Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-14-2023, 06:35 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've used ISO format for years.

Unfortunately, recently I've started misreading "2020-08-12" for December 8 rather than August 12. Hence why I'm using a format with a bit less ambiguity.

This is intended for display only in the book details (not tag browser or book list) so sorting is less of an issue, as long as they appear in chronological order in the list.
The ISO format is the least ambiguous. No-one anywhere uses yyyy dd mm. If it starts with year it's always yyyy mm dd
See also
$ and cents
Hours, minutes, seconds
Degrees, minutes, seconds
Tons, Hundredweight, stones, pounds and ounces
Miles, yards, feet, inches.
Old UK Pounds Shillings and Pence.

And it was 6 years, 3 months and 2 days ago that the car was stolen (example).

Years ago I thought three letters for the month was the solution, 6 Jun 1992, but then I discovered other languages. Also neither Jun 6 1992 or 6 Jun 1992 easily sorts.

ISO picked yyyymmdd because everything works like that. Even most Right to Left Language seem to most->least (well they were using numbers before the Romans and the Greeks swapped from R>L to L>R about 750 BC!)

Weirdly for ages people used to say four and twenty, but that changed to twenty-four.

The Romans didn't do arithmetic with their mad numbers. They used a decimal abacus.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-14-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:16 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Carat, or a circumflex when it's ô û â etc

Glad you sorted

However, the USA data format is the worst. ISO yyyy mm dd (with leading zeroes, use no spacing or -, but never : or /) is best, no ambiguity in different countries, or needing english (Three letter mmm is bad), and it sorts easily.
UK/EU date format is the worst. MM/DD/YYYY is better. I agree that YYYY-MM-DD is the best.

US date format is closest to what you get with a calendar. A calendar is MM-YYYY-DD and US is MM-DD-YYYY.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2023, 05:38 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
US date format is closest to what you get with a calendar. A calendar is MM-YYYY-DD and US is MM-DD-YYYY.
A Calendar is YYYY (big on front cover), then Month (or vice versa) and boxes for the days. But they vary by country. Different holidays and languages.
Some start week on Sunday and some on Monday. I think a calendar is irrelevant to writing dates. Not sure how calendar is MM-YYYY-DD and US is MM-DD-YYYY is "close".

AFIAK only the US is MM DD YYYY, the rest of the world is either dd mm yyyy or ISO format or both.

Everyone likes best what they are familiar with. The UK uses lots of stuff not used in the EU or non-EU Europe.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
UK/EU date format is the worst. MM/DD/YYYY is better. I agree that YYYY-MM-DD is the best.

What's this so-called the "UK/EU format" you refer to, to my knowledge it doesn't exist. Every country does its own thing, and within many countries it varies… including your own. See ==>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_f...ntry#Usage_map

A few newspaper datelines:

The Times — Monday August 14 2023, 2.00pm BST
The Guardian — Mon 14 Aug 2023 23.00 BST
The Telegraph — 14 August 2023 • 9:28pm
Gazzetta di Mantova — 14 Agosto 2023 (worlds oldest)
Le Monde — August 13, 2023, at 6:01 pm
FAZ — am 14.08.2023-20:51 (weird)

The only way to write a date unambiguously is to write the year in full, and write the month as an alpha character string, and the order is irrelevant.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What's this so-called the "UK/EU format" you refer to, to my knowledge it doesn't exist. Every country does its own thing, and within many countries it varies… including your own.
All absolutely true.

Quote:
The only way to write a date unambiguously is to write the year in full, and write the month as an alpha character string, and the order is irrelevant.
An alpha character string in which language and how long?
That's why we have the ISO format.

Do all credit cards have the stupid mm/yy format?
Advert
Old 08-15-2023, 05:07 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A Calendar is YYYY (big on front cover), then Month (or vice versa) and boxes for the days. But they vary by country. Different holidays and languages.
Some start week on Sunday and some on Monday. I think a calendar is irrelevant to writing dates. Not sure how calendar is MM-YYYY-DD and US is MM-DD-YYYY is "close".

AFIAK only the US is MM DD YYYY, the rest of the world is either dd mm yyyy or ISO format or both.

Everyone likes best what they are familiar with. The UK uses lots of stuff not used in the EU or non-EU Europe.
A calendar is Month Year and then all the days. A week starts on Sunday.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-15-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:11 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
All absolutely true.

They do in the UK and US. Those are the only ones I know for sure.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:20 PM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
They do in the UK and US. Those are the only ones I know for sure.
Also Ireland.
I can't remember or didn't pay attention in other countries I've visited or lived in.
I suspect Mastercard and Access cards are the same everywhere on date format.
Some issuers have dropped embossing. Maybe last saw a mechanical card swipe in the book-keepers office in a company I left 2004. They should have kept that system for the day the "Cloud" bursts. Physical copies.
Similarly abolishing actual cash is an ultimately dystopian idea given how humans run things.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
How many newspapers use ISO date in their dateline. The only ones I'm familiar with are Chinese language publications; e.g the Peoples Daily (e.g. 2023年08月16日00:37), the English language edition (Xinhua) uses Month (in full), Day, Year (e.g. 16:14, August 15, 2023).
Quote:
It's a de-facto standard set by the payment card industry, incorporated into law in some jurisdictions.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:27 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
How many newspapers use ISO date in their dateline. The only ones I'm familiar with are Chinese language publications; e.g the Peoples Daily (e.g. 2023年08月16日00:37), the English language edition (Xinhua) uses Month (in full), Day, Year (e.g. 16:14, August 15, 2023).

It's a de-facto standard set by the payment card industry, incorporated into law in some jurisdictions.

BR
Some of that is Legacy from before the days of electronic payment terminals world wide. Remember knuckle buster slips?

By the time someone went , there were millions of payment terminals with embedded code that did a pre-check (the card was a valid type 3x Amex, 4x visa, 5x MC, 6011 Discover and it passed checksum, the date was good (the dial-up connection fees were pricey (my break even was a $5 sale and you are not allowed a service fee or minimum) , worse for users using early cell access).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:27 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
How many newspapers use ISO date in their dateline.
Most newspapers have a shelf life of a day, though there are weeklies, I'd not even look at the date on our free local weekly.
Magazines are weekly or monthly.

I think it's a category where the date format is irrelevant. It's websites, computer documents, file directory views and food expiry dates where it's important. Food expiry should be ISO due to international trade, but I see many formats in the supermarket.

For years BBC and Movies used Roman year format to obfuscate the copyright year from ordinary viewers.
Old 08-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #42
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
In Argentina the date format is
DD/MM/YYYY the week begins on Monday and the expiration format of a credit card is expressed in MM/YY
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #43
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
There is a way to perform a Regular search into tags column for only 1 tag and exclude if the column value contain anothers tags inside it?

#librarys = "e-Book" >> OK
#librarys = "e-Book, Vrac" >> No

Note, I talks for Regular search, not a Template search.
Spoiler:
For a Template search, I'm good, I found this one
Code:
template:"""program: $#librarys == 'e-Book'#@#:t:1"""
but it's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Last edited by un_pogaz; 08-28-2023 at 03:26 PM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:00 PM   #44
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
There is a way to perform a Regular search into tags column for only 1 tag and exclude if the column value contain anothers tags inside it?

#librarys = "e-Book" >> OK
#librarys = "e-Book, Vrac" >> No

Note, I talks for Regular search, not a Template search.
Spoiler:
For a Template search, I'm good, I found this one
Code:
template:"""program: $#librarys == 'e-Book'#@#:t:1"""
but it's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks
TBH I'm not sure what you want. I think you want something like this
Code:
#librarys:"=e-Book" and #librarys:#=1
which looks for books where #librarys contains 1 value and that value equals e-Book.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:23 AM   #45
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
HOLY!!

Thanks you so mutch, is exatly what I search.

Hell, I didn't know that the '#' could be used to count the number of values for a Tags column. Damn, is in the manual, but is so little I have miss it.

That now learned. That will be a realy usefull trick.
Thanks again.

EDIT: And as expected, the Regular search syntax is faster than the Template search. A little, but perceptible (that with I search for this version).

Last edited by un_pogaz; 08-29-2023 at 07:38 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote