Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #46
lostsoul
Enthusiast
lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: none
Ouchy guess i wasn t hard hitting enough so upping my game lets try it this way guys.

Doc Ohh -

" If a .txt is the basic file for words .csv file is the basic file used by spreedsheets to list data. Yes .txt and .csv are both just that simple."

If csv is soo bloody easy how come it never opens correctly in libre cal and since it doesn t why are you so bloody hung up on it ?

The Ducks- " No wonder you are having problems CVS is the regional Pharmacy Chain "
not funny at all. " don't know how long you have been using computers " you are so clueless i so agree but since you asking been using computers now for 25 yrs; first win 95 then 98 then vista and now win 7 ; keep hearing win 8 is MS at it worse and heard that win 9 comes out later this year; yukk should be bloody awful windows 9 .

Holleydl - why is this junk here ? ? ouchy two times ! !

Dear Peter (& all helpers),
I've been trying to develop an Excel datasheet of my books in a simple list like this for about a year. I've followed all the other members questions, and the answers provided by all of the kind and patient helpers.
Seriously, God bless you for stating this in terms that even I could follow, and make it happen. I now have a simple list of 8,001 books that I can sort by author (first) name or title, that I can open on my computer or Kindle Fire!!! And, by knowing this simple method, I will just delete each list and replace it with each new addition to my library.
You rock friend... Thank you so very much.
Dan H "

BetterRed-

@lostcause - the csv file is in fact a text file, so open it in notepad, replace all the commas with four spaces and print it (probably best to use landscape orientation) - it won't be very pretty - but you will have 300 lines at say 30 lines a page so it should be about 10 pages."

Its lostsoul wise guy and guess you haven t went back for enough you just jump in and then fall over cluesless throwing things into the wind aimlessly but the cvs format does not open in libre cal or notepad and printing in txt would be ideal but haven t figured out yet how to get a txt page count so i can compare to other formats .

Peter T-

" E-Book formats such as ePubs or azw3 are simply not designed to print. We keep saying to use CSV as it IS a very easy to manipulate and print format "

The e pub format once i read the great link that Doc Ohh gave me; before that got nooo help at all; has e pub format openning in a snap .

Think i covered it all harder and upped the play - later . .
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@lostcause

If your csv isn't opening in LibreOffice you are doing something wrong. Again, here, Let Me Google That For You

Did you follow this link? Did you follow the directions in the first result?
Until you do, there is no help we can give you to open the .csv (because this IS the help). Refuse to listen all you want, but just keep in mind you aren't actually trying to find out how to open .csv so why are you complaining?

Sometimes double posts happen, don't get hung up on it. But notice that @holleydl seems to have gotten these instructions working.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #48
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Lostsoul, you have been given correct and useful advice by multiple users, it has just taken me two minutes to create a csv. file of my books and open it in open office.

In CSV/XML options make sure you select the fields you want to include
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have over 40 years of computer experience Starting with DOS 2.0 on the original IBM PC (not XT)

Your 'I Know Better" attitude is what is causing your problems.
5 places you typed CVS. How competent is that.

You can't even find the CSV output file.

Like alanHd, it took me longer to Launch Libre Office than run the CSV import.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #50
lostsoul
Enthusiast
lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lostsoul 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

eschwatz - " @lostcause " not funny wise guy so knock it off and know haven t tryed it for the hum 5th or 6th time because i deleted the file and no hurry to create another csv file just to to fail a 7th time will let you know as soon as i fail again.

AlanHD - And know haven t tryed it for the hum 5th or 6th time because i deleted the file and no hurry to create another csv file just to to fail a 7th time will let you know as soon as i fail again guessing the more times i do it again the more likely it is i will luck in and get it rght ? ? later

Last edited by lostsoul; 02-23-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: errors
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #51
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Lostsoul why don't you post your CSV file so it can be checked to eliminate one variable, at least you would know at what stage you are having problems.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Lostsoul why don't you post your CSV file so it can be checked to eliminate one variable, at least you would know at what stage you are having problems.
@lostcause has already said he deleted it because he couldn't figure out how to use it, and isn't interested in knowing why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
eschwatz - " @lostcause " not funny wise guy so knock it off and know haven t tryed it for the hum 5th or 6th time because i deleted the file and no hurry to create another csv file just to to fail a 7th time will let you know as soon as i fail again.

AlanHD - And know haven t tryed it for the hum 5th or 6th time because i deleted the file and no hurry to create another csv file just to to fail a 7th time will let you know as soon as i fail again guessing the more times i do it again the more likely it is i will luck in and get it rght ? ? later
bold+underline is mine.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #53
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
CVS is the regional Pharmacy Chain
And here I was thinking CVS referred to the Concurrent Versioning System - I suspect you're trying to subvert the course of human history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't know how long you have been using computers, but many of the folk that have been answering here started with paper tape and punched cards.
Don't forget the slide rule, and electro-mechanical calculators, my masters supervisor had a wonderful gadget, a helical slide rule - incredibly accurate.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-25-2014 at 07:58 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #54
lostsoul
Enthusiast

Ok you guys aren t listening as usual but like me try this; raise the game to being pushy and slamming; firtst stop helping the other guy wish i knew how to give him the boot in his tushie.

I don t; repeat i don 't repeat i don t have that that csv file anymore since it never worked for me the 6 x i tryed it why keep it; amazing how thats never been answer as to why keep a failed csv line; i wonder what that means that you never answered hum ???

But will creat a new csv file then post it it and hopefully it will drive you folks crazy - later.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #55
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don t; repeat i don 't repeat i don t have that that csv file anymore since it never worked for me the 6 x i tryed it why keep it;
It takes a minute to create the csv file and the reason it didn't work for you was because you didn't take two minutes to google how to open the file (see posts above to google links).

Quote:
amazing how thats never been answer as to why keep a failed csv line; i wonder what that means that you never answered hum ???
Asked and answered multiple times. The csv file works great, only your inability to open it failed. We even linked to the information in Google that explained how to import the csv file.

Honestly why are you here? If you are unwilling to help yourself, then we can't help you.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-25-2014 at 11:56 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #56
lostsoul
Enthusiast

Hum where to start will try this -

DocOhh - You've proved my point that you never helped me by claiming you've added me to your blocked list guessing your blocked list since you give up so easy helping others and failing . .

Reguardless of Doctors Ohh s never ending failures will post another csv file here and let it screw up others hopefully they can help where Doctor Ohh has failed big time and ops should add have no idea how to do step four in Ohh's libre link he posted - will post soon -later . . .
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 AM   #57
lostsoul
Enthusiast

Ha ha ha laughing my tushie off just tryed to upload a csv file to here and getting this so what do i do now any ideas out their ?

" 300 books - csv 2014.csv:
Invalid File "
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #58
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Getting back to the OP for a moment, maybe getting a printout listing all books in Calibre isn't such a bad idea.

It seems like something that might be used by a large number of Calibre users. Mebbe it's something that should be coded right into a button you click on - you shouldn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to produce something that's used frequently.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #59
lostsoul
Enthusiast

Ha ha yess it would be used alot hanging here waiting on better brains i guess ; why
aren t i shocked at calibre creating invalid csv files that libre can t touch in any form; so far only e pub works but their must be other ways.

Thinking about how to create a list in text that should be using the fewest pages - later .
Old 02-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #60
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Getting back to the OP for a moment, maybe getting a printout listing all books in Calibre isn't such a bad idea.

It seems like something that might be used by a large number of Calibre users. Mebbe it's something that should be coded right into a button you click on - you shouldn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to produce something that's used frequently.
Calibre does not have a full spreadsheet with all the formatting of column features that users would holler for.
Open/Libre Office and excel are in common use so why bloat calibre for the .0001% that can't figure how to use a spreadsheet with a CSV file with one of those.
CSV has been an available input for:
Supercalc
Multiplan
Quatro (pro)
Excel
Star Office (and derivatives)
those are the spreadsheet I remember. There were more.

Then there were all the Database programs that contained report generators .

Since most of us have a portable reading device, making the E-book version of the catalog seems to be more logical (and lighter) than a stack of paper.
my 2cents
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote