefully before the weekend).

Something that occurs to me about the switched drive issue is that I wonder if Mac OS is taking the larger drive to be main and the smaller to be the removeable media. Of course the on-board SD card on the Kobo is only 2GB and the removeable SD card is 8GB.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
MLec
MLec began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Same problem on Koboglo version 4.2.8432

I have the same problem since an automatic sync has updated my KoboGlo to firmware version (4.2.8432).
Before the connexion was OK and I managed my Kobo reader with Calibre.
I use Calibre version 1.45 on windows XP.
My Kobo is correctly seen by XP and I can see the files through the XP explorer.
I get the following message :
calibre, version 1.45.0
ERREUR: Erreur pendant la communication avec l'appareil connecté

file is encrypted or is not a database

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1677, in books
DatabaseError: file is encrypted or is not a database
MLec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need a much newer version of calibre due to a change in the database schema on the Kobo. It's not encrypted but has a different journalling mode in use.

Of course being on XP a newer version of calibre will be an issue
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #21
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, started up Calibre in debug and plugged in the Kobo:

Results: Calibre saw the SD card and thought it was the main memory. It did not see the main memory at all (so apparently I no longer have any SF & Fantasy loaded on the Kobo). The Mac mounted the card and the main memory the wrong way round. However, when I plugged in the Kobo it was complaining about needing to be charged. I will try again tomorrow when it's had a chance to charge overnight. After ejecting the Kobo via the Calibre device menu, I got a Mac error saying the SD_CARD was not ejected correctly. I did not get the Error communicating with device pop-up I previously saw.

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6, Calibre 2.80

Would you like me to try with the card out of the slot?

Spoiler:
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2017-03-09 18:17:19,658: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(152): macmenuhack file_path:/Users/maddye/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
calibre Debug log
calibre 2.80 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-15.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '15.6.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0: Mon Jan 9 23:07:29 PST 2017; root:xnu-3248.60.11.2.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.11
OSX: ('10.11.6', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 0, 4) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 8, 2) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 0) && EpubSplit (2, 2, 0) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Reading List (1, 6, 6)
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 72.0 x 72.0
physicalDpi: 99.0000014868 x 99.0000014868
Starting up...
Started up in 6.25 seconds with 1580 books
2017-03-09 18:19:26.132 Calibre[3616:301297] deliverNotificationWithTitle()
* Notification delivered.
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1636, in update_booklist
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 731, in book_from_path
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/books.py", line 28, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/books.py", line 40, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/book/base.py", line 790, in __nonzero__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/book/base.py", line 152, in __getattribute__
AttributeError: Metadata object has no attribute named: 'author'
SMART_DEV ( 0.02: 0.019) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 1.25: 1.005) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 1.30: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 1.35: 0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 2.40: 1.008) run All IP addresses {'lo0': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'peer': '127.0.0.1'}], 'en1': [{'addr': '192.168.0.68', 'broadcast': '192.168.0.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0'}]}
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Set library information started
DeviceJob: 2 Set library information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Set library information callback returned
Job: 3 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None', prefix='/Volumes/KOBOeReader/'
DEBUG: 0.3 Kobo device: Kobo Touch
DEBUG: 0.3 Version of driver: (2, 3, 3) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.3 Version of firmware: (4, 2, 8432) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.3 Firmware supports cover image tree: True
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - opts.extra_customization= []
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - driver options= Driver:KoboTouch, Options - format_map: [u'kepub', u'epub', u'pdf', u'txt', u'cbz', u'cbr'], use_subdirs: True, read_metadata: True, use_author_sort: False, save_template: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}, extra_customization: [], manage_collections: True, collections_columns: #myshelves, create_collections: True, delete_empty_collections: True, ignore_collections_names: , upload_covers: True, keep_cover_aspect: True, upload_grayscale: False, show_archived_books: False, show_previews: False, show_recommendations: False, update_series: True, update_device_metadata: True, modify_css: False, support_newer_firmware: False, debugging_title: , driver_version: 2.3.3
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= on_connect
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - length bl=0
Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 3.3 KoboTouch:books - length bl after sync=446
DEBUG: 3.3 KoboTouch:books - reading device database
DEBUG: 3.3 Database Version: 131
DEBUG: 3.4 KoboTouch:books - shelf list: [u'Other Fiction', u'Occult', u'Fantasy', u'Drama', u'Folklore', u'Classics', u'Sagas', u'Literature', u'Non-Fiction', u'Urban Fantasy', u'Science Fiction', u'Western', u'Biography', u'Travel', u'Military SF', u'Paranormal Romance', u'Historical', u'Weird Fiction', u'Alternate History', u'RPG Fiction', u'Crime', u'Gothic Romance', u'Humourous', u'Cyberpunk', u'ReadingList', u'DO NOT SEND']
DEBUG: 3.4 KoboTouch:books - query= SELECT Title, Attribution, DateCreated, ContentID, MimeType, ContentType, ImageID, ReadStatus, ___ExpirationStatus, FavouritesIndex, Accessibility, IsDownloaded, Series, SeriesNumber, ___UserID, ExternalId FROM content WHERE BookID IS NULL AND ((Accessibility = -1 AND IsDownloaded in ('true', 1 )) OR (Accessibility IN (1,2,9) and IsDownloaded in ('true', 1)) ) AND (externalId IS NULL OR externalId = '') AND contentId NOT LIKE 'file:///mnt/sd/%'
DEBUG: 4.5 KoboTouch:update_booklist - exception creating book: 'Metadata object has no attribute named: 'author''
DEBUG: 4.5 prefix: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/ lpath: title: Kobo Touch User Guide authors: Rakuten Kobo Inc. mime: application/pdf date: 2015-07-28T17:16:59 ContentType: 6 ImageID: file____Volumes_KOBOeReader_1__kobo_guide_userguid e_pdf
DEBUG: 14.7 KoboTouch:books - automatically managing metadata
DEBUG: 14.7 KoboTouch:books - about to sync_booklists
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 15.8 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - have done sync_booklists
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - end - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - oncard='carda'
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'carda', but do not have one!
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - oncard='cardb'
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'cardb', but do not have one!
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 446
Job: 3 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.38946890831
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
READING LIST: Metadata available: {'main': {u'device_store_uuid': u'95f87d72-6937-4dab-b42f-9b538f4686a7', u'calibre_version': u'2.80.0', u'device_name': u'Kobo Touch', u'date_last_connected': u'2017-03-09T18:19:25.451781+00:00', u'prefix': '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/', u'last_library_uuid': u'4adba335-b4f8-4795-8c93-4d020141bcf0', u'location_code': 'main'}}
READING LIST: Sync Now - force_sync= False
DeviceJob: 3 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 16.8 KOBO:sync_booklists - start
DEBUG: 16.8 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - oncard='main'
DEBUG: 16.8 KoboTouch::is_supported_fwversion - self.fwversion[:2] (4, 2)
DEBUG: 16.8 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG: 16.8 KTCollectionsBookList:get_collections - start - collection_attributes= [u'#myshelves']
DEBUG: 16.8 KTCollectionsBookList:get_collections - collection_attributes= [u'#myshelves']
No details available.
DEBUG: 17.1 KTCollectionsBookList:get_collections - end
DEBUG: 17.1 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Occult' books=6
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Occult'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Classics' books=21
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Classics'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Travel' books=5
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Travel'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Fantasy' books=2
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Fantasy'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Other Fiction' books=108
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Other Fiction'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Humourous' books=14
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Humourous'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Folklore' books=6
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Folklore'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Biography' books=5
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Biography'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Drama' books=6
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Drama'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Literature' books=83
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Literature'
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Western' books=5
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Western'
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Crime' books=121
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Crime'
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collectiQNSView mouseDragged: Internal mouse button tracking invalid (missing Qt::LeftButton)
Disk /Volumes/KOBOeReader/ ejected
ons - category='DO NOT SEND' books=10
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='DO NOT SEND'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Sagas' books=16
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Sagas'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Non-Fiction' books=2
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Non-Fiction'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Historical' books=34
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Historical'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - managing bookshelves and series.
DEBUG: 42.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - about to clear empty bookshelves
DEBUG: 42.6 KoboTouch:delete_empty_bookshelves - start
DEBUG: 43.3 KoboTouch:delete_empty_bookshelves - end
DEBUG: 43.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - Number of series set=18 Number of books=442
DEBUG: 43.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - Finished
DEBUG: 43.6 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 44.6 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 44.6 KOBO:sync_booklists - end
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
READING LIST: Device disconnected

Last edited by maddz; 03-09-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
OK, started up Calibre in debug and plugged in the Kobo:

Results: Calibre saw the SD card and thought it was the main memory. It did not see the main memory at all (so apparently I no longer have any SF & Fantasy loaded on the Kobo). The Mac mounted the card and the main memory the wrong way round. However, when I plugged in the Kobo it was complaining about needing to be charged. I will try again tomorrow when it's had a chance to charge overnight. After ejecting the Kobo via the Calibre device menu, I got a Mac error saying the SD_CARD was not ejected correctly. I did not get the Error communicating with device pop-up I previously saw.

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6, Calibre 2.80

Would you like me to try with the card out of the slot?

Spoiler:
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2017-03-09 18:17:19,658: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(152): macmenuhack file_path:/Users/maddye/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
calibre Debug log
calibre 2.80 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
('Darwin', '15.6.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0: Mon Jan 9 23:07:29 PST 2017; root:xnu-3248.60.11.2.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.11
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 0, 4) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 8, 2) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 0) && EpubSplit (2, 2, 0) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Reading List (1, 6, 6)
Starting up...
Started up in 6.25 seconds with 1580 books
2017-03-09 18:19:26.132 Calibre[3616:301297] deliverNotificationWithTitle()
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1636, in update_booklist
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 731, in book_from_path
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/books.py", line 28, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/books.py", line 40, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/book/base.py", line 790, in __nonzero__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/book/base.py", line 152, in __getattribute__
AttributeError: Metadata object has no attribute named: 'author'
SMART_DEV ( 0.02: 0.019) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 1.25: 1.005) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 1.30: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 1.35: 0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 2.40: 1.008) run All IP addresses {'lo0': [{'addr': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'peer': '127.0.0.1'}], 'en1': [{'addr': '192.168.0.68', 'broadcast': '192.168.0.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0'}]}
DeviceJob: 2 Job: 2 Set library information finished
No details available.
No details available.
Set library information callback returned
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None', prefix='/Volumes/KOBOeReader/'
DEBUG: 0.3 Kobo device: Kobo Touch
DEBUG: 0.3 Version of driver: (2, 3, 3) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.3 Version of firmware: (4, 2, 8432) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.3 Firmware supports cover image tree: True
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - opts.extra_customization= []
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - driver options= Driver:KoboTouch, Options - format_map: [u'kepub', u'epub', u'pdf', u'txt', u'cbz', u'cbr'], use_subdirs: True, read_metadata: True, use_author_sort: False, save_template: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}, extra_customization: [], manage_collections: True, collections_columns: #myshelves, create_collections: True, delete_empty_collections: True, ignore_collections_names: , upload_covers: True, keep_cover_aspect: True, upload_grayscale: False, show_archived_books: False, show_previews: False, show_recommendations: False, update_series: True, update_device_metadata: True, modify_css: False, support_newer_firmware: False, debugging_title: , driver_version: 2.3.3
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= on_connect
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG: 0.3 KoboTouch:books - length bl=0
No details available.
DEBUG: 3.3 KoboTouch:books - length bl after sync=446
DEBUG: 3.3 KoboTouch:books - reading device database
DEBUG: 3.3 Database Version: 131
DEBUG: 3.4 KoboTouch:books - shelf list: [u'Other Fiction', u'Occult', u'Fantasy', u'Drama', u'Folklore', u'Classics', u'Sagas', u'Literature', u'Non-Fiction', u'Urban Fantasy', u'Science Fiction', u'Western', u'Biography', u'Travel', u'Military SF', u'Paranormal Romance', u'Historical', u'Weird Fiction', u'Alternate History', u'RPG Fiction', u'Crime', u'Gothic Romance', u'Humourous', u'Cyberpunk', u'ReadingList', u'DO NOT SEND']
DEBUG: 3.4 KoboTouch:books - query= SELECT Title, Attribution, DateCreated, ContentID, MimeType, ContentType, ImageID, ReadStatus, ___ExpirationStatus, FavouritesIndex, Accessibility, IsDownloaded, Series, SeriesNumber, ___UserID, ExternalId FROM content WHERE BookID IS NULL AND ((Accessibility = -1 AND IsDownloaded in ('true', 1 )) OR (Accessibility IN (1,2,9) and IsDownloaded in ('true', 1)) ) AND (externalId IS NULL OR externalId = '') AND contentId NOT LIKE 'file:///mnt/sd/%'
DEBUG: 4.5 KoboTouch:update_booklist - exception creating book: 'Metadata object has no attribute named: 'author''
DEBUG: 4.5 prefix: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/ lpath: title: Kobo Touch User Guide authors: Rakuten Kobo Inc. mime: application/pdf date: 2015-07-28T17:16:59 ContentType: 6 ImageID: file____Volumes_KOBOeReader_1__kobo_guide_userguid e_pdf
DEBUG: 14.7 KoboTouch:books - automatically managing metadata
DEBUG: 14.7 KoboTouch:books - about to sync_booklists
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 15.8 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - have done sync_booklists
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - end - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - oncard='carda'
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'carda', but do not have one!
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - oncard='cardb'
DEBUG: 15.8 KoboTouch:books - Asked to process 'cardb', but do not have one!
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 446
No details available.
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.38946890831
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
READING LIST: Metadata available: {'main': {u'device_store_uuid': u'95f87d72-6937-4dab-b42f-9b538f4686a7', u'calibre_version': u'2.80.0', u'device_name': u'Kobo Touch', u'date_last_connected': u'2017-03-09T18:19:25.451781+00:00', u'prefix': '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/', u'last_library_uuid': u'4adba335-b4f8-4795-8c93-4d020141bcf0', u'location_code': 'main'}}
READING LIST: Sync Now - force_sync= False
Job: 4 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 16.8 KOBO:sync_booklists - start
DEBUG: 16.8 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - oncard='main'
DEBUG: 16.8 KoboTouch::is_supported_fwversion - self.fwversion[:2] (4, 2)
DEBUG: 16.8 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG: 16.8 KTCollectionsBookList:get_collections - start - collection_attributes= [u'#myshelves']
DEBUG: 16.8 KTCollectionsBookList:get_collections - collection_attributes= [u'#myshelves']
No details available.
DEBUG: 17.1 KTCollectionsBookList:get_collections - end
DEBUG: 17.1 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Occult' books=6
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Occult'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Classics' books=21
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Classics'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Travel' books=5
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Travel'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Fantasy' books=2
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Fantasy'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Other Fiction' books=108
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Other Fiction'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Humourous' books=14
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Humourous'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Folklore' books=6
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Folklore'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Biography' books=5
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Biography'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Drama' books=6
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Drama'
DEBUG: 17.2 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Literature' books=83
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Literature'
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Western' books=5
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Western'
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Crime' books=121
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Crime'
DEBUG: 17.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collectiQNSView mouseDragged: Internal mouse button tracking invalid (missing Qt::LeftButton)
Disk /Volumes/KOBOeReader/ ejected
ons - category='DO NOT SEND' books=10
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='DO NOT SEND'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Sagas' books=16
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Sagas'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Non-Fiction' books=2
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Non-Fiction'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - category='Historical' books=34
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - end for category='Historical'
DEBUG: 17.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - managing bookshelves and series.
DEBUG: 42.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - about to clear empty bookshelves
DEBUG: 42.6 KoboTouch:delete_empty_bookshelves - start
DEBUG: 43.3 KoboTouch:delete_empty_bookshelves - end
DEBUG: 43.3 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - Number of series set=18 Number of books=442
DEBUG: 43.6 KoboTouch:update_device_database_collections - Finished
DEBUG: 43.6 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 44.6 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 44.6 KOBO:sync_booklists - end
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
READING LIST: Device disconnected
According to that log everything was OK. It has found the version file on the device, and it read the database. But, it didn't find the SD card. If it was seeing the SD card as the main memory, it wouldn't find the database at all. But, you seem to be saying only the books on the SD card are showing as on the device. Is that correct?

What are the paths or mount points or whatever that the MAC is using for the main memory and the card?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #23
maddz
Wizard

Yes, that's right, calibre is only registering the books loaded onto the SD card and registers them as loaded in the main memory. The books loaded onto the main memory are not registered as being on the device at all (but are in calibre). When I check in Finder, both the Kobo and the SD card appear as drives, but it looks like the Kobo is actually the SD card and vice versa (judging by the content).

I'll try popping the card and seeing what happens. I'll also check there's no calibre metadata file on the card itself (I suspect there might be) by loading the card in my card reader not in the Kobo. Why do I think I'll be doing another round of factory resets?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What buttons does calibre show for the device? Does it show the two for the main memory and SD card, or just one? And in the device lists, does it have the correct books shown?

In the log, it only shows "/Volumes/KOBOeReader/". In Finder, is this showing the SD card books and directories? If it is the SD card, there will be a directory something like "koboExtraStorage" (I know that's not the correct name but, it's something like that). The main memory will have ".kobo" and "Digital Editions".
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #25
maddz
Wizard

Sorry, I started to reply earlier but it got eaten and I had other things that had to be done as we are away this weekend... I'm afraid it's going to have to wait until I get back on Sunday for full log details.

Basically, when I plugged the Kobo in, I got the error communicating with device message. Calibre had two active buttons; one claiming to be the main memory showing around 6Gb free, the other claiming to be the card showing 288 Mb free (the card is 8Gb, main memory 2Gb). Although all my books were listed in Calibre, none were shown as being on the device or card.

Checking Finder, I see drives for both the Kobo and the card. The Kobo drive has the Kobo firmware and the book directories I had supposedly sent to the card. The card drive does not have any Kobo firmware and has the directories supposedly sent to the main memory. I cannot find any KoboExtraStorage or similar directory on either drive, yet the Kobo sees the content loaded onto the card...

Assuming my sister doesn't come over Monday, I will try again. I will also try without the card installed and see what happens.

I'm wondering whether the Kobo itself is on the way out...

Last edited by maddz; 03-10-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
MLec
MLec began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Smile Problem solved

For my Kobo Glo the problem a firmware version of KOBOGO(4.2.8432) was not compatible with Calibre 1.48 (on Windows XP and Windows 7).

Now on WINDOWS 7 and Calibre version 2. the connection is OK.
MLec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #27
maddz
Wizard

OK, got the communicating with device error again after the deleting the calibre files on the Kobo and SD Card:

calibre, version 2.81.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection

As it happens, it seems the SD card and the Kobo are now mounted the 'right' way round; maybe it's because I powered on the Kobo before connecting?

Re the earlier comment about the extensions, oddly when I check the files onboard they only have the .epub extension, not the double extension .kepub.epub, so I don't understand why I need to add the double extension...

Restarting in debug mode:

Spoiler:
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2017-03-17 16:56:00,292: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(152): macmenuhack file_path:/Users/maddye/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
calibre Debug log
calibre 2.81 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Python 2.7.11
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 1, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 5, 2) && EpubSplit (2, 2, 0) && KoboTouchExtended (2, 8, 2) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && KePub Output (2, 7, 1)
Starting up...
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboUtilites::action.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboUtilites::dialogs.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboUtilites::action.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 6.8 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
DEBUG: 6.8 rebuild_menus - self.supports_ratings=None, self.supports_tiles=None
DEBUG: 6.8 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG: 6.8 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

Driver: KoboTouch'
Started up in 8.64 seconds with 1605 books

2017-03-17 16:56:03.021 Calibre[5893:534466] deliverNotificationWithTitle()
SMART_DEV ( 0.00: 0.004) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 1.16: 0.920) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV ( 1.21: 0.001) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV ( 1.26: 0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
DEBUG: 9.2 KoboUtilities:_on_device_connection_changed - self.plugin_device_connection_changed.__class__: <type 'PyQt5.QtCore.pyqtBoundSignal'>
DEBUG: 9.2 Methods for self.plugin_device_connection_changed: ['__call__', '__class__', '__delattr__', '__doc__', '__format__', '__getattribute__', '__getitem__', '__hash__', '__init__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__', '__repr__', '__setattr__', '__sizeof__', '__str__', '__subclasshook__', 'connect', 'disconnect', 'emit', 'signal']
DEBUG: 9.2 Have a Kobo device connected connected
DEBUG: 9.2 BEGIN Get Device Path
DEBUG: 9.2 Root path of device: /Volumes/SD_CARD/
DEBUG: 9.2 END Get Device Path
DEBUG: 9.2 KoboUtilities:get_device - self.device_path="/Volumes/SD_CARD/"
DEBUG: 9.2 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG: 9.2 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

DeviceJob: 2 Set library information callback returned
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - oncard='None', prefix='/Volumes/SD_CARD/'
DEBUG: 0.0 Kobo::get_firmware_version - didn't get firmware version from file'
DEBUG: 0.0 Kobo device: Kobo Touch
DEBUG: 0.0 Version of driver: (2, 3, 3) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.0 Version of firmware: (0, 0, 0) Has kepubs: True
DEBUG: 0.0 Firmware supports cover image tree: False
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - opts.extra_customization= []
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - driver options= Driver:KoboTouch, Options - format_map: [u'kepub', u'epub', u'pdf', u'txt', u'cbz', u'cbr'], use_subdirs: True, read_metadata: True, use_author_sort: False, save_template: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}, extra_customization: [], manage_collections: True, collections_columns: #myshelves, create_collections: True, delete_empty_collections: True, ignore_collections_names: , upload_covers: True, keep_cover_aspect: True, upload_grayscale: False, show_archived_books: False, show_previews: False, show_recommendations: False, update_series: True, update_device_metadata: True, modify_css: False, support_newer_firmware: False, debugging_title: , driver_version: 2.3.3
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - prefs['manage_device_metadata']= on_connect
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - set_debugging_title to ''
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - length bl=0
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:books - length bl after sync=0
No details available.
No details available.

SMART_DEV ( 2.31: 1.006) run All IP addresses {'en1': [{'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.0.95', 'broadcast': '192.168.0.255'}], 'lo0': [{'peer': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'addr': '127.0.0.1'}]}
DEBUG: 132.5 Have a Kobo device connected connected
DEBUG: 132.5 BEGIN Get Device Path
DEBUG: 132.5 Root path of device: /Volumes/SD_CARD/
DEBUG: 132.5 END Get Device Path
DEBUG: 132.5 KoboUtilities:get_device - self.device_path="/Volumes/SD_CARD/"
DEBUG: 132.5 KoboUtilities:get_device - drive_info: {'A': {u'last_library_uuid': None, u'location_code': 'A', u'date_last_connected': u'2017-03-17T16:56:02.802209+00:00', u'device_store_uuid': u'8c85a4a6-8e53-406f-9745-c02b881ea49d', u'calibre_version': u'2.81.0', u'device_name': u'Kobo Touch', u'prefix': '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/'}, 'main': {u'last_library_uuid': None, u'location_code': 'main', u'date_last_connected': u'2017-03-17T16:56:02.795252+00:00', u'device_store_uuid': u'ba0c1973-c7c2-4425-9b03-f8ce3a92b82e', u'calibre_version': u'2.81.0', u'device_name': u'Kobo Touch', u'prefix': '/Volumes/SD_CARD/'}}
DEBUG: 132.5 migrate_library_config_if_required - start
DEBUG: 132.5 get_library_config - library_config: {u'SchemaVersion': 0.1, u'profiles': {}, u'lastReadColumn': u'', u'currentReadingLocationColumn': u'', u'ratingColumn': u'', u'precentReadColumn': u''}
DEBUG: 132.5 get_plugin_pref - start - store_name='commonOptionsStore', option='individualDeviceOptions'
DEBUG: 132.5 get_prefs - start - store_name='backupOptionsStore'
DEBUG: 132.5 get_prefs - start - store_name='updateOptionsStore'
DEBUG: 132.5 rebuild_menus - self.supports_ratings=False, self.supports_tiles=False
DEBUG: 132.5 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG: 132.5 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - device connected. self.device.fwversion= (0, 0, 0)
DEBUG: 132.5 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

Connected Device: Kobo Touch
Firmware version: 0.0.0
DEBUG: 132.5 rebuild_menus - have device.
JobEBUG: 139.7 KoboUtilities:_on_device_connection_changed - self.plugin_device_connection_changed.__class__: <type 'PyQt5.QtCore.pyqtBoundSignal'>
DEBUG: 139.7 Methods for self.plugin_device_connection_changed: ['__call__', '__class__', '__delattr__', '__doc__', '__format__', '__getattribute__', '__getitem__', '__hash__', '__init__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__', '__repr__', '__setattr__', '__sizeof__', '__str__', '__subclasshook__', 'connect', 'disconnect', 'emit', 'signal']
DEBUG: 139.7 Have a Kobo device connected connected
DEBUG: 139.7 BEGIN Get Device Path
DEBUG: 139.7 Root path of device: /Volumes/SD_CARD/
DEBUG: 139.7 END Get Device Path
DEBUG: 139.7 KoboUtilities:get_device - self.device_path="/Volumes/SD_CARD/"
DEBUG: 139.7 KoboUtilities:get_device - drive_info: {'A': {u'last_library_uuid': None, u'location_code': 'A', u'date_last_connected': u'2017-03-17T16:56:02.802209+00:00', u'device_store_uuid': u'8c85a4a6-8e53-406f-9745-c02b881ea49d', u'calibre_version': u'2.81.0', u'device_name': u'Kobo Touch', u'prefix': '/Volumes/KOBOeReader/'}, 'main': {u'last_library_uuid': None, u'location_code': 'main', u'date_last_connected': u'2017-03-17T16:56:02.795252+00:00', u'device_store_uuid': u'ba0c1973-c7c2-4425-9b03-f8ce3a92b82e', u'calibre_version': u'2.81.0', u'device_name': u'Kobo Touch', u'prefix': '/Volumes/SD_CARD/'}} 4 Get device information started

DEBUG: 139.7 migrate_library_config_if_required - start
DEBUG: 139.7 get_library_config - library_config: {u'SchemaVersion': 0.1, u'profiles': {}, u'lastReadColumn': u'', u'currentReadingLocationColumn': u'', u'ratingColumn': u'', u'precentReadColumn': u''}
DEBUG: 139.7 get_plugin_pref - start - store_name='commonOptionsStore', option='individualDeviceOptions'
DEBUG: 139.7 get_prefs - start - store_name='backupOptionsStore'
DEBUG: 139.7 get_prefs - start - store_name='updateOptionsStore'
DEBUG: 139.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - start: text='None'
DEBUG: 139.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - device connected. self.device.fwversion= (0, 0, 0)
DEBUG: 139.7 KoboUtilities:set_toolbar_button_tooltip - setting to text='Utilities to use with Kobo ereaders

Connected Device: Kobo Touch
Firmware version: 0.0.0
DeviceJob: 4 Get device information done, calling callback
Job:2017-03-17 16:58:13.497 Calibre[5899:535439] deliverNotificationWithTitle()

We're about to go away for the weekend, so any more will have to wait until we're back on Sunday. I haven't really got the time to fiddle around with the side-loading process or factory resets, which is annoying as there's a whole bunch of new books that will go on the Kobo that didn't come via the Big River (and hence won't show on the iPad).

Last edited by maddz; 03-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #28
maddz
Wizard

After a lot of faffing about, and yet another factory reset, I finally got calibre talking to the Kobo.

What I think the issue is that the SD card and the main memory MUST be ejected simultaneously otherwise you get the not ejected correctly error which seems to damage something on the Kobo. So, the workaround is to go to Finder, select both the Kobo and the SD card drives using Cmd, right click and select Eject. Then you can safely disconnect the Kobo.

Fingers crossed, that will prevent further problems (although I'm leaning to a replacement device with a bigger on board memory as it's possible the battery is on the way out anyway).
Old 04-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Why not do the disconnect from within calibre itself??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
After a lot of faffing about, and yet another factory reset, I finally got calibre talking to the Kobo.

What I think the issue is that the SD card and the main memory MUST be ejected simultaneously otherwise you get the not ejected correctly error which seems to damage something on the Kobo. So, the workaround is to go to Finder, select both the Kobo and the SD card drives using Cmd, right click and select Eject. Then you can safely disconnect the Kobo.
I would have thought things would be OK as long as you ejected the actual device. But, not ejecting the card might leave it dirty, which could cause problems. And I didn't think of something like this as Windows doesn't let them be ejected separately. The If you eject one, the other gets ejected, and if you use the system tray object, you can't select the individual drives, only the device.

But, as PeterT suggested, ejecting from within calibre should do both at the same time.