Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #91
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree. After owning the PW, a built-in front light will continue to be one of my must-haves in any new E-ink e-reader. It has proven too convenient and light weight compared to my past book lights and cover-lights, while also not losing too much battery life.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #92
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Since I purchased my Kobo Glo, I've stopped using a cover. Doesn't seem that delicate to me.
Same with Paperwhite. Seems more scratch resistant. A cover might protect against other forms of trauma, but I have not felt a need for same.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #93
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
If they claim to have a study showing that a frontlit screen is not a determinant, then they need to fire the firm that conducted that survey!
I suspect this was a survey of those in the market for a new reader (and maybe done a bit ago). There are a lot of people (including myself) that ended up with a lit reader by default (that was the way it came) not really having an interest in it. I would have answered the survey the way they found. Now having a front-lit reader I would never go back, but I'm not in the market for a new reader so I might not be captured in the survey. Likewise if they strictly surveyed current Sony owners/users who hadn't tried a front-lit screen they might not realize they really did want it.
There is no doubt that they need to either update their survey, or delve into it further.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
One thing to remember: front lighting isn't just for reading in dim light. The KPW is actualy designed to run with the light on everywhere except in direct sunlight. The frontlight increases the contrast and renders the background about as white as real paper.
So if Sony thinks that front lighting is only for reading in bed and thus not a sales driver, they are missing a(nother) big opportunity.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #95
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
^^This
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #96
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I can't translate the whole article right now, am a bit in a rush, but will try to do it until tonight.

In a nutshell, what she says in there is :
- they had a front-lit screen (they are very specifically speaking about this technology in the article Jon, or I would not have brought it in) with the 700 and it did not sell well
- their latest studies (done after the introduction of the newest generation of front-lit screens on the market) shows the consumer does not see it as a determinant criteria in the purchase decision (where I personally cannot agree with the study)
- they much rather have a dedicated lighted cover and concentrate on other functions for their e-reader, and on integration between all devices range, specifically talking about tablets.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #97
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Their front-lit 700 was vastly different from the current batch of front-lit readers.

I went to check out the 700 when it came out and the readability was decreased by the extra layer they placed over the lighting element.

I had a Sony 500, 505, 600 (didn't like this one), and 650. The front light on the Nook Glow prompted me to switch companies for the first time since I started buying a dedicated reader. (Oops, forgot, I did have an eBookwise way back when).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #98
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I would love to go back to a Sony ereader but it has to have a front lit screen, my Kindle PW is the only reader I use now and I have 4 ereaders. I would never buy a non lit reader again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #99
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Maybe there still is a market for a non-lighted reader, for new entrants or those that just don't see the need for a light? But the fact that just about everyone who has a lighted reader says they wouldn't go back suggests that it's only going to be a diminishing market.

So if what that person from Sony France says does reflect Sony's thinking, they are going to fall even further behind in the e-reader market. Unless they surprise us all by coming out with a flexible e-reader or something!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can someone please provide some hard evidence that Sony is indeed on the verge of announcing a new reader, as this thread title claims?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #101
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
A front-lit screen is now something I will never do without.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #102
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
There really is no hard evidence yet. But since Sony has been releasing a new model every year since 2006, the majority of us don't believe they are getting out of the ereader business as is speculated every year, especially since they just opened up a reader store in the UK. We're just hoping that the 2013 model will have be a front lit reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #103
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
This thread found its way to Nate's blog http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...comment-137280.

Thanks for the credit btw Nate....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
There really is no hard evidence yet. But since Sony has been releasing a new model every year since 2006, the majority of us don't believe they are getting out of the ereader business as is speculated every year, especially since they just opened up a reader store in the UK. We're just hoping that the 2013 model will have be a front lit reader.
That's my point: we don't know, and hence this thread title - a definitive statement that Sony are about to announce a new reader - is misleading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #105
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can someone actually do a proper translation? Seems they used the wrong words that translate into reading light when that is clearly incorrect.
The terms seem pretty obvious. autoéclairage de l'écran and intégration d'un système d'éclairage must mean an integrated light, and she doesn't mean one that comes with a cover because that comes up separately.

Either she's lying, ill-informed or Sony e-reader strategy is idiotic. I find it hard to believe that even crazy Sony could drop the ball on this. It's worth bearing in mind that Sony refused to confirm that the T1 runs on Android until after it was released, despite repeated questions. They are extremely cagey.

We shall see...

Last edited by Rizla; 04-10-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote