Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #61
Dutchman1
Dutchman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Dreadful. Are you kidding? I have read books on a PRS500, PRS505, Iphone, BB Bold, PRS600, Kindle 2, KDX, computer screens and, although I still have a warm space in my heart for my 505, the KDX is by far the most satisfying experience. I appreciate that we all have different tastes and that in a crunch any devide can do for a read but how can you possibly suggest that the dinky little Blackberry screen is more satisfying. Good luck in finding the right devidice for you.
Sorry think we have a misunderstanding here. I refer specifically to the web browsing experience - would never read on a BB. I use internet for quick info not long reads and wasn't impressed with web experience on Kindle.
Dutchman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #62
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman1 View Post
Sorry think we have a misunderstanding here. I refer specifically to the web browsing experience - would never read on a BB. I use internet for quick info not long reads and wasn't impressed with web experience on Kindle.
If you are judging an ereader by a single feature which it was never designed for, then your evaluation system needs to be re-evaluated! Web browsing has always been an extra, experimental function on K2s and KDXes. These devices were not made to surf the web, they were made to read text. They are "purposed" devices, unlike a smartphone or an iPad which seem to attempt some sort of Swiss-Army-Knife, jack-of-all trades approach which results in a lot of functions but none that are done that well. The Kindles, Sony Readers, etc. were designed to do one thing as well as the current technology allows, and that is read text. And to some degree they all do that rather well, though some are better than others for specific reading tasks.

The fact remains that the new Pearl e-Ink screen used by the K DXG is hands down the best e-Ink screen many (if not most) of us have ever seen and read on. Is it worth the high price tag to upgrade from a PRS-505, K2, K DX1, etc. to the K DXG? That is something each individual will have to justify with their bank account and possibly significant other. Is it worth the high price tag as a first reader? Same answer. For me it was definitely worth the upgrade as my middleaged eyes need all the help they can get.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-22-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Advert