Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #16
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Anarel, I also own a PRS-505. It's by far the best screen I've seen on an eReader. From what I can understand, the DXG screen (whatever they call it) doesn't rival the PRS-505. Call me cynical, but I think talk of new technology is marketspeak.

IF you're buying new, I guess it makes sense.

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 07-08-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
well, the price difference between the new and old dx is only $20

with the better contrast and no apparent "loss" from the old one, i'd say $20 is money well spent
The contrast is a great deal better, you might want to see it in person.

@ everyone else

Ugh, tried taking pictures but it's just not working.

You just have to see it in person to see the (great) difference.

So, it looks like everyone has to come to my house! ^_^ Road trip? First ten people get a free kitten while they compare!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
iAmBeer
iAmBeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
while people start getting their new kindle DX Graphite
I still cannot decide should I get it or not.... -__-"
iAmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmBeer View Post
while people start getting their new kindle DX Graphite
I still cannot decide should I get it or not.... -__-"
Get it! Try it out, you have 30 days and if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #20
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Mine will be here tomorrow. If I like it, my K2 is on eBay.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #21
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
See Len Edgerly's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbk5SM3tHRE
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
damn! I had forgotten that they left any buttons off of the left side!!!! no sale here!
You know you can flip it over and use it with the buttons on the other side, right?
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #23
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
You know you can flip it over and use it with the buttons on the other side, right?
but that involves work!!! //cries.... i'm lazy

though i played around with my friend's (older)dx... the keyboard and weight-balance isn't as good as the K2's for typing
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
I got the GDX today and in an apples to apples comparison to my old DX the difference is really obvious. The background is much lighter and the text much darker and also seems sharper. What really caught my attention is that the difference almost seems even greater in low light conditions. I've been reading in my increasingly darkening living room at a light level which I never would have been able to before. The old DX would have required my reading lamp by this time, the GDX is still easy to read. I'm extremely pleased and can't wait for the K3 with this screen. Now we're talking.

Oh, and someone mentioned a Sony PRS-505. I have one as well, and I'm here to tell you in side by side comparisons the GDX blows it out of the water. The lightness of the background on the PRS and the GDX are pretty darn close I'd say almost identical. But the text on the GDX is much darker and sharper. And I happen to agree with the previous poster, I've always considered the 505 to be the standard by which all the others where measured against, and always wished my Kindles could be as good. Well This one's better. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with this thing. And I'll be buying a K3 to replace my K2 as soon as it is announced based on what I'm seeing here.

Who-Hoo!!

Last edited by PaulGuy; 07-07-2010 at 09:57 PM.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hmm, if Astak or Pocketbook, or whatever, does not release, or at least announce, a 9.7" device in the very near future, I may just have to go with this. The price is right and PDF support is sufficient for my needs. After close to 2 years of watching and waiting to buy a reader it is time to finally take the plunge.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Anarel, I also a PRS-505. It's by far the best screen I've seen on an eReader. From what I can understand, the DXG screen (wherever they call it) doesn't rival the PRS-505. Call me cynical, but I think talk of new technology is marketspeak.

IF you're buying new, I guess it makes sense.
@ Sheikspeare,

The DXG screen SHOULD be better than the PRS-505, because the contrast ratio is 10:1.... I believe the earlier Vizplex screen had up to a 6:1 contrast ratio.....

It's a new technology, it's not like I'm taking this info solely from Amazon.

http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/High_Res_Pearl.html
Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #27
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
One question: do we know if the Graphite DX has a plastic screen or not?
There is no way I am buying a glass 9.7" reader - not with my, already, gadget-obsessed 3-year-old son on the rampage.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #28
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
One question: do we know if the Graphite DX has a plastic screen or not?
There is no way I am buying a glass 9.7" reader - not with my, already, gadget-obsessed 3-year-old son on the rampage.
It is the same weight as the original DX which leads me to believe it is also a glass screen.

Buy the GDX, lock up the kid.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #29
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
PaulGuy
How long does it take to flip through several pages in a pdf file?
Any improvement compared to the old Kindle DX?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #30
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Anarel, I agree it's better but the question is: is it significantly better than the white DX to want you to ditch it for the graphite DX? And is there not something else on the market that is significantly better? And what if in a few months' time, Amazon releases a DX with Wifi and SD slots? It looks like Amazon likes to squeeze out as much revenue as they can by slowly enticing customers with strategically planned modifications to their eReaders.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote