Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
A 2nd reader for epub: Sony PRS 300 or Cybook Opus?

I'm starting to pick up more epub titles (which yes, I can and do convert for my K1) but between those and the library, I'm considering picking up a 2nd reader. I've seen a nook at Best Buy and the touchscreen navigation just does not do it for me though the e-ink display itself was very good. I'm considering at the moment either a Sony PRS-300 or a Cybook Opus. Anyone have any feedback one way or the other on these two?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I'm starting to pick up more epub titles (which yes, I can and do convert for my K1) but between those and the library, I'm considering picking up a 2nd reader. I've seen a nook at Best Buy and the touchscreen navigation just does not do it for me though the e-ink display itself was very good. I'm considering at the moment either a Sony PRS-300 or a Cybook Opus. Anyone have any feedback one way or the other on these two?
The Sony is on sale at Best Buy for $128. It has two major disadvantages. The first is the 5" screen (too small for me, but others have no problem with it). The second, it only has 512 mb of internal storage and no expansion slot for sd cards.

However, as a secondary reader, it is fairly cheap (now, but not worth $150) and definitely portable. You might want to look at the Kobo also.

I don't know much about the Cybook Opus.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As an Adobe ePub device, the Bookeen is significantly more advanced than the Sony - which is using a two year old version of mobile Adobe Digital Editions. The only downside to the Opus is its price, but I see that Newegg is selling it for $99.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As an Adobe ePub device, the Bookeen is significantly more advanced than the Sony - which is using a two year old version of mobile Adobe Digital Editions. The only downside to the Opus is its price, but I see that Newegg is selling it for $99.
Which is kind of exactly why I am asking...saw that price and am really, really tempted to go for the Opus.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Which is kind of exactly why I am asking...saw that price and am really, really tempted to go for the Opus.
I agree with Wallcraft; for reading ePub the Opus is the better of the two. For $99,=, I'd say go for it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru

Well, done.

Qty Product Description Price
1 Bookeen Cybook Opus E-Book Reader, White
Item #: N82E16858724001

Subtotal $99.99
Tax $0.00
UPS 3 Days $4.99
Order Total $104.98
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good choice. The Opus is a much better device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru

Thanks. I probably never would have gone for the Opus at the normal US price of $199, but for half the price it was almost a no-brainer.