Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #31
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Anarel, I agree it's better but the question is: is it significantly better than the white DX to want you to ditch it for the graphite DX? And is there not something else on the market that is significantly better? And what if in a few months' time, Amazon releases a DX with Wifi and SD slots? It looks like Amazon likes to squeeze out as much revenue as they can by slowly enticing customers with strategically planned modifications to their eReaders.
I would say that it is significantly better than the white DX. It's not just a "little" darker font, and lighter background. It's a LOT. I am completely satisfied, and this is coming from someone who sent back four Kindles because of bad screens.

Unless they come out with a color screen, which certainly won't happen in a few months (maybe by the end of the year?) I won't be feeling remorse at all. I don't need wifi or an sd card slot.

And so far as I can see, there is no other e-ink device on the market with this new screen, so another device with the previous generation's screen. won't be better

This isn't a direct comparison, but my old DX had the same contrast as the K2 that I still have, and I am finding it very difficult to be satisfied with the K2 now after seeing the GKDX screen.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You are really making me want to upgrade. I'm still using the original K1 bought at launch. It's still holding up but it's a bit pokey. I'd been thinking to wait until a good color option came around but this is weakening my resolve, especially with the price drop.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #33
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
PaulGuy
How long does it take to flip through several pages in a pdf file?
Any improvement compared to the old Kindle DX?
I'll have to check that for you. Haven't put my PDF's back on yet.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #34
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Anarel, I'm not disputing the improvement in contrast. But from what I'm picking up reviews are mixed.

A question: does the darkness of the font and the lightness of the background translate into a marked improvement in viewing PDFs?
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #35
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Anarel, I'm not disputing the improvement in contrast. But from what I'm picking up reviews are mixed.

A question: does the darkness of the font and the lightness of the background translate into a marked improvement in viewing PDFs?
I haven't put any PDF's on yet, I'll have to try it.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #36
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
is it significantly better than the white DX to want you to ditch it for the graphite DX?
I already have a white DX and I just got the new one this morning. The contrast is so much better that I have no regrets about getting it. It's noticeably more responsive, and the side buttons have a nicer, more solid feel as well.

My old DX is on ebay and will still fetch the better part of what I spent on the new one, so in the end it won't end up costing me too much for the upgrade.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #37
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I'm actually a little disappointed. There's no question that the text is much darker and sharper, but the background looks the same. My white DX has a DecalGirl carbon (black/grey) skin, so that eliminates any disparity based on the color of the case. I have the 2 units side by side, and I can't see any difference in the background. No question though, the difference in the text is striking.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #38
netseraph
netseraph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Are we sure the striking text is because of the new screen or the new firmware (maybe new font)?
netseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #39
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseraph View Post
Are we sure the striking text is because of the new screen or the new firmware (maybe new font)?
No, the new higher contrast, more advanced screen (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...84&newsLang=en) has nothing to do with the test contrast...
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #40
netseraph
netseraph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Why did Amazon decide to use Graphite for this generation? I could see white is a more popular color. Did they choose black to enhance the contrast? If so, why do they need to enhance it if it's 50% better?

I installed custom fonts in my Kindle and I did see noticeable sharpness improvement after that. I recalled a post in this forum stated Graphite came with 2.5.5. That make me wondering...
netseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I have the 2 units side by side, and I can't see any difference in the background. No question though, the difference in the text is striking.
I'm looking forward to comparing them when I get home tonight. The new one sure seems a much lighter shade of gray to me, but we'll see...
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #42
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Just got the graphite DX in today, as well. For comparison, my wife has a Kindle 2 US, and I have a Kindle 2 global. First impressions weren't astounding. I guess I should have known that graphite just meant "grey plastic," but it's really apparent when you pick it up that the front is just a plastic grey. In my head I was envisioning the Sony Reader PRS-500. Perhaps foolhardy.

In any case, yes, the text is VERY dark. I could tell on the very first load of the device where it shows the Amazon logo and a dark patch of black at the bottom that this device is much improved from yesterday's Kindles.

That said, I still don't want one. I picked it up for a friend in the UK (visiting next week). It's far too big to be a book for casual-reading-a-novel purposes, at least in my opinion. Of course, that's very subjective.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #43
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
You know you can flip it over and use it with the buttons on the other side, right?
yes, I know that they rotate, but how responsive is the script to the rotation? do you have to wait long? there seems to be an awful lot of real estate that has been left unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
You are really making me want to upgrade. I'm still using the original K1 bought at launch. It's still holding up but it's a bit pokey. I'd been thinking to wait until a good color option came around but this is weakening my resolve, especially with the price drop.
I just started reading on the K2 after almost 2 years on the K1. that in itself is a HUGE difference! especially with the pokiness and the battery life
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #44
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
If we're talking about a thicker, fuller, darker font, surely that is dependent also on the font used. I mean, isn't it an obvious truth that some fonts are thicker, darker, and fuller than others? i.e. Arial is fuller than Times Roman.

Don't get me wrong, guys, I'm all for an improved eReader but I don't want to be swept up in the post-release euphoria of the GDX. Let's give it a week or so and see what people really think. Until now, I'm getting mixed reviews.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #45
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
If we're talking about a thicker, fuller, darker font, surely that is dependent also on the font used. I mean, isn't it an obvious truth that some fonts are thicker, darker, and fuller than others? i.e. Arial is fuller than Times Roman.

Don't get me wrong, guys, I'm all for an improved eReader but I don't want to be swept up in the post-release euphoria of the GDX. Let's give it a week or so and see what people really think. Until now, I'm getting mixed reviews.
Could some of this just be individual variations in the screens? I.e., it's the luck of the draw how white your screen is. Could that be possible?

What makes me say this is one of your previous posts, wherein you say your Sony 505 is "by far the best screen I've seen on an eReader." I just returned a Kindle 2 U.S. refurb, but before I did, in a side-by-side outdoors test, my eyes saw no difference in the background colors on the two units. It just looked like the Kindle used a less clear font. Maybe my 505 screen is from a different manufacturer, or different manufacturing run than yours? Or maybe there can be noticeable variability within runs?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote